Mystery Headaches

Options
Having really awful headaches tonight and I'm not sure if it's because of caffeine withdrawal or from my diet?? Is it possible to get bad headaches when you start off a healthy diet? Any advice would help.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you just gave up caffeine completely and you used to drink a lot, you might have some withdrawal. It should pass after a relatively short time.

It's not likely the diet, but if you're eating something that's new to you, there might be something you added that you have a sensitivity against. That's a very low probability, though.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Dehydration?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    lampele wrote: »
    Having really awful headaches tonight and I'm not sure if it's because of caffeine withdrawal or from my diet?? Is it possible to get bad headaches when you start off a healthy diet? Any advice would help.

Asking internet randoms is a REAL bad idea.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    lampele wrote: »

Asking internet randoms is a REAL bad idea.

Indeed. Get yourself to a doctor if the headaches continue.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Could be as simple as allergies. I live in central Texas and my head hasn't stopped hurting in days. :D
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is anecdotal but when I went caffeine free I had raging headaches every evening for almost a week. I was a pot-a-day or more coffee drinker and giving it up messed with me in more than one way but the headaches were the worst.

I'd see a doctor if it continues but caffeine withdrawal can be a cause.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal can cause a significant headache. The advice to stay well hydrated is good and easy to follow.

My magic headache cure, which sometimes even works for migraines, is a bottle of full-sugar Gatorade and 2 Kroger knock-off Excedrin. Not sure why, but they work better than the brand-name pills.

How bad is bad? If this is the worst headache you've ever had, if it lasts more than a day, if the pain is radiating beyond your head, or if you can't touch your chin to your chest, get yourself to a doctor/urgent care/the ER right away.

I'm an aneurysm survivor and I lost a sister to meningitis...if it's really bad, get it checked out.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Headaches plural like happening frequently, and not just one night, would be something to speak to your doctor about. Then again I suffer from migraines that can drop me for days leaving me in the fetal position in a dark room. Though ceasing to consume caffeine can leave you with a headache for a short period. If it lasts more than a few days, gets worse, or is not responding to pain medication like Advil I would still contact your doctor just to be safe.