3 day Military Diet

Options
So this is my 4th day on this diet. I have lost 10 pounds. I started at 168 and I am at 158. I really don't feel it yet or see it, but that's what the scale says.

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    What happens when you decide to stop this diet? Will you be able to keep the lost weight off? That's the problem with these short-term diets, they end at some point and offer no strategy for keeping the weight off. It's better to go long-term with a calories in-calories out mentality, find your body's caloric needs, and weigh/log all of your food for accuracy. There's much more long-term success in that than any "diet."
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It's a VLCD, and your weight loss has been due to water weight, not fat loss. This is not a healthy or sustainable approach to weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So this is my 4th day on this diet. I have lost 10 pounds. I started at 168 and I am at 158. I really don't feel it yet or see it, but that's what the scale says.

problem is that 10lbs is water weight mainly due to the VLCD aspect of the military diet

The Military diet is a really really bad programme with made up foods

Please use the search function and check the myriad threads on this nonsense
  • johannalovely
    johannalovely Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really, the good thing is it has helped me start. I just couldn't get motivated and now I'm feeling good. Can you recommend a got plan to follow.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Really, the good thing is it has helped me start. I just couldn't get motivated and now I'm feeling good. Can you recommend a got plan to follow.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The ten pounds you lost was mostly water weight, so don't get discouraged if much of it comes back when you begin eating at a more reasonable calorie deficit.

Good luck on the rest of your journey, and hopefully there are no more fad diets in your future!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The best plan is count your calories and work out. That is how you loose weight. keep your calorie intake where it should be and work out to create your deficit. Get proteins in to help your muscles get the nutrients it needs and eat lots of fruits and veggies because they have lots of vits and lower in cals so you can eat more and stay full. Drink water when you are feeling hungry. Most people confuse hunger with thirst. Sounds odd and I bet you think you don't do that, but no one "thinks" they are doing that or else they would just drink water lol

there is no miracle pill or diet. It is all motivation to eat right and work out that will help you drop the fat ( which is WAY different than just dropping numbers on the scale) and keep you on this plan.

It's why you always hear about a lifestyle change. In the end, that is what it boils down to.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Lifestyle change, not diet. Calories in vs. calories out. It's not linear but it is simple math.
  • johannalovely
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The ten pounds you lost was mostly water weight, so don't get discouraged if much of it comes back when you begin eating at a more reasonable calorie deficit.

Good luck on the rest of your journey, and hopefully there are no more fad diets in your future!

Thank you for your encouragement. The good thing about the being on the military diet it helped me jump start me eating less. I was truly out of control.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

A reasonable calorie deficit and not eating 800 calories per day. Quick weight loss has you motivated, but it's going to come back once you come off this diet, because you've lost water weight. It wasn't actually fat loss. Sustainable long term changes will keep you motivated, and that starts with moving more, and eating at a deficit. Women should not be netting less than 1,200 calories per day, and that's the bare minimum. I was eating 1,600 when I started, and lost weight steadily.
  • johannalovely
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    The best plan is count your calories and work out. That is how you loose weight. keep your calorie intake where it should be and work out to create your deficit. Get proteins in to help your muscles get the nutrients it needs and eat lots of fruits and veggies because they have lots of vits and lower in cals so you can eat more and stay full. Drink water when you are feeling hungry. Most people confuse hunger with thirst. Sounds odd and I bet you think you don't do that, but no one "thinks" they are doing that or else they would just drink water lol

there is no miracle pill or diet. It is all motivation to eat right and work out that will help you drop the fat ( which is WAY different than just dropping numbers on the scale) and keep you on this plan.

It's why you always hear about a lifestyle change. In the end, that is what it boils down to.
    Thank you, it all makes sense. I am going to start walking and eating right. I am so happy I found this app.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement. The good thing about the being on the military diet it helped me jump start me eating less. I was truly out of control.

That's great that you're motivated but like everyone has said, you will most likely gain this weight back when you start your new eating plan. Then you'll start losing again at a much slower, healthier rate.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It's a VLCD, and your weight loss has been due to water weight, not fat loss. This is not a healthy or sustainable approach to weight loss.

^^ All this.
  • Zmanning89
    Zmanning89 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First off, congrats :smiley: You have lost weight, and water weight is normally the first 10lb anyone loses since most people carry to much water on them in the first place, (cells are made up of around 70% water even fat cells) The rest that comes off is Fat, but 800 calories is so low and your body over time will start to metabolize your muscle tissue to preserve energy (which slows down fat loss)

Its a Low carb diet, which is fine, but 800 calories is to low, should be around 1600 - 2100. Aim for 50% fat, 30% Protien, and 20% Carbs (From Fruits and Veggies) focus on Fresh whole foods (not processed boxed junk) and eat mostly veggies , high quality protein like grass fed meat, chicken, Fish like Salmon , and make sure to get plenty of healthy fats from Avocado, Grass Fed butter, coconut oil , Nuts , but avoid Seed oils (Like Canola, sunflower, Soybean oil) these are Processed highly inflammatory fats, also would limit starchy carbs like Bread and Pasta as these are also inflammatory (Not for all of course, some people do find with these grains, but most are better of without them) Dietdoctor , bulletproof diet, Marks daily apple, all have similar but I would argue more healthy ways of eating lower carb, higher Fat, etc. (Also there are many ways of healthy eating, I pointed out this style since your coming from a Lower carb style diet, many lose weight doing 80% carb, and I do great doing 70% fat, so its all about what works for you.)

Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away. While Fat would not be burning. Its about CICO but at the same time depending on what state and balance your hormones are in, depends on what your body does with those calories (build new cells, or burn / break down cells)

Even if your eating a slight calories surplus and you eating the correct foods, and working out, your body will most of the time increase muscle density and bone density, while at the same time burning fat etc

- Cheers

• missiontofitness
    Options
    Zmanning89 wrote: »
    Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away. While Fat would not be burning.

Any professional case studies to support this claim?
  • Zmanning89
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away. While Fat would not be burning.

Which Claim exactly ? I'm not really making a "Claim" just explaining that the goal is not to lose "weight" but rather "body fat" , as "Weight" can mean anything, like Muscle , Bone Density etc, heck I can lose weight by cutting of my leg, but most people when they say they want to lose weight they are asserting they want to lose body fat, while adding lean toned muscle.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Why does cico always boil down to eating twinkies all day. No one advocates this.
  • Zmanning89
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Why does cico always boil down to eating twinkies all day. No one advocates this.

Nor did I advocate this either lol :smile: read what I said, I'm saying that losing "weight" is not always a good thing, it depends on what your body is losing (IE Body Fat, or Muscle Tissue, Bone Density etc)

I said for Example if I ate Twinkes all day , I could lose "weight" if I was in a calorie deficit, but most of the weight lost would be Water, and Muscle, and than some fat, I'm not advocating this, I'm saying to not look at it only as in CICO and "Weight" going down, but rather what type of weight is going down

- Cheers
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away.
    The whaaaaaa?! :unamused:

• missiontofitness
    edited June 2015
    Options

Which Claim exactly ? I'm not really making a "Claim" just explaining that the goal is not to lose "weight" but rather "body fat" , as "Weight" can mean anything, like Muscle , Bone Density etc, heck I can lose weight by cutting of my leg, but most people when they say they want to lose weight they are asserting they want to lose body fat, while adding lean toned muscle.

What I want to know is how these foods know how to cut fat over muscle.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Because Twinkies do the body goooooooood