Can't put down the sweets

Options
cmills003
cmills003 Posts: 21 Member
Hi I'm new to mfp - wondering what advice people have to avoid the sweets? I work with a bunch of women and everyday someone brings in some kind of sweet

Replies

• lateciarichards
    lateciarichards Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand!
  • Name_Me_Whatever
    Name_Me_Whatever Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just say no lol! I gave into temptation a couple days ago and almost choked on a donut cuz I ate it sooo fast! It makes no sense to eat horrible food! The fillers and sugar make it a hard habit to break! Think of sweets like you would cigarettes!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Just say no! Unless it's really worth it and you can fit it in to your day.

I find having my meals planned and prepped helps... I can avoid food easily if I've got an alternative
  • LucasBuk
    LucasBuk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cmills003 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to mfp - wondering what advice people have to avoid the sweets? I work with a bunch of women and everyday someone brings in some kind of sweet

I tend to have a piece of fruit ready or eat Dark chocolate.
  • cmills003
    Options
    Ok gonna go cold turkey
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Same here. I usually have some gum on standby and just say no thank you, or bring some home for my husband :smile:
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Bring a piece of sweet fruit (orange, nectarine, apple, etc). Cutting sugar out of your diet totally will also help with cravings. Feel free to add me.
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Willpower rarely works.

Bring in dark chocolate and eat a bar whenever the urge hits. Another option is to bring in a protein bar that's low in sugar. I like Detour. The protein bar I eat has 310 calories, 30g of protein and only 4g of sugar.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've found that being comfortable saying "no" has been very helpful. In the past I would always accept offered treats, or pick at the candy jar throughout the day. And those things would put me over my goal or force me to cut out something else later.

But now I can easily and comfortably say no, even if people are shoving cake at me. I'm never rude about it. And I never make it about weight loss. I just politely and insistently refuse. No hurt feelings and I stay on track.
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok gonna go cold turkey

Good luck, but what will probably happen is you'll be good for s few days. Maybe even a week. Then the urge will hit you one day when coworkers are shoving treats in your face. You will have a few treats and you will regret what you did. Then the cycle will repeat.

To eliminate a bad habit you need to replace it with a good habit. Think about smokers who try to quit cold turkey. How many actually succeed? Not many. The ones that were successful replaced smoking with a healthy habit, like exercise or nutrious food.
  • cmills003
    Options
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    Willpower rarely works.

Bring in dark chocolate and eat a bar whenever the urge hits. Another option is to bring in a protein bar that's low in sugar. I like Detour. The protein bar I eat has 310 calories, 30g of protein and only 4g of sugar.

What type of protein bars? I know there are some junk ones out that defeat the purpose..
  • Justinelovezumba32
    Justinelovezumba32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. My job is that way. I bring carrots and fruit from home and that helps out a lot. After a while you wont even see it!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Just say no lol! I gave into temptation a couple days ago and almost choked on a donut cuz I ate it sooo fast! It makes no sense to eat horrible food! The fillers and sugar make it a hard habit to break! Think of sweets like you would cigarettes!

I try to think of this the same way! Sugar is as addicting as any drug, triggers the same response in the brain and American sweets are designed to keep you hooked. I try to avoid these food and in return I stop craving them. The first time I ever did a sugar detox it took me a good 15 days before I felt like I didn't need them anymore. Of course I have some ice cream or a chocolate bar from time to time, I'm human, but it's a treat and I make it during a time of celebration or special occasion.
  • cmills003
    Options
    I've found that being comfortable saying "no" has been very helpful. In the past I would always accept offered treats, or pick at the candy jar throughout the day. And those things would put me over my goal or force me to cut out something else later.

But now I can easily and comfortably say no, even if people are shoving cake at me. I'm never rude about it. And I never make it about weight loss. I just politely and insistently refuse. No hurt feelings and I stay on track.

My problem is I can say no but then they just keep asking and I cave and once I cave oh sweet baby Jesus its all over
  • cmills003
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    Willpower rarely works.

What type of protein bars? I know there are some junk ones out that defeat the purpose..

mxs6uz0rff6w.png

^ these are some of my absolute favorites that make it "easier"

Thanks!!
  • cmills003
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    Willpower rarely works.

mxs6uz0rff6w.png

^ these are some of my absolute favorites that make it "easier"

Thank you!
  • aesquivel47
    aesquivel47 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    two things i do to try and satisfy my cravings for sweets. i eat berries, picking up and eating each one separately like a would with a box of chocolates. 2nd, i pop a low fat/no fat greek yogurt in the freezer for 45 minutes and eat it like ice cream.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So of course the answer is just say no. But that is really hard to do. And sometimes it is harder than others.

The best advice I have is to make sure you are eating foods you like!!! If I am really enjoying the foods I eat, I'll have no problem passing on the fries or cookies or brownies. I have had periods where I've been unable to resist the sweets, but I realized that that happens when I stop enjoying the other food I'm eating. So I try really hard not to eat something just because it's healthy. I always have good healthy meals to look forward to. And I treat myself to snacks that are low in calories (popcorn yummm). This is not perfect every day, and there are days when I just have to grab a really boring salad, but if on the whole I'm giving myself food I like, I find it much easier to reject the unhealthy stuff.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

My problem is I can say no but then they just keep asking and I cave and once I cave oh sweet baby Jesus its all over

Can you tell them hey I know you are being sweet by offering the sweets but seriously I don't want them and would appreciate it if you would not ask?