Goal weight reached, but belly still same size?!

Options

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My son has celiac disease and if he accidentally digests gluten, one of his symptoms is a hugely bloated abdomen like that. May be worth cutting out gluten for a month to see. If you want accurate testing though, see your doctor before you cut gluten out.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Try to see a gastro doc, a walk in clinic would be a waste of time you need someone that can work with you and follow up, etc. Not normal though.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This type of bloating affects me from time to time. I can eat broccoli and beans okay-- what seems to affect me most is carbonated beverages and candy/cakes/cookies. Setes I don't know what it is. Sucks. I may try probiotics!
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    All I can say is very interesting on how your stomach looks in the morning and then in the afternoon. Yes I know you don't like doctors but go to different ones and to see what they say.. And also go on google. Don't forget google is everyone's friend!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Don't forget google is everyone's friend!

Not mine. Lol. Whenever I consult with "Dr Google" I am diagnosed with cancer. I never google symptoms anymore or anxiety skyrockets so just be careful.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I eat gluten. I went on a gluten (wheat, rye, barley and some oats) free diet 30 years ago, so it's too late for me to get tested for celiac disease. I would suggest that you go to your doctor and get tested before you do any dietary changes. If you really don't want to go see a doctor than I would suggest to just completely, 100% not even a tiny bit, cut out dairy and gluten for at least two weeks and see if you feel a little better. Your gut is sending a message to you loud and clear.... HELP! - you should listen :-) Good luck!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Eating too many fodmaps! :) Try a week without.
  • XxStrengthInNumbersxX
    XxStrengthInNumbersxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same problem. The doctors said it could be gluten intolerance or allergies to food I was eating. They did a lot of testing and in the end it turned out to be caused by a stomach ulcer. You might have any of these so I'd ddefinitely recommend seeing a doctor
  • XxStrengthInNumbersxX
    XxStrengthInNumbersxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You also could have irritable bowel syndrome as that causes bloating
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You should see a dr, this is not normal
  • calbrecht2000
    calbrecht2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight of 140lbs just over a week ago, down 56lbs, but I have been having some stomach issues. I feel fine most mornings and my stomach is flat but by the end of the day and sometimes by the early afternoon, even when under my calories, my belly is huge. My sister said I don't look fat, I look pregnant. (I am NOT pregnant, my belly shrinks and extends.) My mom says it's to severe to be bloating. I have no idea what's going on here and I didn't want to rush into a walk in clinic. I don't trust doctors very much, so I want your opinions and experiences with getting rid of this! I worked hard and I want my flat belly (well, flat to me compared to before!), not this old me belly.

I have a social to go to next weekend and I want my stomach back!
  • silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My son has celiac disease and if he accidentally digests gluten, one of his symptoms is a hugely bloated abdomen like that. May be worth cutting out gluten for a month to see. If you want accurate testing though, see your doctor before you cut gluten out.

This is what I was thinking too. A friend of mine had the exact same issue, and she ended up being celiac.

• calbrecht2000
    calbrecht2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't tell by your pictures, but I do know (from experience) that my 'belly' is more pronounced if I have been on my feet all day at work, or in some seated position, where my posture is poor. When I have had 8 hours of being slouched over my desk, or standing and slouching, my belly grows! And just standing up straight for a minute, after work, doesn't make it go away. I have to be aware of my posture during the day to ensure my belly muscles behave, and stay flat, at night.
  • DocChelle
    DocChelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    From your symptoms, it sounds like an intolerance; either lactose intolerance, celiac's, or gluten sensitivity. All can really have onset at any time. It could also be a combo going on (gluten sensitivity and celiac can often manifest with lactose intolerance). We could further armchair diagnose you with the help of Dr. Google, but like was said earlier, you can come up with a lot of bad things that way. A doctor, specifically a gastroenterologist, can do tests to confirm any of these and it's important to get tested (especially to confirm or rule out celiac's, as that is an autoimmune disorder due to the inappropriate inflammatory response that damages the intestinal walls).

PS, while I am technically a doctor as my screen name suggests, I'm a PhD in immunology, not an MD, so i've hit the info limit for this unless you want to know the mechanics of each. (A friend suggested the name and everything I kept trying was unavailable, so I went with it)
  • chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar, dairy, and grains (primal style eating), and my stomach shrank almost immediately.

I agree with this. Sugar and grains make me bloat and retain water pretty badly. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago and found that cutting these things out have made my gas, bloating, irregularity, and stomach pains disappear.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor, ask for a food allergy test by blood and ask for a Celiac Diease Antibody Panel by name (CDAP).

You may truly have a gluten intolerance. A lot of ppl claim to have one bc its trendy and dont.

Looks like food allergy, gluten intolerance, wheat belly, Celiac Disease to me.

Show the Doctor these photos. Go see a a doctor.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

THIS THIS THIS. Go to a doctor. Its best to have a diagnosis if it is Celiac Disease.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everybody!
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    food enzymes. eat them with each meal. I use the one called Fast Food Enzymes by natural balance. I eat them with each meal that has vegetables or beans or gourds. I would also cut out the bread and dairy just to see if that's causing the issues. but I know I can't live without my enzymes, I carry them every where I go.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That is how I look if I eat too much wheat. I have a minor wheat allergy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!