Same measurements but different weight?

Options
How does this happen? I have virtually the same measurements, yet there is a 4 lb difference. I am 5'3 and 37. My goal weight is 130.

June 2013 - 134 lbs (post baby #1)
Waist 30.5
Hips 36.5
Thighs 20
Chest 36
Calves 14

June 2015 - 138 lbs (post baby #2)
Waist 30.5
Hips 36
Thighs 19.5
Chest 36
Calves 14

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    How much different would you expect the measurements to be to account for a change as small as four pounds?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well on someone my size, 5'3, it is one clothing size.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We can be terrible at measuring ourselves. Tape placement, how tightly you pull the tape? They all matter.

I have lost almost 44 pounds. My old pants? Fall off me.

With the exception of my waist, I still get the same measurements when I try to take mine. I've just given up and go by my clothes and the scale and am happy with my gym progress.

Also, 4 pounds isn't very much weight.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    That's true, maybe I'm not measuring the exact same every time, even though I try to.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Over the course of 2 years you can have a lot of changes in fat, muscle, water retention/water weight, skin, etc. Additionally, remember that fat is spread over your entire body. Muscle is spread throughout most of your body. Imagine that 4 lbs is like a 4 lb tub of butter. You could smear it all over your body and not substantially impact any of your measurements.

Also- it's very hard to measure the same body parts accurately. There's some error in exactly where you measure (especially since your waist location changes as a result of pregnancy) and how tight you pull the tape.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Could it be different body composition - muscle to fat ratio?

Say - if you fill a bag with feathers or sand - it will be the same size but the weight will be different.

You may have more muscles but less fat (I know I've got some muscles from carrying my toddler around ;) )
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds since my last measurement check and some of my measurements were BIGGER. It's definitely human error and really difficult to be precise. As everyone else said, 4 pounds is almost nothing and you can fluctuate those 4 pounds in a day. Don't stress.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 inches shorter than you, and from recent reading I've done, I probably won't see inches lost until I lose at least 8-10 lbs. You'll have to give it more time.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dewsmom78 wrote: »
    Well on someone my size, 5'3, it is one clothing size.

If your measurements are the same. any amount of weight should not make a difference in the clothing size. Clothing size is based on measurements...not weight.

and 4 lbs difference is nothing.

I was a size 6 last year in measurement 32/27/38 141 lbs
    I am a size 2 today 34/25/37 and drum roll.....141 lbs
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @sarahlifts hahaha that drum roll got me lol'ing
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, 5 feet tall and 120lbs. I'm currently wearing a 0/2, but before I had my daughter, I wore a 2/4 at this weight.