Can't seem to stomach any meat besides chicken...Vegan/Veggi

Options
Hey all I know that many of you don't eat meat and thats great. I am pregnant and meat is begining to taste horrible to me. I can only seem to stomach chicken anymore. When i bite into turkey, beef or pork it taste like old blood. iron like to me.

So I need suggestions on other things I can eat that have protien in them. Ohhh btw peanut butter makes me gag

Replies

• aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try the Morningstar veggie burger line. They have GREAT tasting flavors. I recommend the spicy black bean and the tomato & basil pizza flavors!
    Like eggs? Great protein source, there!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    try eating more beans - black beans, garbanzo's, red beans...they are good protein sources.

Congrats on the baby!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What about fish? Salmon is a great source of protein.

Eggs are good as well as starchy beans. Cheese has protein in it also, though there is debate on whether or not it's a good protein source. It's better than no protein.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What about fish? Salmon is a great source of protein.

Eggs are good as well as starchy beans. Cheese has protein in it also, though there is debate on whether or not it's a good protein source. It's better than no protein.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    you can do tuna ever so often, also cottage cheese, have you tried any protein shakes or bars?
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Cottage cheese and plain yogurt are great protein sources!!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Some protein sources that come to the top of my mind are: tofu, raw nuts & seeds, edamame (green soy) beans, Garden of Life Raw protein powder, Sun Warrior Raw protein powder, egg whites, fish (white, pink and red varieties), seafood, beans & lentils.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had hyperemesis my first 6 mts of pregnancy. That is when morning sickness is so severe, nothing at all stays down. I was on medication to keep water down!

I lost 15 lbs in my first trimester, and was emaciated.

That being said, despite my lack of food, the baby was fine! The baby gets everything from you. You are the one that needs protein, not the baby. So if worse comes to worse, the baby will still be healthy.

That being said, try yogurt. Or a smoothie with yogurt in it, with fruit. You will get some protein there. Try to eat tofu in a stir fry if you can. Also, a slice of pizza would work too!
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    yea, the things above that were said {cottage cheese, salmon, egg whites, greek yogurt} are all what I was going to say too.

If you can stand to drink those general whey protein shakes, like the big jar they have at costco, I highly recommend those too. I prefer to use the chocolate kind with a banana and milk. the banana milk really removes the otherwise blah taste of the powder. the vanilla is good too if you like to mix in strawberries or other fruits you like.

and the scoop of protein powder is enough for at least an entire meal worth of nutrition. I enjoy the not over stuffed and not feeling bloated feeling after eating these as well.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice :) I am seeing a nutrionist tomorrow to see what else I can do,
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    Hey -
    I'm veggie (mostly vegan). Its winter here and my fave at the moment is a clear soup with tofu/chickpeas/lentils/bok choy/mushrooms whatever else in it.
    If its not soup weather where you are, you could try a stir fry with firm tofu, or the tofu quiche which I've posted the recipe to below, its AWESOME
    http://happyherbivore.com/2010/03/vegan-quiche-greens/
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    or, try nutribiotics rice protein powder blended with lite soy or rice milk :)
  • thisishowwepray
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for about 10 years, and vegan for much of that time. For protein, I like:

-Hummus
    -Fake meats (i.e. Tofurkey & Gardenburger... these are basically junk food but they are delicious)
    -Beans, lentils (in soup, or make a burrito or wrap)
    -Eggs (hard-boil a bunch ahead of time and they are an easy snack, or make egg salad)
    -Nuts
    -Dairy (low-fat/portion-controlled)

You can throw a bunch of these in combination on a salad and get a protein-packed meal. For example, you could use some chopped up Tofurkey, chickpeas, hardboiled egg, some walnuts, and some low-fat cheese all in one salad and get your protein for the whole day.

What about other nut butters? Soynut butter is good and lower cal than PB, and almond butter is delicious.

Good luck! Once you get used to it, it's easy.