When do you decide to drop a friend?

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal.com but I see the point. Using my food diary I can see why I have not been making the progress I should have and when I look at other diaries I get inspired to work harder. This is supposed to be my easy week but since it is my first week here I have never worked harder. All this comes from being social with my MFP friends. But I have one friend that never responds to any questions or comments about the stuff on their wall. Do I cut these people?

Replies

• deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want?
  • sunshine4u229
    sunshine4u229 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to be of the mindset where you don't need to cut them just don't invest heavily into them
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I tend to be of the mindset where you don't need to cut them just don't invest heavily into them

I share her opinion, but would probably drop people who have not logged in for more than 2 weeks, eat unhealthy low calories, or dont log. I consider MFP friends part of my support network and it has to be supportive by my standards.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If they can't be bothered to answer you, maybe you should find new friends
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Are they hot?
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people don't realize when u communicate with them. I have noticed days later when someone has commented on something of mine or someone has posted on my "page". I wouldn't get bothered by it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that make for a horrible friend so I stopped accepting friend requests. I don't even go to my home page unless I am updating goals or weight. Even then I am only there long enough to click a tab. I have MFP bookmarked to take me directly to my diary page.
  • britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just dropped a MFP friend today. They openly used drug reference in their posts. I am not interested in those topics.
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have a really small group of friends yet, I've dropped 3:
    - 1 posted something negative (gone)
    - 1 never ever posted anything (what's the point)
    - 1 had OVER 1,000 friends (seriously, why?)

My advise is QUALITY over QUANTITY.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I drop non-responsive ones, what's the point in having friends that don't interact? This is an important journey, I don't want any sort of negativity even if it's the passive kind!
    My friends help a great deal, motivating each other is what keeps me on track at the moment.
    I do have too many though, hence the line about not accepting any more in my profile (not that anyone ever reads it, but I guess you can't from the app)
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried allowing friends, but in the end I found it de-motivational. So, my good, real-life friends that are on here, the ones that can see everything and anything on all of my social media, are the only friends I keep here.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I had no idea about the wall portion of MFP for sometime! *cringe with embarassment* I don't seem to see notifications well or pass them or? So, perhaps this person doesn't see the comments/questions? And heck, if you don't like a person-let them go. I wouldn't take it too personally.

Also, I've been considering cutting one recently. Someone who exercises a lot (for me) burns 1500 cals in a day but refuses to eat any extra calories and often has them below 1200. Weekly loses of like 4.5 lbs, etc. The whole thing over my two months here has major red flags and I've been struggling trying to figure out why its so bothersome to me but didn't want to just cut until I understand why I have feelings around it (unhealthy). So my advice is to figure out what it is that bothers you (wanting more engagement, etc) send a message to the friend to say hi, and if no responses-say bye! :)
  • williab3
    williab3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

I share her opinion, but would probably drop people who have not logged in for more than 2 weeks, eat unhealthy low calories, or dont log. I consider MFP friends part of my support network and it has to be supportive by my standards.

I try to be encouraging to my pals that have bad habits. I know how hard it is to eat healthy and exercise in today's wordl
  • williab3
    Options
    I have a really small group of friends yet, I've dropped 3:
    - 1 posted something negative (gone)
    - 1 never ever posted anything (what's the point)
    - 1 had OVER 1,000 friends (seriously, why?)

My advise is QUALITY over QUANTITY.

My first friend had over 1000 pals. If he sat to read all of his thumbs up's and comments he would never have time to work out. I am trying to find new friends with the qualities I am looking for to make a solid support group and then it's hacking-the-dead-weight time!!!
  • williab3
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I drop non-responsive ones, what's the point in having friends that don't interact? This is an important journey, I don't want any sort of negativity even if it's the passive kind!
    My friends help a great deal, motivating each other is what keeps me on track at the moment.
    I do have too many though, hence the line about not accepting any more in my profile (not that anyone ever reads it, but I guess you can't from the app)

Their WAS this 1 girl on my friends list (pretty cute) that never once said thank you or replied to any of the comments or thumbs up's she received.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

This is what I do too. Every once in a while I go through my friends list and delete anyone who hasn't logged in for over 10 days (unless I know they are on vacation or something)