What you eat in Private, you wear in Public

Options
Am i the only one who struggles with this? I would sneak an extra bite while cleaning up from dinner or push down the food in my bowl so I could condense it and get more or I would wait until my husband was gone and eat as much as I could once I was alone.

It is SO hard to put those actions into writing but as I start this process I realize accountability is key! I need to accept me, and me alone did this to my body.

Hearing "What you eat in private, you wear in public.", really resounded with me. I was an emotional, sneaky eater but the ONLY person I was fooling was myself. And today I am going to change that. And tomorrow I will try to change that and I will keep trying everyday for the rest of my life. Because the other key part of this journey is realizing this can't just be a phase, this healthier way of living has to be my lifestyle.

Replies

• rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Be 100% accountable to yourself. I used to eat a lot more than my husband saw/thought I was eating. I was sneaky sometimes and sure wasn't fooling my body in the end. You can do this, and if you dedicate yourself to this process, you will do this. See that stomach picture above my name? It sure didn't look like that 5 months and 40 pounds ago. You CAN do this.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who struggles with this? I would sneak an extra bite while cleaning up from dinner or push down the food in my bowl so I could condense it and get more or I would wait until my husband was gone and eat as much as I could once I was alone.

It is SO hard to put those actions into writing but as I start this process I realize accountability is key! I need to accept me, and me alone did this to my body.

Hearing "What you eat in private, you wear in public.", really resounded with me. I was an emotional, sneaky eater but the ONLY person I was fooling was myself. And today I am going to change that. And tomorrow I will try to change that and I will keep trying everyday for the rest of my life. Because the other key part of this journey is realizing this can't just be a phase, this healthier way of living has to be my lifestyle.

<3
  • TwylahOnTrack
    TwylahOnTrack Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    Be 100% accountable to yourself. I used to eat a lot more than my husband saw/thought I was eating. I was sneaky sometimes and sure wasn't fooling my body in the end. You can do this, and if you dedicate yourself to this process, you will do this. See that stomach picture above my name? It sure didn't look like that 5 months and 40 pounds ago. You CAN do this.

Thank you for the encouragement! I love seeing that you achieving your goals, makes mine feel a little more possible as well! Thank you!❤
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    The first paragraph of your post pretty much sums up how i used to be. As soon as i was alone, i'd drive to the store and get a gallon of ice cream, order two pizzas and so on. It was so bad that my husband actually came to me once and said, "i think you should see a doctor because you barely eat anything and cant seem to lose weight " that's when i had to tell him what i did. It was very uncomfortable for me.
    In time i learned portion control and moderation and it all became much easier. I kept my goals in mind and thought to myself, by eating this entire gallon of ice cream i will be doing the opposite of what i need to do to reach my goals" again, in time it got easier.
    Keep your eyes on the prize
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    The first paragraph of your post pretty much sums up how i used to be. As soon as i was alone, i'd drive to the store and get a gallon of ice cream, order two pizzas and so on. It was so bad that my husband actually came to me once and said, "i think you should see a doctor because you barely eat anything and cant seem to lose weight " that's when i had to tell him what i did. It was very uncomfortable for me.
    In time i learned portion control and moderation and it all became much easier. I kept my goals in mind and thought to myself, by eating this entire gallon of ice cream i will be doing the opposite of what i need to do to reach my goals" again, in time it got easier.

You are so very brave! For owning and admitting your actions and even more brave for doing something about them! Thank you! I have a feeling these first few weeks of learning to say "No.", to all my urges will be hard but as you said...time will make it easier...and seeing the pounds drop won't hurt either! Thank you so much for sharing, I appreciate it!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. For me this is not a diet. This just how I'm going to live from now on. The things i should have been doing all along like make better food choices, stop when I'm full, eat a normal size portion and have a regular exercise routine. If only I would have done this 20 years ago.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Thank you for posting... this could be me, or maybe it is. You posting this helps me not feel so alone. Also that you share you've worked/working through it helps so much as well! @thorsmom01
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I find this to be 100% true. I came back from the break table, sat at the counter where I work, and realized I still had Krispy Kreme glaze crumbs on my shirt.

