Strength training for weight loss

Options
I noticed from a lot of the message boards people only seem to do cardio and control their calorie intake/diet. How come a lot of people don't strength train as well as cardio?

What do you guys do when you exercise? what is your routine? I'm always looking for tips as well as sharing what I do.

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do it all. Although, I don't track my calories burned for my weightlifting.
  • jengir87
    jengir87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio mix with weight training, now I'm doing just straight weights.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who do strength training. Those who don't are usually either brand new to losing weight, have health concerns that keep them from lifting, or still believe they'll get bulky. Personally I do SL5x5 three times a week and take a 4-5 mile walk on my days off work.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yea I never took into consideration the calories i burn from weightlifting, i guess it would be an extra bonus
    It's good to see i'm not the ONLY one doing both lol. idk i feel like they just go hand in hand. Cardio speeds up your metabolism for the day and weightlifting can speed it up long after.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

This.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

This.

its like an extra bonus of calories burned! lol
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I almost exclusively weight train. However, now that it's summer I plan to start training for a 5k in the fall...just for kicks more so than for weight loss though.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    I noticed from a lot of the message boards people only seem to do cardio and control their calorie intake/diet. How come a lot of people don't strength train as well as cardio?

What do you guys do when you exercise? what is your routine? I'm always looking for tips as well as sharing what I do.

I just do cardio. Elliptical once in the morning and then at night. I don't weight train because I hate it, maybe when I get down to 135 I'll start focusing more on that....but knowing myself i won't maintain it so why bother.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy or you wont stick with it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Really? I think people seem to do a mix of both. (Not me though).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns a lot of calories.
  • arditarose
    Options

Not the way I do it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cardio bites, it's all about the lifting!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cardio burns calories and helps you lose weight because you can eat more and still be in deficit.
    Lifting shapes your body making it strong and beatiful.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Cardio burns calories and gives you a bigger allowance of food to eat. Lifting shapes your body making oulll
    arditarose wrote: »

Not the way I do it.

Yeah...I got that.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cardio burns calories and helps you lose weight because you can eat more and still be in deficit.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I never lifted weights for weight loss... I lifted weights to maintain my muscle mass and get newbie gaines during loosing weight.. weight training is another aspect in fitness and training for body composition but no weight loss IMHO..

I used to do loads of cardio for high calorie burns for the weight loss... been recomping since Feb so my cardio has been decreased to one time a week (but I do run every morning but only because I get my daily energy kick in after running.. or I would be a slug through out the day)..
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Yeah but you have to keep at it right? I read a girl on here say if you stop weight training you'll deflate or I don't know the correct term.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do both, but neither for weight loss. What I do is:
    - Eat less for weight loss
    - Strength train for preserving muscle and to be stronger for all the other stuff
    - Run for cardio-vascular health
    - Throw in cycling/hiking/ice-skating/swimming etc for family fun on weekends
    - And almost daily walks on the river bank, for my sanity :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »

Yeah but you have to keep at it right? I read a girl on here say if you stop weight training you'll deflate or I don't know the correct term.

If you quit entirely, your muscle gains will begin to diminish. That doesn't mean you'll just deflate and be a flabby mess of loose skin. You just won't be as strong and muscular anymore.