Revamped my idea of a good routine! Crique me please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    About the only thing that I can think of that would be worse than running on a treadmill at the gym would be walking on a treadmill at the gym. Good luck with that.

C25K won't do anything to help you shed pounds. Not a damn thing. Any calories that you burn (and it won't be many) you will earn back on your couch that night or during your "reward snack". Do you know anyone training for their first marathon? Look at their belly.

Happy Hunting!

Where exactly did he say he was going to eat a reward snack on the couch?

Those were my words not his. Do you think people lose weight training for an athletic event? The goals are in conflict.

Dropping down weight classes in sports?

Wrestling, MMA, Powerlifting, Weightlifting....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I think a beginner lifting program + calorie deficit + some cardio is the way to go. If you start lifting now you can get some newbie gains, preserve the existing muscle you have, and also start to lose body fat, and get stronger.

so I would say pick from strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting and go with it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The general consensuses is that maybe I should lose weight before I build muscle

Awful idea frankly.
    The main benefit of strength/weight training in a deficit is to preserve your existing muscle mass. Far easier to maintain what you have than risk losing it and have to rebuild.

As a young male you are well placed to at least maintain your muscle mass - if your training is good, deficit is low (slow rate of weight loss), adequate protein and you haven't many training years under your belt there's a reasonable chance of adding muscle.

Assuming you are new to weights I would recommend 3 x week, full body, focussed on the main compound lifts. (Plenty of well known programs about.)

Cardio to taste and to progress towards your fitness goals NOT to create an excessive deficit. Fuel your exercise.

This kinda goes against good advice given in my past thread. I was told Ill only get noobie gains but they will hault after a little while. Biggest goal is to get ride of a gut at the moment. I don't know what to do :/ Rather conflicting to me really :/

lifting + cardio will get rid of your gut...

I think you are over thinking it..

pick a program
    stay in a deficit
    mix in some cardio
    do this for four months and then re-assess...

if you just do cardio now and burn through your existing mass you are just going to be further behind the 8 ball when you want to start lifting. Why not get a good lifting foundation now, rather than four months from now...??
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    On top of that, Ive never heard of any credible source that says a threadmill wont help you lose weight. Its not about the calories burned as much its about your heart rate being in the optimal range for weight burn. You can do anything for half hour or an hour a day with your heart at above 120 (as opposed to 70 resting) and you will burn fat. Give me peer reviewed and credible resources to back your claim and Ill take you seriously @kozykondition1

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831

Excerpts for you:

The exercise groups were as follows: 1) resistance training (RT), (3 days/wk, 3 sets/day, 8–12 repetitions/set); 2) aerobic training (AT), (calorically equivalent to ∼12 miles/wk at 65–80% peak VO2); 3) aerobic training plus resistance training (AT/RT), (calorically equivalent to ∼12 miles/wk at 65–80% peak VO2 plus 3 days/wk, 3 sets/day, 8–12 repetitions/set).

These were the specific findings, by the numbers (from the graph):
    •The aerobics only group (deemed “most successful”), lost a mere 3.8 pounds of body weight and 3.6 pounds of fat in 8 months.
    •The resistance training group gained 2.3 pounds of lean body mass and lost only .57 pounds of fat mass.
    •The aerobic plus resistance group lost 5.36 pounds of fat mass and gained 1.78 pounds of lean body mass. That looks like the winner to me for overall body composition improvement, but even that is nothing to get excited about.

3.8 pounds of body weight in 8 months.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I think a beginner lifting program + calorie deficit + some cardio is the way to go. If you start lifting now you can get some newbie gains, preserve the existing muscle you have, and also start to lose body fat, and get stronger.

so I would say pick from strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting and go with it...

I most definitely am over thinking all of this haha. You have some great words here as well as sijomial who sent me a great email after I apologized for insulting his help lol. Im gonna do some searching for programs tonight and tailor it to the recommendations you made. Thanks for all the help guys.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    On top of that, Ive never heard of any credible source that says a threadmill wont help you lose weight. Its not about the calories burned as much its about your heart rate being in the optimal range for weight burn. You can do anything for half hour or an hour a day with your heart at above 120 (as opposed to 70 resting) and you will burn fat. Give me peer reviewed and credible resources to back your claim and Ill take you seriously @kozykondition1

Excerpts for you:

The exercise groups were as follows: 1) resistance training (RT), (3 days/wk, 3 sets/day, 8–12 repetitions/set); 2) aerobic training (AT), (calorically equivalent to ∼12 miles/wk at 65–80% peak VO2); 3) aerobic training plus resistance training (AT/RT), (calorically equivalent to ∼12 miles/wk at 65–80% peak VO2 plus 3 days/wk, 3 sets/day, 8–12 repetitions/set).