Seriously, though, logging has kept me from sneak-eating. I did LOTS of it before I started MFP.
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. For me this is not a diet. This just how I'm going to live from now on. The things i should have been doing all along like make better food choices, stop when I'm full, eat a normal size portion and have a regular exercise routine. If only I would have done this 20 years ago.

Those are things I need to work on as well! I am grateful that I am realizing this now at only 20 years old. But in your case, don't belittle what a great step this is! Truly it is better late than never! I support you 100%! We can all do this!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    I find this to be 100% true. I came back from the break table, sat at the counter where I work, and realized I still had Krispy Kreme glaze crumbs on my shirt.

Seriously, though, logging has kept me from sneak-eating. I did LOTS of it before I started MFP.

I am glad to hear it works! I just made my Diary private for the same reason, I want to be held accountable for what I do. No more sneaking around! Because honestly, it's pretty darn obvious what I've done to my body!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Those are things I need to work on as well! I am grateful that I am realizing this now at only 20 years old. But in your case, don't belittle what a great step this is! Truly it is better late than never! I support you 100%! We can all do this!
    I'm really glad you're doing it now at 20 as well. :) Your body will love you for it and you'll reap all the benefits, which are MANY in feeling healthier. :)
  • KeepRunning27
    KeepRunning27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always sneak in those extra bites as well. I too have to keep reminding myself that I'm o ly hurting myself in the end :(
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options

I'm really glad you're doing it now at 20 as well. :) Your body will love you for it and you'll reap all the benefits, which are MANY in feeling healthier. :)

Thank you!! Like I said, I have a really good chance of snapping back from this so young! Why wait until I'm older or more sick?! My body is in seriously rough shape but I am otherwise healthy and able and should be so very grateful and take advantage of it! I appreciate your encouragement!
  • TwylahOnTrack
    Options
    I always sneak in those extra bites as well. I too have to keep reminding myself that I'm o ly hurting myself in the end :(

I completely understand how you feel. And those extra bites seriously add up! I know for me I feel so full of shame and disgusted with myself afterwards I can't understand why I keep doing it! It's all a state of mind that we just have to change. It really is only ourselves that suffer. I support you and understand you completely so feel free to add me...we can keep eachother honest! Best of luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

Thank you for posting... this could be me, or maybe it is. You posting this helps me not feel so alone. Also that you share you've worked/working through it helps so much as well! @thorsmom01

Its difficult to break that habit but it can be done. One time i even told my husband that he must've accidentally left the freezer open and the food spoiled so i had to throw it away...in reality, i ate it all in the 10hr time period that he had been gone. Finally when i was ready, i started slowly by just making reasonable portions of the treats and it really helped . After i. Started to see results, i was hooked! That's when i started weighing and measuring those treats and logging them in here.
    Still to this day,i think about eating an entire cake in one sitting but i know that its not ideal and just have one serving. In order to maintain the body i want, i can't eat a whole cake but i can have a piece: )
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

You are so very brave! For owning and admitting your actions and even more brave for doing something about them! Thank you! I have a feeling these first few weeks of learning to say "No.", to all my urges will be hard but as you said...time will make it easier...and seeing the pounds drop won't hurt either! Thank you so much for sharing, I appreciate it!

Yes you can do it too. Once you see results, it does get so much easier! !!
    Remember, don't deprive yourself. Instead learn portion control and moderation.
    If i want cake, i have a serving. If i deprive myself, I'll end up going backwards and eating the entire cake.
    Keeping my diary private helps and weighing all foods helps also. Im not urged to cheat, when im the only one that will ever see it.
  • katieshaheen66
    katieshaheen66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I relate all too well with this. Before logging all of my food, I would do the same thing - take food into the bedroom and eat some snacks out of sight from my boyfriend... It wasn't until I starting logging everything that I realized how much all of that added up!!!! sometimes an extra 300-500 calories.