Weighing myself everyday....

Options
2»

Replies

• springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at the same time, and log it on my online calendar. I have found that it has helped me understand how my body works. I have consistently lost weight and have avoided plateaus so far.
  • ep_euphoria
    ep_euphoria Posts: 40
    Options
    I weigh-in every morning. I seem to be the opposite of everyone else, I think it's the best motivator ever!

If I don't weigh every day then I tend to get a bit slack. Knowing that I'm accountable for everything that goes in my mouth is the only way I stay on track. Yes, that's bad, I have shocking self control - if I know I have a week to 'make-up' the mistake then I go loco.

But I think about the whole thing a little differently, my brain has this amazingly positive attitude for when it looks at the numbers on the scale - if it goes down at all, I'm ecstatic and it leaves me on a high the rest of the day and really wanting to eat well and do my workout; if the scale goes up, it pretty much gets ignored :) my brain says: "oh, your weight fluctuates randomly, don't worry about it" or "you had too much sodium yesterday, you're just retaining water" or "yup, that's that tiny bite of muffin you had that can't possible cause you to weigh this much more, but I'm going to blame it anyway so you can move on with your day and not make that choice today" - my brain is very manipulative :)

I don't weigh after I've had a 'big' day - like drinking or going out to dinner, but every other morning you'll see me on the scale, and I love it.
    The 'scale addiction' can be unhealthy for some people, but if you come at it with a positive mind-set and confidence in your ability to lose weight and make good choices, then it can be a fantastic tool.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is an individual decision. Practically speaking, you should weight yourself everyday for one week only, see what your "low" day is, then pick that to be the day you weigh in on every week. You always weigh less in the morning, and it should always be at the same time of day, so why not morning then? I know all this but then I go and weigh myself almost everyday...but for me, when I see a gain, it kicks me into gear and prevents me from getting off-track. I do avoid the scale though when I'm positive it's going to be bad news! LOL! Anyway, figure out what works best for you...Weighing often is OK as long as it doesn't mess with your head! Good luck!
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have a scale in the bathroom and a scale downstairs near the kitchen. I weigh myself first thing in the morning because I usually lose water weight at night. I weigh myself after every workout...once again to determine water loss or actual fat loss. I weigh myself before I go to bed to see how much weight is burned while I sleep. I weigh myself before I take a shower or after...just need to be in my birthday suit. I weigh myself a lot...I need to know which foods cause me to retain weight , water, muscle and fat. My scale in the bathroom has a body fat calculator. It's not very accurate, but consistent.

By weighing myself as much as I do I know what causes me to lose or gain weight instantly. I can drop 3 pounds of water by walking uphill at 4mph for 60 minutes.

I think you should weigh yourself multiple times a day.:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    I like weighing myself everyday- I think it's more personal preference than anything else. But I have to keep in mind that if I gain four pounds overnight I can't get discouraged. It helps me figure out what's going on with my body- if I'm eating too much salt, what part of my cycle I'm most likely to gain in, things like that.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm so bad! I step on the scale several times a day. At first it would be kinda hard to see the numbers bounce up and down thur out the day, but now it doesn't bug me and I've gotten use to the fact that my weight bounces around, so I don't worry if it goes up one or two pounds. However, I only log my weight once a week or once every two weeks, and I usually go w the middle number.
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    When I was journaling my food and calories, in a notebook, I included my morning weight every day, but didn't stress if I skipped days, along with my food and blood sugars. It was helpful to see everything, and even the fluctuations were helpful, because I got to see how different foods and even time of the month affected me.

Recently, in the past few weeks, the scale wasn't budging at all, and I became a bit scale obsessed, and pretty down in the dumps about my weight being stuck, so I took a hiatus from the scale. Now that things are moving a bit, and I'm in a better headspace, I'm back to weighing pretty much daily, but I'll probably just record on MFP once a week, and not record my daily number.

But do what you feel is right, regardless of studies for or against, or anyone's opinion. This is your journey, and only you know how you feel throughout it. If weighing daily is helpful for you, great, if not, stick to a schedule that's more useful for you.
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I weight everyday, maybe it's because of the curious side of me but I don't find it affects me negatively even if the scales go up due to water retention because it tells me that I have to maybe drink a bit of extra water that day or lower my sodium a bit to get rid of excess water. Because there's no way I would have put on a kg of pure fat overnight.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Funny how things go in trends on this board. I just answered the same question yesterday. Yes it is a personal decision, so be honest with how that daily weigh in makes you feel. I am the odd one. I weigh myself once a month at the doctors. I have a scale at home, but I never use it.

This is a lifestyle change for me. I want to set up eating patterns to carry me through the rest of my life. When I log my diary I try to be as honest as possible. I review it, not only just for calories, but also where my sodium, fat and sugar levels are. I want to get to the point where I can make good food choices throughout the day. Weighing myself daily or even weekly makes it all about the scale. That's not my goal. My goal is overall health. That means eating well and exercising right and being able to function in social situations. If I am doing those things then the scale shows that.

Like many have posted, it's a personal decision. This just happens to e what works for me.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every morning, but I found that the morning after a workout I always put on about a pound - I found that so dicouraging that it was sabotaging me! Now I weigh only on Friday mornings after my rest day. I was getting way too obsessed with the numbers!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but I'm not obsessed with the scale. If it goes up for a day or two it doesn't ruin me or make me dive headfirst into a cheesecake. If you can use it as a tool then it's probably fine. If it's going to throw you to see those numbers fluctuate then you should stay off of it. It's all on what works best for you.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I generally weight once a week. But lately even though I feel I have lost some from my tummy, my weight would have increased! So these I just avoid weighting myself, as long as I am being within my food limit.
  • sarahkorry
    sarahkorry Posts: 31
    Options
    Definitely only once a week! If you do it once a day you're more likely to be easy on yourself!

If you've lost a pound or two in the morning (which we alll know is most probably water weight or empty stomach etc) you may allow yourself that biscuit in the afternoon or that packet of crisps at night .

Then when you weigh youself again in the morning and you've stayed the same or are the same weight as before the 'day loss' you feel like giving up!

x
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at the same time, and log it on my online calendar. I have found that it has helped me understand how my body works. I have consistently lost weight and have avoided plateaus so far.

I am the same. It has helped to understand that a 1-3 pound weight gain is related to my body's rythmns (and monthly cycle) and not to fret about it. If I am stuck at a weight for a few days, I have also seen that my weight takes a big drop a few days later. Not sure how, but I have been able to not freak out at the monthly water gains. Weighing everyday, seeing the fluctuations, and the overall weight loss, helps me to stay on track and motivated. I officially record my weight once a month. Seeing that progress is really motivational.
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, I used to do it 2/3 tims a day and got realy addicted but found that I was realy geting down about it so my hubby took the scales away and I only do it the once a week now.

I find that my motivation is up more becasue of this as I see big changes and not lil ones
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and record the result in the iPhone app TargetWeight.... the app is quite helpful, as it maintains various stats.

I don't see a problem with weighing yourself every day - it' s more to do with how you handle the result.....

If I've gained, I have a think about what could be the likely cause - over on calories, too much sodium, fluid retention from lifiting weights....

If I'm down quite a bit (1 lb+) from the previous day, I also question the cause....

So, it's all down to what you do with the information.....