•The aerobics only group (deemed “most successful”), lost a mere 3.8 pounds of body weight and 3.6 pounds of fat in 8 months.
    •The resistance training group gained 2.3 pounds of lean body mass and lost only .57 pounds of fat mass.
    •The aerobic plus resistance group lost 5.36 pounds of fat mass and gained 1.78 pounds of lean body mass. That looks like the winner to me for overall body composition improvement, but even that is nothing to get excited about.

Grant, I've only skimmed through the linked study but I didn't find anything about purposefully eating at a reduced calorie level. There is mention of track calories but nothing to indicate that any of the participants knew their maintenance calories (or an approximation) and then ate less than that on purpose. You seem to be overlooking that for the OP as well.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Excerpts for you:

Grant, I've only skimmed through the linked study but I didn't find anything about purposefully eating at a reduced calorie level. There is mention of track calories but nothing to indicate that any of the participants knew their maintenance calories (or an approximation) and then ate less than that on purpose. You seem to be overlooking that for the OP as well.

Just to stem from this too, you seem to have no productive recommendation on what "to get excited about" or the best way to lose said weight. Everything is going to have different rates of weight lose, but slow lose is permanent lose.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I most definitely am over thinking all of this haha. You have some great words here as well as sijomial who sent me a great email after I apologized for insulting his help lol. Im gonna do some searching for programs tonight and tailor it to the recommendations you made. Thanks for all the help guys.

It was mentioned in the other thread that if you were to do SL on the same days as your GF, it might cause an issue with 4(I think?) people trying to rotate in/out of the squat rack. Any way you could do some light cardio on those days, and do your strength training on her "off" days?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Did you have any problems progressing with the programs on a deficit?

I didn't have any problems. The upper body was harder to increase on but as I've noticed in both groups on MFP, that is pretty common, especially overhead press. I'm only at around 60-65 on that lift, or less if doing a higher rep range, and on bench my max has been 100 for 3 reps. I've managed to lose over 50 lbs since the beginning of September due to deficit and having lifted weights since end of October. I have had some nice increases in the weights over that time. NROLFW has been a bit slower on the increases in part due to how the different stages are set up and the type of lifts, but I still am seeing improvements. The ones that are tough to increase have variables like only being able to increase in increments of 10 (cables for lat pull down), which can be difficult. I'm going to get through the whole program on a deficit and on the side am working on increasing deadlift as I want to lift 225 (have managed up to 200 so far).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The general consensuses is that maybe I should lose weight before I build muscle

Awful idea frankly.
    The main benefit of strength/weight training in a deficit is to preserve your existing muscle mass. Far easier to maintain what you have than risk losing it and have to rebuild.

As a young male you are well placed to at least maintain your muscle mass - if your training is good, deficit is low (slow rate of weight loss), adequate protein and you haven't many training years under your belt there's a reasonable chance of adding muscle.

Assuming you are new to weights I would recommend 3 x week, full body, focussed on the main compound lifts. (Plenty of well known programs about.)

Cardio to taste and to progress towards your fitness goals NOT to create an excessive deficit. Fuel your exercise.

This kinda goes against good advice given in my past thread. I was told Ill only get noobie gains but they will hault after a little while. Biggest goal is to get ride of a gut at the moment. I don't know what to do :/ Rather conflicting to me really :/

lifting + cardio will get rid of your gut...

I think you are over thinking it..

pick a program
    stay in a deficit
    mix in some cardio
    do this for four months and then re-assess...

if you just do cardio now and burn through your existing mass you are just going to be further behind the 8 ball when you want to start lifting. Why not get a good lifting foundation now, rather than four months from now...??

I tend to always like what he says...

Also, alot of people wish they had started lifting (I am one of them) when they started loosing weight... 99.9% of folks that are now at their fitness peak (weight loss and weight lifting programs) will tell you to start lifting now...

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

It was mentioned in the other thread that if you were to do SL on the same days as your GF, it might cause an issue with 4(I think?) people trying to rotate in/out of the squat rack. Any way you could do some light cardio on those days, and do your strength training on her "off" days?

