Grains and Carbs

Options
Hi all,
I had been struggling with no weight loss for months, despite hitting it hard at the gym and tracking on MFP..until I cut out bread and most grain-based foods. I don't feel hungry ever, even though I usually eat a lower calorie intake than before and I am losing weight despite eating a higher percentage of fat. Most of my carbs now come from vegetables and berries. I feel less bloaty too...anyone else out there with similar stories? Oh, and I have lost 5# since starting this 3 weeks ago.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    spirit7125 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had been struggling with no weight loss for months, despite hitting it hard at the gym and tracking on MFP..until I cut out bread and most grain-based foods. I don't feel hungry ever, even though I usually eat a lower calorie intake than before and I am losing weight despite eating a higher percentage of fat. Most of my carbs now come from vegetables and berries. I feel less bloaty too...anyone else out there with similar stories? Oh, and I have lost 5# since starting this 3 weeks ago.

Congratulations you are eating at a calorie deficit and losing weight
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    .... You're creating a deficit. You even say yourself you're eating lower calories! It has nothing to do with the grains themselves.

Fat doesn't make you fat, so as long as you're eating at a deficit (which you are) you can eat a high percentage of fat without gaining...
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How accurately have you been tracking your food? It's easy to slip in a handful of grapes or nuts and not log it. And have you been weighing your food on a scale? I'm willing to bet that you weren't as accurate as you thought and now are actually eating under your maintenance calories. It really had nothing to do with going low carb. Yeah you feel less bloated because carbs make you retain water to break them down. CI<CO and you will lose weight no matter what foods you eat.
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat a low cab, high fat diet. Eating fewer carbs won't make you lose weight, eating at a calorie deficit will. BUT! Eating fewer carbs and more fat/protein/veggies etc. will make you feel fuller for longer, and these foods (even fat) tend to be lower-calorie per oz. than the carbs you're going to eat, which makes it easier to maintain a calorie deficit.

I personally don't really feel super hunger when I'm restricting my carbs, since the items I would normally crave are all high-carb.
  • spirit7125
    spirit7125 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Living lean, I understand that fat doesn't make you fat, but at 9 calories per gram compared to 4 for carbs and protein, it can add up quickly if you're not tracking it, which I am tracking...everything, but I know it can be easy to miss items, thank you ruggedshutter :-). I do not weigh my foods, but do use measuring cups/spoons and go by the standard "deck of cards=4oz" guideline for proteins. You are on the money about the bloating as well, so thank you.

My request was more referring to the fact that I am not hungry, compared to how I felt before, when I was eating a higher percentage of carbs and felt ravenous at mealtimes. I am thinking that the increase in fat, which slows digestion and therefore increases satiety for longer periods of time, may have a lot to do with it. That, coupled with the reduction in carbs probably helping to balance out my insulin/blood sugar levels. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. There is some research to show that it's not just a numbers game of calories in and out http://www.webmd.com/diet/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

Thank you!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just go to groups and find the low carb group if you want like-minded people.

This is not a new discussion. If you're looking for people with similar experiences, you'll find them there.

If you're looking for people who don't share you're experience, this is where you'll find them.

Most healthy people don't have insulin resistance issues.
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Living lean, I understand that fat doesn't make you fat, but at 9 calories per gram compared to 4 for carbs and protein, it can add up quickly if you're not tracking it, which I am tracking...everything, but I know it can be easy to miss items, thank you ruggedshutter :-). I do not weigh my foods, but do use measuring cups/spoons and go by the standard "deck of cards=4oz" guideline for proteins. You are on the money about the bloating as well, so thank you.

My request was more referring to the fact that I am not hungry, compared to how I felt before, when I was eating a higher percentage of carbs and felt ravenous at mealtimes. I am thinking that the increase in fat, which slows digestion and therefore increases satiety for longer periods of time, may have a lot to do with it. That, coupled with the reduction in carbs probably helping to balance out my insulin/blood sugar levels. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. There is some research to show that it's not just a numbers game of calories in and out http://www.webmd.com/diet/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

Thank you!

