can you eat Paleo and do Macros?

Options
sara1984
sara1984 Posts: 15 Member
Hi, I am currently trying to get back on track and not sure what and how much to eat. I see the new thing is counting macros. Personally Paleo works for me. How would I incorporate macros? I am 5'1 approx 210 lbs. My goal is 140 lean muscle and within a year. Also I will incorporate crossfit at least 3-4 times a week. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be "lean muscle" at 5'1" and 140 pounds.

If Paleo (however you define it) "works" for you, why are you needing to get back on track?

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can fill your macros with whatever foods you like, so yes you can do Paleo whilst following "IIFYM".... Your choices will just be restricted to Paleo approved options
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    sara1984 wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently trying to get back on track and not sure what and how much to eat. I see the new thing is counting macros. Personally Paleo works for me. How would I incorporate macros? I am 5'1 approx 210 lbs. My goal is 140 lean muscle and within a year. Also I will incorporate crossfit at least 3-4 times a week. Thanks in advance.

You make it sound like another fad diet!

Unless you are eating less than you burn, counting your macros won't do squat. It can help with nutrition, sure, but you are going to be extremely limited if you're doing the Paleo thing too.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can track your macros with any diet. It might make sense to see where you are now (just track them for a while) and think about whether you are happy with that or want to adjust. It's reasonably easy to do paleo within a wide range of macros (would be harder to do high carb, but 40-30-30 would certainly be doable), so just depends on what macros you think would be good for you. But if you are successful now and getting enough protein and fat (which I'd assume), then no need to.
  • sara1984
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You're not going to be "lean muscle" at 5'1" and 140 pounds.

If Paleo (however you define it) "works" for you, why are you needing to get back on track?

I know muscle weighs more then fat and at my "smallest" I could never go below 125-128. This semester with work and school I got overwhelmed and didn't keep up with food prep /exercise and gained some weight back.
  • sara1984
    Options

You make it sound like another fad diet!

Unless you are eating less than you burn, counting your macros won't do squat. It can help with nutrition, sure, but you are going to be extremely limited if you're doing the Paleo thing too.

No I know it's not a fad diet because I see results for other people and it works. It's scientific. Maybe a better question is, which is best Paleo or counting Macros?
  • sara1984
    Options
    You can fill your macros with whatever foods you like, so yes you can do Paleo whilst following "IIFYM".... Your choices will just be restricted to Paleo approved options

Thank you. I will Google IIFYM
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you can do anything and count macros...IIFYM isn't a diet plan...it's simply counting YOUR macros...the "Y" is pretty important in IIFYM.
  • sara1984
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can track your macros with any diet. It might make sense to see where you are now (just track them for a while) and think about whether you are happy with that or want to adjust. It's reasonably easy to do paleo within a wide range of macros (would be harder to do high carb, but 40-30-30 would certainly be doable), so just depends on what macros you think would be good for you. But if you are successful now and getting enough protein and fat (which I'd assume), then no need to.

I will try it a week and see how I feel. Thank you.
  • sara1984
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!

Do you not think it's beneficial or they don't compliment each other nutrition wise?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

People track their macros to make sure they're eating the right balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates for their training/goals. If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) includes staying within your calories, which is required for weight loss, regardless of dietary plan.

If Paleo "works" for you, why did you stop?

I don't know about 140 lbs = lean muscle. Here's a good guide in order to set reasonable expectations: http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=155&age=any&weight=64&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype= I put in 5'1 and 140 lbs.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!

Do you not think it's beneficial or they don't compliment each other nutrition wise?

It's not an either/or. Your macros are just your macros... you have macros no matter what/how you're eating.

Counting macros means deciding on how you want to split your calories by macros. That's it. So if you normally eat 80g carbs (320 cal), 100g protein (400 cal), 60g fat (540 cal) = 1260 cals. But instead of trying to hit 1260 however it falls, you try to hit those macros specifically.

(Fat is 9 calories per gram. Protein and carbs are 4 cals per gram.)

So eat however you want. Vegan, paleo, "clean", vegetarian, or whatever makes you happy (want pizza, make it fit). Count macros or count calories, just stick to a target, eating how you want to.
  • sara1984
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

People track their macros to make sure they're eating the right balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates for their training/goals. If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) includes staying within your calories, which is required for weight loss, regardless of dietary plan.

If Paleo "works" for you, why did you stop?

I don't know about 140 lbs = lean muscle. Here's a good guide in order to set reasonable expectations: http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=155&age=any&weight=64&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype= I put in 5'1 and 140 lbs.

I stopped due to being over whelmed with school/ work etc. Didn't meal prep/exercise and got "comfortable" again. The reason I stated 140/lean muscle bc I could never get smaller then 125-128 size 3. And that was when I was athletic pre baby. I want to be healthy. Thanks for the link, I'm looking at it now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't think paleolithic people tracked macros, so no...
  • sara1984
    Options
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!

It's not an either/or. Your macros are just your macros... you have macros no matter what/how you're eating.

Counting macros means deciding on how you want to split your calories by macros. That's it. So if you normally eat 80g carbs (320 cal), 100g protein (400 cal), 60g fat (540 cal) = 1260 cals. But instead of trying to hit 1260 however it falls, you try to hit those macros specifically.

So eat however you want. Vegan, paleo, "clean", vegetarian, or whatever makes you happy (want pizza, make it fit). Count macros or count calories, just stick to a target, eating how you want to.

I am going to set my macros to fit this and try it for a week. Or calculate as needed. Thanks
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Has no one ever strayed from an eating plan? Why are so many people asking why she stopped? I've had a hard time doing weight watchers perfectly and continuously but when I did stick to it it worked for me.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!

I am going to set my macros to fit this and try it for a week. Or calculate as needed. Thanks

I made those macros up, so set your macros to fit your paleo or however you like to eat. If you need guidance, iifym would give you macros to start (but those might or might not be easy with paleo -- if you want to continue paleo). Personally, I'd log how you normally eat with the calorie target you want and see what the macros tend to look like. If you like how you've been eating, then use those macros as a starting point, and make changes as needed (like more protein/fat if you're hungry).
  • sara1984
    Options
    The only thing they tracked was their next meal ha
  • sara1984
    Options
    Paleo AND Crossfit...

Good luck!

I made those macros up, so set your macros to fit your paleo or however you like to eat. If you need guidance, iifym would give you macros to start (but those might or might not be easy with paleo -- if you want to continue paleo). Personally, I'd log how you normally eat with the calorie target you want and see what the macros tend to look like. If you like how you've been eating, then use those macros as a starting point, and make changes as needed (like more protein/fat if you're hungry).

Female 31yo 5'1 at 210 lbs set at aggressive 4 meals a day this was my result. Shocked at the high cals but we aren't counting those!

GRAMS per day Carbs 258.4/ Protein 102.5/ Fat 44.8 / Fiber 42 - 53 /Calories 1847

Thank you very much.