Food to try while in America

Options

Replies

• faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jsickman12 wrote: »
    San Francisco:
    Tommy's Joynt is the real deal San Francisco, and the Grubstake is also great. If you go down to the Warf try the Clam Chowder, but I recommend against Boudin, you can get he chowder in a sourdough bowl on at one of the Places on the warf for less and the same product. Godiva choclates is also a stones throw from the Warf. China town also has some amazing food. If you can find City View Dim Sum, best Dim Sum place I have ever been too....I can keep going there is so much in SF, damn I miss living there.

I loved all the different dumpling places that you could just get something from while walking around China Town, it was amazing. I can't wait to go back to San Fran
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    San Francisco--a fried shrimp po' boy sandwich with remoulade sauce from Brenda's French Soul Food. :-) Also San Francisco, a fancy tropical cocktail (or two) adorned with a paper umbrella from the Hurricane Bar in the Tonga Tiki Restaurant at the Fairmont Hotel.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    While in NY try soft pretzels, sub sandwiches, tastykakes, and scrapple.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - lots added to my list and I only had to google a few times to work out what something is (probably no to scrapple)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Various-004-1024x768.jpg
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You might be disappointed with the matzo ball soup lol
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Various-004-1024x768.jpg

We get tobacco sauce here (yum) but are those tinned sausages?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    krispy kreme original glazed donut. All the fancy donuts are great, but if you've never had krispy kreme, you have to try the glazed first.

Do you have reese's in NZ? If not a reese's peanut butter cup.

I know these are both snacks, but they are awesome and not available in all countries.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    I'll be visiting San Francisco, New York and Honolulu later in the year and, being the slightly obsessive organiser, I'm working on lists of things to do and try while their. Since we get a lot of American TV here in NZ there are foods we don't get that I want to try - so far I have:
    • New York hot dog
    • New York pizza
    • Cheese steak
    • Matza Ball soup (not sure about spelling)
    • Jewish deli sandwich
    • Twinkie
    • Tastykakes – butterscotch krimpet (mainly because of the Janet Evanovich books)
    • Chicken and Waffles
    • American style macaroni and cheese
    • Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream
    Does anyone have any other recommendations - I think we'll be doing a lot of walking so am not too worried about calorie counts while on holiday (although not planning to overdo it too much)

Thanks

Tastykake chocolate cream filled cupcakes....A big Philly soft pretzel with mustard (I like honey mustard)....a big juicy bar/pub burger with your favorite toppings and your favorite beer.......a meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy......an everything bagel with butter.......WAWA coffee if you come east to PA/NJ/DEL area.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot. Dunkin' Donuts
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    While in NY try soft pretzels, sub sandwiches, tastykakes, and scrapple.

Do NOT try scrapple (gross and, besides, that's a Philly thing)
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Beer brats with sauerkraut, beer battered deep fried cheese curds, and Spotted Cow beer, of course.
    OMG, Now I want those!

• LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Buffalo:

Chicken wings
    Beef on weck
    Sponge candy

Barbeque pulled pork
    Shrimp and grits
    Chicken biscuit
  • SherrieTrifle
    SherrieTrifle Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    key lime pie
    apple jelly
    grape jelly
    cheese grits
    waffles
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Pancake stack with all the trimmings for breakfast (managed to gain 10lb when I visited, mainly down to breakfast).
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Used to work in the city (NY)... forget the hotdogs lol. im guessing you got jewish stuff at katz or bens. you did good there. you need to take a trip to little italy. you cant go wrong with any place there... but I have a preference for La Mela. you dont even have to order...they will just bring dishes out. forget the tastycakes, there are a few amazing ciupcake places you can find...lines down the block.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, living in Toronto, Canada, and I've been to the States. So, I'll say this, someone else suggested Starbucks, don't even bother, the Starbucks' here are really really bad compared to the ones in Australia (our coffee is much nicer), the only thing they have over us is more syrups, but it's fine.

American Mac and Cheese is pretty normal, so if you miss out on it, you can easily make it at home.

Everything else sounds good, definitely In n Out Burger. Be prepared for massive portions, super weird bacon and the bread is unusually sweet a lot of the time.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, living in Toronto, Canada, and I've been to the States. So, I'll say this, someone else suggested Starbucks, don't even bother, the Starbucks' here are really really bad compared to the ones in Australia (our coffee is much nicer), the only thing they have over us is more syrups, but it's fine.

American Mac and Cheese is pretty normal, so if you miss out on it, you can easily make it at home.

Everything else sounds good, definitely In n Out Burger. Be prepared for massive portions, super weird bacon and the bread is unusually sweet a lot of the time.

heyyyy-- it's YOUR bacon that's super weird, not ours! ;)