Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Zmanning89 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away. While Fat would not be burning.

Any professional case studies to support this claim?

Which Claim exactly ? I'm not really making a "Claim" just explaining that the goal is not to lose "weight" but rather "body fat" , as "Weight" can mean anything, like Muscle , Bone Density etc, heck I can lose weight by cutting of my leg, but most people when they say they want to lose weight they are asserting they want to lose body fat, while adding lean toned muscle.

What I want to know is how these foods know how to cut fat over muscle.

Do you need to eat protein to maintain muscle? That seems to be the concept here on MFP. Or is that bro-science? Even the Guide or Sexypants says to eat 0.8g/LBM (don't quote me here I didn't actually read it again) protein daily.
    By that logic, a Twinkly only diet (and yep, I realize no one actually means eat only Twinklies) which may not have much protein could result in muscle loss.... so if a food doesn't know how to cut fat over muscle, how does a different food know how to retain muscle over fat?

(I realize I said "Twinkly" and "Twinklies" but I decided it was too cute a mistake to fix).

Protein is an essential macro, and yes, that gram to LBM ratio is recommended. What I was challenging was the original post saying that junk food consumption will lead to bone/muscle loss, rather than fat loss, which is not the case. Calories are calories. I can have a cheeseburger from McDonald's (regularly classified as "junk food") and stay within my fat and calories for the day, while getting 15g boost of protein from that sandwich.

Also, I agree that mistake is cute, and I agree with your decision not to fix it.

Edit: I will also add that maintenance and/or calorie surpluses are needed for gains. One won't build muscle in a deficit, so one goal should be to minimize LBM loss during weight loss. Making sure one is eating enough and getting a reasonable amount of protein in per day for their activity level is important. But bodies can't distinguish "junk" protein/calories from "healthy" protein/calories.

Also " One won't build muscle in a deficit" is false, you can build lean muscle while burning Fat, in a calorie defect. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, and most day I'm in a Deficit, but yet my muscles keep getting bigger ;) but you need resistance training and also adequate protein and fat (support normal hormone levels)

I like your passion, but calories are not equal, for example a Big Mac, and a grass fed steak and salad, lets say they had the same Protein , Fat, and Carbs (as example) the Calories you get the Grass Fed steak and salad are much better for the body than processed crap, like a big mac, even though you could still lose weight and body fat % it would not be as healthy of an option.

A calorie is a unit of measurement . 1 calorie = 1 calorie just as 1 inch= 1 inch. The nutritional panels are different and someone may choose a different food based on the macro break down.....

Your correct, but That not what I ment,, a Calorie as a "measurement" is the same, but not all Calories are equal in terms of quality, for example 1 gram of processed pepperoni, has a different amino acid profile , than a natural chicken breast or a Grass Fed steak, they all have different Amino acids that build up these proteins, not all proteins are of the same quality is what I'm saying.

But again.. 100 calories of pepperoni is equal to 100 calories of chicken breast. It's the difference in macro/ micro breakdown
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Remember over time its about CICO Calories in , Calories Out, but remember not all "weight" is equal ... for example I could eat twinkes and Junk and still lose "Weight" but that "weight" would most of the time be my muscle and bones wasting away. While Fat would not be burning.

Which Claim exactly ? I'm not really making a "Claim" just explaining that the goal is not to lose "weight" but rather "body fat" , as "Weight" can mean anything, like Muscle , Bone Density etc, heck I can lose weight by cutting of my leg, but most people when they say they want to lose weight they are asserting they want to lose body fat, while adding lean toned muscle.

Do you need to eat protein to maintain muscle? That seems to be the concept here on MFP. Or is that bro-science? Even the Guide or Sexypants says to eat 0.8g/LBM (don't quote me here I didn't actually read it again) protein daily.
    By that logic, a Twinkly only diet (and yep, I realize no one actually means eat only Twinklies) which may not have much protein could result in muscle loss.... so if a food doesn't know how to cut fat over muscle, how does a different food know how to retain muscle over fat?

(I realize I said "Twinkly" and "Twinklies" but I decided it was too cute a mistake to fix).

