The Chinese Take-Away

Options
My family LOVE a Chinese Take-Away and I am meeting them all tomorrow (the Take-Away menu's are already in circulation.)

I did some research the last time we indulged and I found Chicken Satay with boiled rice the lowest kcal option.

Any other suggestions for low kcal options, so that I can indulge without bringing MyFitnessPal to it's knees?

Thanks

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Although not very fun, the steamed options with sauce on the side are low cal. I say enjoy your treat and just move on B)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Steamed shrimp or chicken with veggies and white rice. Any variation of Mei Fun.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a Chinese Buffet tonight and plan to eat 3000 cals lol. Chinese is full of sodium so don't be scared if you weigh yourself over the next few days and the scale is high. Drink plenty of water and it will soon regulate itself back to normal.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    With Chinese, the sodium is an issue, so make sure you drink plenty of water. Other than that, enjoy it, log it and move on. :)
  • Hungrydesperado
    Hungrydesperado Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it :)
  • madlaser504
    madlaser504 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mu shu pork, or brocoli beef
  • Simon99Smith
    Simon99Smith Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips of the sodium - will make sure the water intake is high for the next few days :)
  • Simon99Smith
    Options
    Mu shu pork, or brocoli beef

Good ideas - cheers
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips of the sodium - will make sure the water intake is high for the next few days :)

Good man. Enjoy yourself. I'm going too. :)
  • Simon99Smith
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Good man. Enjoy yourself. I'm going too. :)

Exactly - otherwise it all gets a bit too serious!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Miso soup is low cal. They usually have hot tea which helps to stop me from over eating. Edamame is good, too (I go to a Chinese/Japanese/Thai all-in-one place so I don't know if edamame is a Chinese item or Japanese). Sauces on the side, steamed meats, steamed broccoli, white rice (I eat like half of what they serve). Fortune cookie is only 25-35 calories. :smile:

Sodium is definitely high, so be sure to stay hydrated and don't be too scared of the possible jump in your weight. Even if you go off-plan, enjoy your time! It's just one meal. Get back on track at your next meal. Life's too short to be perfect all the time. That's my thought.
  • Simon99Smith
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    Miso soup is low cal. They usually have hot tea which helps to stop me from over eating. Edamame is good, too (I go to a Chinese/Japanese/Thai all-in-one place so I don't know if edamame is a Chinese item or Japanese). Sauces on the side, steamed meats, steamed broccoli, white rice (I eat like half of what they serve). Fortune cookie is only 25-35 calories. :smile:

Sodium is definitely high, so be sure to stay hydrated and don't be too scared of the possible jump in your weight. Even if you go off-plan, enjoy your time! It's just one meal. Get back on track at your next meal. Life's too short to be perfect all the time. That's my thought.

Thanks and share the sentiment. You have to have a little bad to enjoy the good - right?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Thanks and share the sentiment. You have to have a little bad to enjoy the good - right?

That's right!

Oh, also egg foo young is good too, gravy on the side. It's basically a veggie and meat omlet, althougo be sure to account for a bit of cooking oil.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, and just control the portions. There's nothing compelling you to eat the whole thing.

I enjoy Hot and Spicy Beef or Chicken with white rice; it's usually loaded with veggies. Although the local place makes a great chicken & asparagus when it's in season, and that can't be beat... so delicious.

If you're concerned about calories, just eat half the meal and save the rest for the next day. Portion control is totally up to you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

You have to have a little bad to enjoy the good - right?

Chinese food (or any other food for that matter) isn't inherently 'bad.'
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Shrimp with Lobster Sauce (I discovered this at P.F. Chang's and order it everywhere since then). Pretty low in calories and filling for what you get, although the sodium is a nightmare.
    I also love wonton soup, but again, sodium.
    If you're more concerned about calories than sodium - just about any soup will do.
    If you're concerned about both equally - go for something steamed without any soy sauces. Try to get some protein in there, take it easy on the rice, and load up on broccoli and other vegetables!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Im quite happy to have a blow out and eat all the food every once in a while, so I wouldnt worry myself.

That said, if I am trying to be "good" then the won ton soup is usually a good shout. Very filling and relatively low cal.
  • Simon99Smith
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I really enjoy Shrimp with Lobster Sauce (I discovered this at P.F. Chang's and order it everywhere since then). Pretty low in calories and filling for what you get, although the sodium is a nightmare.
    I also love wonton soup, but again, sodium.
    If you're more concerned about calories than sodium - just about any soup will do.
    If you're concerned about both equally - go for something steamed without any soy sauces. Try to get some protein in there, take it easy on the rice, and load up on broccoli and other vegetables!

Good tips - thanks - need to get my hands on the menu now. :smiley:
  • Simon99Smith
    Options
    Im quite happy to have a blow out and eat all the food every once in a while, so I wouldnt worry myself.

That said, if I am trying to be "good" then the won ton soup is usually a good shout. Very filling and relatively low cal.

Thanks - I think that's sort of where I am at now.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    All of the places around here have plain steamed protein and vegetable (different variations) with sauce on the side. I have ordered plain steamed chicken and broccoli for probably the last 20 years lol. You can drizzle the sauce on or toss it. I typically eat that and omit the rice.