Not losing weight!!

Options
hello!
I have been very frustrated with my weight loss results lately and would love some feedback.
(Female, 5'7, 20 years old)
I took the summer off from college in order to work on myself and improve my lifestyle. I started training with a personal trainer on May 5th every single day in the morning doing interval training for 1:30 and cardio on my own in the afternoon every day for 1:15 for a total of almost 3 hours of fitness every day. I am also eating very healthy: low carb, low fat, and mostly non processed organic food. I am also taking hydroxycut, lcarnitine, and amino acid bbca.
Initially I began with 207lbs and now managed to cut it down to 200. My question is, shouldn't I be losing more weight? I feel like everything I have lost is water weight.
Also considering I am not losing that much weight now, how am I supposed to keep losing weight throughout the year when I don't have nearly as much time as I do now to really focus on this goal??
I did get blood work done and the results indicate a high triglycerides level but nothing else that could be causing my metabolism to be so slow. Thoughts???

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets that initial whoosh. My first couple weeks I gained two pounds. Seven pounds in five weeks is a good rate, though. You didn't put it on fast, so it's not going to come off fast. Make sure you're counting calories and logging your food accurately--the only thing you need to lose is a calorie deficit. Exercise is good (though I'd wonder if you aren't overworking yourself), but it isn't necessary. And ditch the diet pills ASAP, they won't do anything.
  • jenny2505mfp
    jenny2505mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Too much exercise probably. 3 hours a day is alot.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    1. You don't need to be low carb or low fat unless you have a medical condition. What REALLY matters is that you're in a calorie deficit. In terms of weight loss, if you need to eat 1500cals to lose, it can be salad or pizza. Demonizing a food group makes it more attractive, IMO.

2. Drop the hydroxycut, it is garbage. And fire your trainer if they sold it to you.

3. Focus on lifting heavier weights with your trainer. 3 hours a day in the gym is not a sustainable lifestyle change.
  • suerontur3
    suerontur3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started GNC Lean shakes for weight loss. Anyone else?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    1. You don't need to be low carb or low fat unless you have a medical condition. What REALLY matters is that you're in a calorie deficit. In terms of weight loss, if you need to eat 1500cals to lose, it can be salad or pizza. Demonizing a food group makes it more attractive, IMO.

2. Drop the hydroxycut, it is garbage. And fire your trainer if they sold it to you.

3. Focus on lifting heavier weights with your trainer. 3 hours a day in the gym is not a sustainable lifestyle change.

True this.

I focus on intense short bursts of exercise. Keeps me sane, and I can get pretty good burns during those times. That's sustainable for me. If you think you can keep up 3 hours indefinitely, then keep doing what you're doing. But most likely, you can cut your exercise down significantly and still see results.

Also agree with the Hydroxycut; it's snake oil, and won't speed up weight loss. It has caffeine in it. Get a coffee instead.

Additionally, you can eat anything you want, as long as you remain in a deficit. If you're happy with your intake, keep going. If you still want to fit in some ice cream, snacks, ect in, don't be afraid to do so. You most likely don't have a slow metabolism. Metabolic disorders are rare. You are most likely eating more than you think, or are finally seeing a stall in weight loss after a quick initial drop. What is your daily calorie goal?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    suerontur3 wrote: »

Shakes don't magically make you lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    suerontur3 wrote: »

Shakes don't magically make you lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

Exactly. You can gain weight on "Lean shakes for weight loss". *facepalm*
  • dchuekw
    dchuekw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really counting calories as I heard from a lot of people that it's not necessarily the calories I have to concentrate on But the quality of the food. Today I got my fitness pal which says I'm supposed to have under 1200 per day without counting excersise. So I guess I'll start counting and see if I see results there
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't matter for fat loss, it's how much.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    dchuekw wrote: »
    I wasn't really counting calories as I heard from a lot of people that it's not necessarily the calories I have to concentrate on But the quality of the food. Today I got my fitness pal which says I'm supposed to have under 1200 per day without counting excersise. So I guess I'll start counting and see if I see results there

First of all, MFP won't recommend less than 1200 calories. How much weight per week did you input? Usually 0.5 to 1 lb of weight loss per week is do-able. Secondly, you can get fat eating too much "high quality food." In order to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit, however starving yourself is not the answer either. You have to strike a balance. I suggest opening your diary so the very wise folks here can assist you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

False. Weight loss is about calories. You have to consume less than you burn. 200 calories of one type of food is the same as 200 calories as another, as far as weight loss is concerned.

And you should not eat under 1200 calories. It is unhealthy, you will not be fulfilling your nutritional needs.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    MFP settings are terrible don't follow those, with 3 hours exercise 1200 calories is WAY to low your TDEE is probably really high

Educate

http://www.muscleforlife.com/healthy-meal-planning-tips/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a deficit?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Those people are wrong. How much food=weight loss (or gain/maintenance), what kind of food=health and nutrition.

It's also not "under" 1200...it's 1200 plus a portion of what you burn during exercise. Otherwise you won't be able to keep up three hours' worth a day. And with your stats, you can probably eat a bit more and still lose.

Read these threads:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

They were incorrect.
  • dchuekw
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »

First of all, MFP won't recommend less than 1200 calories. How much weight per week did you input? Usually 0.5 to 1 lb of weight loss per week is do-able. Secondly, you can get fat eating too much "high quality food." In order to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit, however starving yourself is not the answer either. You have to strike a balance. I suggest opening your diary so the very wise folks here can assist you.

How do I open the diary?? I started today .
    And I put that I want to lose 2 lbs per week
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's under settings. Count your calories and weigh everything, this does matter if you are trying to lose weight. I had someone say that to me, but I am 118 lbs overweight so yes I do have to count what goes into my mouth.
  • dchuekw
    Options
    What if the food item has a lot of total fat grams and sugar but few calories?