Protein is an essential macro, and yes, that gram to LBM ratio is recommended. What I was challenging was the original post saying that junk food consumption will lead to bone/muscle loss, rather than fat loss, which is not the case. Calories are calories. I can have a cheeseburger from McDonald's (regularly classified as "junk food") and stay within my fat and calories for the day, while getting 15g boost of protein from that sandwich.

Also, I agree that mistake is cute, and I agree with your decision not to fix it.

Edit: I will also add that maintenance and/or calorie surpluses are needed for gains. One won't build muscle in a deficit, so one goal should be to minimize LBM loss during weight loss. Making sure one is eating enough and getting a reasonable amount of protein in per day for their activity level is important. But bodies can't distinguish "junk" protein/calories from "healthy" protein/calories.

Also " One won't build muscle in a deficit" is false, you can build lean muscle while burning Fat, in a calorie defect. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, and most day I'm in a Deficit, but yet my muscles keep getting bigger ;) but you need resistance training and also adequate protein and fat (support normal hormone levels)

I like your passion, but calories are not equal, for example a Big Mac, and a grass fed steak and salad, lets say they had the same Protein , Fat, and Carbs (as example) the Calories you get the Grass Fed steak and salad are much better for the body than processed crap, like a big mac, even though you could still lose weight and body fat % it would not be as healthy of an option.

A calorie is a unit of measurement . 1 calorie = 1 calorie just as 1 inch= 1 inch. The nutritional panels are different and someone may choose a different food based on the macro break down.....

Your correct, but That not what I ment,, a Calorie as a "measurement" is the same, but not all Calories are equal in terms of quality, for example 1 gram of processed pepperoni, has a different amino acid profile , than a natural chicken breast or a Grass Fed steak, they all have different Amino acids that build up these proteins, not all proteins are of the same quality is what I'm saying.

But again.. 100 calories of pepperoni is equal to 100 calories of chicken breast. It's the difference in macro/ micro breakdown
    You're not holding the food to his very specific definition of healthy. Which you and everyone else also has to believe. Because he's right and you're wrong.
  • Zmanning89
    Zmanning89 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is healthy?
    You're using a lot of terms that are debatable in these forums, as everyone's definition of "healthy" is different.

Additionally, I bolded the part that supports my original comment that you can still lose on "junk food". So I'll consider that a moot point now.

Fair enough healthy is debatable , and I agree you can lose weight eating Junk, not saying you can't :smile:

For me, healthy is slowing down the aging process, avoiding inflammation , and Looking good naked ;)

But you must understand that not all proteins are equal, 1 gram of this may have a different amino acid profile than the next.

- Cheers
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

You're not holding the food to his very specific definition of healthy. Which you and everyone else also has to believe. Because he's right and you're wrong.

And has vast nutritional knowledge.

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Every year this so called "military diet" makes the rounds. It's not healthy and it only works in the short term. Anyhow, there are a lot of great diets out there to follow, just do some research and find what works best for you. Best wishes!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    Every year this so called "military diet" makes the rounds. It's not healthy and it only works in the short term. Anyhow, there are a lot of great diets out there to follow, just do some research and find what works best for you. Best wishes!

Yep yep yep.

• Zmanning89
    Options

I agree and have not asserted the opposite, you said exactly what I've been saying, whats with the argumentative tone, this post started out toward the OP, but turned into some weird argumentative on nutrition 101 , is this how MFP is all the time :smile:
  • Azexas
    Options

giphy.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

And has vast nutritional knowledge.
    You're such a noob!
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I agree and have not asserted the opposite, you said exactly what I've been saying, whats with the argumentative tone, this post started out toward the OP, but turned into some weird argumentative on nutrition 101 , is this how MFP is all the time :smile:

You originally gave the OP problematic advice regarding nutrition and bones/muscle being lost through consuming "twinkies and junk", which is why I posted in response to you.

• Zmanning89
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »

Well Said, I suggested the OP to take a more sensable approach and seems like I got my head bitten off ;) I guess that how people welcome new people to MFP :blush:

- Cheers
  • Zmanning89
    Options

You originally gave the OP problematic advice regarding nutrition and bones/muscle being lost through consuming "twinkies and junk", which is why I posted in response to you.

