How do I manage a fitness with a crazy work schedule?

Options
Hey Guys,

I am working for 14-15 hours a day and primarily on my desk, interacting mostly with clients. Most of the times I end up eating on my desk and by the time it's evening, I'm too exhausted for anything. I do feel guilty at times for doing this but how do I manage my crazy schedule with fitness during a regular week..! Any suggestions would be much helpful. Many thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would focus on diet and incidental exercise (taking stairs, walking an extra bus stop etc) rather than trying to fit more in to your schedule. You need time to rest and have a life!

I have a busy schedule, and make time for training as it's a big priority for me. I train with my husband, so it's not time we're taking away from spending with each other - if it wasn't that way, I would reconsider training so much.
  • spirit7125
    spirit7125 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This was my life for a very long time, and I finally figured something out.
    The work will always be there.
    Take an hour for yourself every morning before work. Maybe you will find you're more productive at work and less tired after! Good luck!! :-)
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I work about 60 hrs/week teaching. Combined with a 45-minute commute each way, I thought that there's little time for me to really get any exercise in before I'm in bed and back up again. I even used to try to go to the gym at 3:30 in the morning since that's where I could fit it in my schedule.

What helped motivate me was getting a fitness tracker and seeing how many steps I take during the day, then attempting to make it to 10k by bedtime. Some days I hit it without doing much in the evening, other days I either go for a walk or use the treadmill.

What about walking around your office while talking to clients? Walking to get lunch? Going up and down the stairs at work a couple times? Walking around your building while on your lunch break? All of these activities add up and get you closer to the 10k step goal, which helps you burn calories, which helps you lose weight. You can do it!!
  • youtastelike
    youtastelike Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, how many days do you work for 14-15 hours in one week? If its more than 4, than simply quit the job, serously. Working more than 5x8 + 5x4 (wich means a full time job _plus_ a half time job and thus 12 hours on 5 days per week) is simply illegal in a lot of countries, including mine. If you do have 3 rest days, than you can do 3 exercise sessions per week which could be enough. If you do have some time during these 14-15 hour long working sessions, then use them fto do 15-20 min long higher intensity workouts. If you really constantly work 75 hours per week and you do accept this situation without quitting and a fat lawsuit, then try Redbeard333's method, Fitbit.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is a ton of work!

I am a full time student and I also work and volunteer, so my schedule gets very busy. I started scheduling my workouts. I keep gym clothes and shoes in my locker at school and for the summer, I also keep a set under my desk at work. My locker and desk have snacks such as roasted chick peas, rice cakes, granola bars and shelf stable almond milk packets so I could manage my intake better.

But anyways, as I was saying... I scheduled workouts like they were a meeting or a class. 20 minutes to half an hour or more once or twice a week. I didn't really overthink what I was doing, my goal was simply to make it a habit to get to the gym.

I also started using the stairs more, walking a couple bus stops more and using my leisure time differently. When I hang out with friends, we do things like go for walks, yoga, biking, swimming or to the trampoline park (my personal favourite night out).

When I have more time, I fit in going to the gym more. When I have less time, I go less but still make time. Life is always gonna give us something better to do, so it's important to know your priorities. It makes it easier to make the choice to find a way to get active.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh man! The only thing that comes to mind is getting a Fitbit or some other kind of fitness tracker! Grab some friends maybe to even join you for motivation. Usually they come with step goals starting at 10k a day! I find that when I'm getting home at night, if I've not yet reached my goal, I'm willing to even go out on a walk at 11pm just to meet it!

For additional exercising though, if you're serious, you could always go to the gym before work or stop by on the way home from work. Maybe the gym has a pool you can just stretch out in for a half hour while you kick back and forth.

Since you are at a your desk for a lot of time, I'd recommend bringing healthier items to snack on. Record their nutritional values into MFP before you pack them, that way you can see where you'll be for the day and you can make changes accordingly if you feel necessary.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    spirit7125 wrote: »
    This was my life for a very long time, and I finally figured something out.
    The work will always be there.
    Take an hour for yourself every morning before work. Maybe you will find you're more productive at work and less tired after! Good luck!! :-)

this. i'm sure that you can find a way to not only give yourself an hour every morning to exercise, but also thirty minutes to step away from your desk to eat lunch. it will benefit you in the long run.

meal preping for an hour or so a weekend is a great way to make sure that you have healthy food in your house. make a dozen hardboiled eggs, throw in two pounds of seasoned chicken in a crockpot, make a big pot of rice, prep some salads, make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks (apples, bananas, oranges, carrots, raisnins, almonds, etc) in your home to just grab and go.
  • tudoroaks4
    tudoroaks4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is there a gym near or in your office building? Take an hour for a lunchbreak, go to the gym and then eat at your desk like usual.
  • sheen467
    sheen467 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! Completely overwhelmed with all your support. I do not have a gym at my client location and because I work with differnt time zones all over the world, it gets really difficult to plan a time for lunch (I do try a short walk a in between whenever I find some time) or and even manage to get out of the office. To add to this, I am travelling upto 4 days a week, so surviving practically on a lot of takeaway sandwiches, salads and fruit (and occasionally) pasta and fried stuff).
    But I certainly got some great ideas here. I think my first step would be to get to 10k steps a day and keep a track of what I eat. I know fitness is a lifestyle. Will try to incorporate it starting with 15 min slots everyday..thanks people! Much appreciated :)
  • sheen467
    sheen467 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Helloo Pals,

I just came back to let you know that after all your support n suggestions, I was able to finally start my fitness journey with my crazy work life. Bought myself an activity tracker with the goal of reaching 10000 steps a day. Also, started running again n eating clean. Just lost 1kg in 2 weeks.. I know it's only a start but thanks for your positive n creative suggestions, it has certainly pumped me up! Feeling super motivated..Hugs to you all☺️