Calories burned waking?

Options
Before I got a walking monitor I would only count my "workout" time into calories burned, but I've noticed that some days wearing a pedometer I'll walk 7 miles without noticing, while other days I'll do barley 1. There has to be a difference in calorie burn right? I know I can't just factor ALL of the mileage into calories burned because my daily calorie needs already factor in waking (I have it for sedentary, but even sedentary people walk a mile or so just from their car to work.) so.... Help?

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Most people will say set it for sedentary and at the end of the day if you got a few hundred calories from your tracker then maybe have a snack.

But if you are consistently over then you could figure out the average and increase the activity until it came out even most days. That might be easier for meal planning. It would also represent sort of a commitment to burn at least that many calories, so no more 1 mile days.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    oh...I read your question again. Do you have a pedometer that does not sync automatically? So you want to know how many miles of walking are assumed in the sedentary number, right? And then you would enter the amount above that many miles as a workout for the day.

I'm sure it depends a lot on gender and weight and other random factors, but I can tell you that my Fitbit goes from negative to positive on calorie adjustment at around 1,000 steps. That's maybe half a mile. (very rough guesstimate).
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I can't imagine they only expect u to walk half a mile in daily allowance though, it's like 200 calories over my BMR
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A close estimate is about 100 calories per mile. It differs depending on one's weight and age but that's a pretty good estimate of calories burned.

You can also try this calculator:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    A close estimate is about 100 calories per mile.

Only if you're about 325 pounds.

Scale that 100 down according to your actual weight.

Dear G-d, no. That calculator is double-counting BMR.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit, I burn around 1000 calories walking 10 miles.

I know this is correct, as I eat most, sometimes all of those back and haven't gained an ounce. I'm in maintenance.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I know this is correct, as I eat most, sometimes all of those back and haven't gained an ounce. I'm in maintenance.

Eating "most" back and not gaining indicates that either your logging is incorrect or the burn provided from your Fitbit is.

If fitbit burn = X and you eat back X - any amount it would create a deficit ... unless X is not what you truly burn from walking ten miles.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

So you finally made it to target with the walking? When did that happen?
    Gratz.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Eating "most" back and not gaining indicates that either your logging is incorrect or the burn provided from your Fitbit is.

If fitbit burn = X and you eat back X - any amount it would create a deficit ... unless X is not what you truly burn from walking ten miles.

I'd blame my logging, if anything, I don't log oils or weigh bread, or the odd chocolate square here or there etc anymore, I'm much more relaxed and not as strict these days. My main aim is to maintain, as long as that happens I'm good. After your comment I'm not sure what to think...

I've always thought that if you have your calories set at maintenance levels and you eat back all of your exercise calories then you will maintain your weight....

999tigger wrote: »

So you finally made it to target with the walking? When did that happen?
    Gratz.

Thank you :* Pretty much since April. Although it's been bloody cold and rainy here lately, so I haven't been as eager to get out there :s

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'd blame my logging, if anything, I don't log oils or weigh bread, or the odd chocolate square here or there etc anymore, I'm much more relaxed and not as strict these days. My main aim is to maintain, as long as that happens I'm good. After your comment I'm not sure what to think...

I've always thought that if you have your calories set at maintenance levels and you eat back all of your exercise calories then you will maintain your weight....

You will. If you only eat back most and still maintain there is an incorrect value in the formula somewhere.

Using the formula in Runners World or the MET tables ... burning 1000 gross calories for ten miles of walking requires about 200 pounds of body weight.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I eat back "most", to account for incorrect logging. I always try and leave a couple hundred in the bank.
    Whatever it is I'm doing has evened itself out.

I have over thought this cico thing to the point of obsession in the past... I'm at the stage of I don't care how it works, as long as it works :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I read this right, exercise is steady state or activity requiring physical effort, carried out especially to sustain or improve health and fitness, in other words, mileage walking to and from the car, around the house, taking out the trash and walking to mail box, doing chores, cooking, feeding the dogs, could add up to 5 - 6 miles depending on how much but is NOT a calorie burn.. your BMR calories include, getting up to go the bathroom, walk to the kitchen, walk to the mail box, taking shower...

And if I make an effort to walk around my block, it is .98 a mile and if I walk it briskly I can burn 120 calories but again, this was a purposeful walk involving increase heart rate, muscle movements, etc...

• Christine_72
    Options
    Before I got my fitbit, I potted around like normal for the first few days, and I averaged between 2000-2500 steps at the very most everyday. I work from home, so rarely have to leave the house.
    NOW I make sure to hit 20,000+ everyday. Obviously I don't hit it everyday, but I do get in at least 15,000.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    WOW, I miss-read that title completely! :|
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Snow3y wrote: »
    WOW, I miss-read that title completely! :|

Haha I had to go check. I didn't even notice the typo!