Webmd is as credible as an infomercial telling you special wraps will cause you to lose weight without diet or exercise. Weight loss is all about fuel intake and energy expenditure, nothing more, nothing less.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Before this becomes a fight on carbs, here's a link to the group. OP, if you really are looking for like-minded folks, this is where you'll find them:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Many obese and overweight people have varying degrees of insulin resistance.

9vzb3nojrgei.png

ir.PNG 63.6K
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP, if you want to discuss that article you posted, the study it was based on? Find a better source. Its main author, Doctor David Ludwig, designs terrible studies that are almost guaranteed to give him the results the wants. He has certain pet theories and all of his research confirms them. Funny thing, there's tons of research out there which conflicts with his findings when studies are designed differently.

The problem is that he's a media hog and the other study authors are actually real scientists interested in actual research.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My request was more referring to the fact that I am not hungry, compared to how I felt before, when I was eating a higher percentage of carbs and felt ravenous at mealtimes. I am thinking that the increase in fat, which slows digestion and therefore increases satiety for longer periods of time, may have a lot to do with it. That, coupled with the reduction in carbs probably helping to balance out my insulin/blood sugar levels. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Me too - seldom hungry these days on restricted carbs and whole foods. <200 cals for breakfast and I'll be getting a bit hungry by noon but normally not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    [snip]

Thank you!

Yes, I'm having the same experience.

But MamaPeach was right that this will likely turn into a food fight here on this discussion board. Have you seen the Sugar thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10182706/sugars/p1
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    OP, try weighing your foods and condiments as well. I have found it has helped me get closer to my goal or get over a plateau. Open up your diary too. I find having an open diary you can get suggestions that may help. I also have lower my carbs from 50 to 40 percent and have seen a nice loss, but my body adjusted eventually. So I adjusted my calories. Lots of luck.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

9vzb3nojrgei.png

That image could equally imply that by simply reducing BMI one can reasonably assume insulin resistance issues will resolve themselves. Has absolutely no data to support dietary choices of any kind. And no reference to grain/carb/sugar intake and its correlation to insulin issues. Not sure what you were trying to achieve by posting that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people find creating a calorie deficit easier when eliminating or limiting grains, especially breads.

I don't eat much bread because I can't find a bread or bread recipe that is high in fiber that I like. I do eat other grain products if they are high fiber though. Mostly wraps and pasta. And on the weekends I still often have pancakes. They are moderate fiber, but they are delicious enough that I let them slide.

I don't even track carbs anymore. I just track fiber. If my fiber is high, I don't care how many total carbs I've had.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Here is my experience with weight loss both low carb and not low carb

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180583/to-carb-or-not-to-carb-for-weightloss/p1

I do find that I have much less digestive discomfort when eating lower carb. I suspect that to be from ibs issues and could be from the smaller volumes of food filling me up faster.

I agree with mamapeach, check in with the low carb group, you will find more like minded individuals to share your stories with (though you're free to post in any forum you choose) but most of us low carbers spend most if not all our time in the group forums, not the main forums
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Yup! I've been eating keto-style for nearly two years now and I rarely feel hungry and the only time I seem to bloat up is around my Special Lady Time. I got better results eating this way than I did eating a SAD. A deficit is still important, but low carb can definitely be good for some people.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    congrats - you replaced calorie dense food with less calorie dense food and created a calorie deficit.

You could of done the same thing by just reducing overall intake...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

9vzb3nojrgei.png

Fair enough, on the other hand, you don't have to low carb to handle IR, either.

• spirit7125
    spirit7125 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who responded with support instead of sarcasm. I agree that Web MD isn't the best resource...it was just a reference to the original work. I will start looking at original research on the topic and post anything good I find. Thank you again!