Problematic advice lol :smile: did you even read what I said to her, please read what I wrote, I did not give the OP problematic advice. Why so Hostile :smile:
  • Azexas
    Options

You keep saying you agree... but then go to go on and say that they calories are not created equal. Which why I have responded the way that I have.
    like your passion, but calories are not equal, for example a Big Mac, and a grass fed steak and salad, lets say they had the same Protein , Fat, and Carbs (as example) the Calories you get the Grass Fed steak and salad are much better for the body than processed crap, like a big mac, even though you could still lose weight and body fat % it would not be as healthy of an option.
    but not all Calories are equal in terms of quality, for example 1 gram of processed pepperoni, has a different amino acid profile , than a natural chicken breast or a Grass Fed steak, they all have different Amino acids that build up these proteins, not all proteins are of the same quality is what I'm saying.

^^ your quotes. Again. A calorie is a calorie. A unit of measurement. The nutritional spread of foods are different and are chosen accordingly to help someone reach their goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Problematic advice lol :smile: did you even read what I said to her, please read what I wrote, I did not give the OP problematic advice. Why so Hostile :smile:

We did read what you wrote, answered why what you said was incorrect, which you agreed with.

You posted advice that does not make sense and is not necessary. We try to correct misinformation. Welcome to the forums. :flowerforyou:
  • missiontofitness
    Options

We did read what you wrote, answered why what you said was incorrect, which you agreed with.

You posted advice that does not make sense and is not necessary. We try to correct misinformation. Welcome to the forums. :flowerforyou:

Agreed. I'll save the forums from an extra post by signing off on the above.
  • Zmanning89
    Options

You keep saying you agree... but then go to go on and say that they calories are not created equal. Which why I have responded the way that I have.
    like your passion, but calories are not equal, for example a Big Mac, and a grass fed steak and salad, lets say they had the same Protein , Fat, and Carbs (as example) the Calories you get the Grass Fed steak and salad are much better for the body than processed crap, like a big mac, even though you could still lose weight and body fat % it would not be as healthy of an option.
    but not all Calories are equal in terms of quality, for example 1 gram of processed pepperoni, has a different amino acid profile , than a natural chicken breast or a Grass Fed steak, they all have different Amino acids that build up these proteins, not all proteins are of the same quality is what I'm saying.

^^ your quotes. Again. A calorie is a calorie. A unit of measurement. The nutritional spread of foods are different and are chosen accordingly to help someone reach their goals.

One more time, a Calorie as a UNIT of measurement is the same regardless, but 1g of protein from say processed Lunch meat will have a "different" amino acid profile as 1g of Protein from a grass fed steak, it would have a different amino acid profile than "whey" protein" or 1g of Collagen protein for example.

So from a Calorie stand point, it would "Burn" in a "fire" the same , but your body would use those two grams (with different amino acid profiles) in different ways. Is my point
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Here is what you wrote:

You were challenged to back up your statement that if you eat twinkies and junk, you will not burn fat. That is the problematic advice.

You responded by questioning the basic scientific knowledge of those who challenged you.

You continued to try to backpedal and show off your nutritional know how with statements that you can indeed gain muscle mass in a caloric deficit and talking about the amino acid structure of pepperoni.

All the while asking "why so hostile" and using smileys.

Seriously buddy. You may want to sit back and get to know a forum before jumping in and questioning some of the most experienced, successful members of the community...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs after coming off a ketogenic diet can cause weight gain but perhaps not fat gain.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Maybe this should go in the technical support area, but . . . is there any way to 'unsubscribe' to a thread??? (Once it blows up with hostility, for example) MFP should really look into this feature.
  • Azexas
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Maybe this should go in the technical support area, but . . . is there any way to 'unsubscribe' to a thread??? (Once it blows up with hostility, for example) MFP should really look into this feature.

Go to the bell notification and change your settings. You can "star" threads you want to follow- I hope that made sense