Hopefully the rotating of 4 people won't be an issue for long. According to our gym their "working on getting a second rack".
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with all the muscle builders here. the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR, and the more calories you'll burn just being alive. and it really doesn't require weights, per se. there are "bodyweight" routines that will build muscle too! (perhaps not as quickly) Be thankful for that testosterone ;)
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Just to stem from this too, you seem to have no productive recommendation on what "to get excited about" or the best way to lose said weight. Everything is going to have different rates of weight lose, but slow lose is permanent lose.

You didn't ask for a recommendation, you asked for a "Crique" (sic).
    What do you guys think? Any ideas for what is moderate intensity to do while I am waiting? Is this a bad idea too? lol

I gave you a critique. I also gave you (productive) alternatives.

C25K gets you ready to run nonstop for 30 minutes. That is an excellent fitness goal.
    ...I just want some advice at what challenges I might face. No one likes surprises

I mentioned how boring walking on a treadmill is, and how little it does to reduce your weight. Those will be your biggest challenges.
    Give me peer reviewed and credible resources to back your claim and Ill take you seriously @kozykondition1

Yeah, I did that too. But don't worry, I won't hold you on your word to take me seriously.

And in all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Cheers!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    millej49 wrote: »
    I'd definitely say that losing weight before building muscle is a good idea, because to build you have to have a calorie surplus. And since you can't tell your body to ONLY make muscle with the surplus you'll end up having more fat to cut in the long run.

Completely untrue. You can convert fat to muscle and also lose weight while building muscle. I did it without even trying. I weighed 123lbs with a 27" waist and quite visible butt fat when I started lifting for fun the first time. I lifted to "bulk" or at least to increase weight. I went up to being able to squat 250lbs very comfortably and bench 90, among other things. And I weighed...123lbs at the end, but my butt had lost all visible fat, I had a sixpack that was slightly visible in daylight, I had a smaller waist, and I gained .5" on each of my arms, 1" on my calves, and lost 1" on my thighs. This was in 4 months.

I was on the whatever-the-heck-I-want-to-eat diet and wasn't particularly paying any attention to anything other than wanting to lift heavier stuff for fun.

For heaven's sake, do what's easier on your body. Lift + deficit will make you build muscle and lose weight.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio for a faster loss at the same calorie intake. Don't want to? You can lose just as much. Just adjust your diet deficit for your activity level. It's not rocket science. In the study above, everyone was eating the same number of calories regardless of their activity level...which is a little silly. IRL, huge numbers of people just eat back all their cardio.
  • millej49
    millej49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    millej49 wrote: »
    I'd definitely say that losing weight before building muscle is a good idea, because to build you have to have a calorie surplus. And since you can't tell your body to ONLY make muscle with the surplus you'll end up having more fat to cut in the long run.

Completely untrue. You can convert fat to muscle and also lose weight while building muscle. I did it without even trying. I weighed 123lbs with a 27" waist and quite visible butt fat when I started lifting for fun the first time. I lifted to "bulk" or at least to increase weight. I went up to being able to squat 250lbs very comfortably and bench 90, among other things. And I weighed...123lbs at the end, but my butt had lost all visible fat, I had a sixpack that was slightly visible in daylight, I had a smaller waist, and I gained .5" on each of my arms, 1" on my calves, and lost 1" on my thighs. This was in 4 months.

I was on the whatever-the-heck-I-want-to-eat diet and wasn't particularly paying any attention to anything other than wanting to lift heavier stuff for fun.

For heaven's sake, do what's easier on your body. Lift + deficit will make you build muscle and lose weight.

First off you cannot "convert fat to muscle". I don't know if this was just hyperbole, or of you actually think that fat was turning into muscle. Second, while your personal experience is good for you, comparing a four pound loss while increasing muscle is vastly different than what the OP is talking about.

For instance, how much could you squat originally, what was your BF% to start, and at the end? And unless you naturally eat healthy, I doubt that you were on the "whatever-the-heck-I-want-to-eat diet". Also, if you had an iota of reading comprehension capability you'd notice I never told him to not lift while he was losing weight. In fact, I told him that lifting would be a good idea, but that low intensity ling duration cardio would be one of the best ways to cut fat.

Last, I don't know if it was your intent, but your comment came off as highly confrontational, and I'd like to note that there's a difference between debate, and confrontation. My previous paragraph was confrontational, if you'd like to talk rationally and civilly I would be glad to do so, because as I always say, I'm not an expert.