Meal Replacement Shakes/Smoothies Success Stories&Tips

Options

Replies

• jojanna22
    jojanna22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of the unflavoured Maxiraw WPI Intensity - to me the idea of have something healthy and chocolate flavoured seems a little odd! I make smoothies with a scoop of that, handful of frozen fruit and a cup of milk. I like it :) Can also mix it in with porridge or some such.

http://shop.maxinutrition.com/maxiraw/protein/wpi-intensity
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    mcr0980 wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Sorry to say it but meal substitutes are no substitute for real food. Very much a fad thing - if you want to make changes to your lifestyle I would avoid these like the plague - as you said you can't stand drinking them so why do it :) You can get more goodness from eating the right stuff.

I actually enjoy drinking a meal. I love smoothies but don't enjoy drinking calories, so I might as well make one a day a meal. It's also because my schedule doesn't necessarily allow me to eat more than two actual meals a day; what I'm looking for are ways to make a shake or smoothie as nutritious as possible

I have the odd smoothie post workout if I am short on my protein intake for the day, mix it with some greek yoghurt and berries. But it's not a replacement meal it's in addition to.

You must be one hell of a busy girl to not have time to eat! To be blunt, my apologies, but you need to make time.

Getting fit starts in the kitchen.

Two separate unpaid internships and a job that I need to work enough to support myself through college, as well as getting my workout in... Yes I'm on the rather busy side thanks =p

so you don't have ten minutes a day to make a sandwich and some oatmeal?

we are all busy. I run my own company and I still make time to cook my own meals..

lol

OP has time to post about Shakeology but is rather busy with school, work, and exercise

on a serious note, ditch the Shakeology and just follow IIFYM to meet your calorie goal and macros

supplement protein shakes to make protein goal easier

can't really get any easier or less time-consuming than that *kitten* right there. you can go to McD's every day on IIFYM if you want

I have ditched the shakeo! I feel like everyone is focusing on that. I'm trying to make my own meal replacement smoothie that doesn't gag me like the shakeo did. Is there a whey protein that is unflavored or anything? That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to make a protein rich smoothie that I can have as a meal on my especially busy days

yes, people here hate Shakeology and anything else like it

it's easiest to just like, drink a protein shake and eat a donut or something. crackers, bread, buy those prepackaged crackers with peanut butter/cheese. anything quick.

keep in mind I'm talking IIFYM here. you will need to sort out your macros

many protein shakes taste passable, some terrible. I generally find vanilla flavored powders to be the least offensive but YMMV. I've had some *kitten* bad vanilla shakes...Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural vanilla is the mildest-tasting one I've had but it is far too expensive these days imo. if you can afford it then go for it. I use MetRX now and it's palatable

if you are determined to have everything in a shaker cup then I'd just go get a weight gainer. it's usually just protein powder + maltodextrin or something similar. or just get a tub of protein powder and a tub of maltodextrin from Amazon or whatever and make your own, then you can adjust the ratio to fit your macros

Generally what I'm aiming is something to add into my fruit smoothies. I generally have water or almond milk, frozen fruit, banana, and ice. So would a vanilla protein powder be my best shot?

for something like that, definitely

but you'll need to try different brands and flavors until you find the best one for yourself
  • surakmn
    surakmn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not a meal replacement, it's a meal - and it has to be done properly or you're just hurting yourself elsewhere. It's easy enough to throw some greens, berries, almond milk, protein powder, banana, nut butter, etc. in the blender and you'll have something that provides nutrition without empty calories and a flavor that doesn't make you want to kill yourself. But you need to get in real meals as well, regularly. As has been correctly stated, doing it right does take a little bit of time and it's a matter of priorities.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    surakmn wrote: »
    It's not a meal replacement, it's a meal - and it has to be done properly or you're just hurting yourself elsewhere. It's easy enough to throw some greens, berries, almond milk, protein powder, banana, nut butter, etc. in the blender and you'll have something that provides nutrition without empty calories and a flavor that doesn't make you want to kill yourself. But you need to get in real meals as well, regularly. As has been correctly stated, doing it right does take a little bit of time and it's a matter of priorities.

strong no-avi first post lol

IIFYM is all you need
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here is a smoothie I make often that you may like:

1 cup strawberries
    1/2 banana
    3/4 cup almond milk
    2 cups spinach
    1/2 teaspoon of strawberry banana crystal light
    1 scoop of protein powder (optional)

Blend it all up with a few ice cubes (I make crystal light icecubes)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Other people can drink all the shakes and smoothies they want, but as for time, cutting up stuff to put in the blender and then washing the blender would take more time than many of the meals I prepare. I spend some time on the weekend batch cooking, freeze a lot of single serve meals, and then keep the fridge stocked with containers of steamed veggies, cut up fruit, chunked chicken, etc. If I have a sudden need to eat, I have lots of choices that would take seconds to put on a plate.
  • mayfiat
    mayfiat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used Shakeology for a while, it was an ok quick start and the chocolate didn't stink too bad. But its a fad for sure and expensive. We use the Orgain Plant Protein Whey from Costco. I can add it to anything that is thick to get a little extra protein. I put it in yogurt or lately I put it in my juice shake which I call the "Green Breakfast Machine."

If you have a blender or bullet its easy. Here's the recipe...

Green Breakfast Machine
    0.25 cup 1" pieces, loosely packed, Kale, raw
    0.25 cup, Chard, swiss, raw
    0.50 fl oz (240 mL), 100% Juice Premium Orange
    1.00 rounded scoops (46g), Organic Protein Plant Based Powder Creamy Chocolate Fudge
    0.25 cup, Blueberries - Raw
    2.00 ounce, Apple Juice - Fuji
    12.00 leaf, Spinach - Raw
    0.25 cup strips or slices, Carrots, raw
    0.25 cup flowerets, Broccoli, flower clusters, raw
    0.10 cup, sliced, Strawberries, raw

Fire that up and drink, 188 calories and 16 g of protein!

The other thing I am obsessed with right now is the Squarebars, 11 g protein, 210 calories but all natural, non gmo. We're big into not counting calories but making your calories count, so the closer you get to real food the better for you...Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    brain328 wrote: »
    Hey!

So I've got this bag of strawberry shakeology that I CANNOT STAND. I have tried many ways to mask the flavor but still have to choke down the smoothie I make. But I still like the idea of a meal replacement shake/smoothie, so here's my question:

Is there a supplement or something or other ingredients I can add to my smoothies to get adequate protein so it is a true meal replacement?

Also any tried and true recipes would be awesome, so we can all learn something new.

Hey there :) I sent you a PM

blatant sales pitch...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hey!

So I've got this bag of strawberry shakeology that I CANNOT STAND. I have tried many ways to mask the flavor but still have to choke down the smoothie I make. But I still like the idea of a meal replacement shake/smoothie, so here's my question:

Is there a supplement or something or other ingredients I can add to my smoothies to get adequate protein so it is a true meal replacement?

Also any tried and true recipes would be awesome, so we can all learn something new.

I'm sure in no way did you offer to sell her some overpriced MLM crap
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Hey!

blatant sales pitch...

lolol
  • kristn__
    kristn__ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie almost every morning for breakfast. It just works for me and I look forward to it

This is my usual:

1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
    100g frozen bananas
    2 tbsp PB2
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    A few ice cubes

I usually drink it around 9am, keeps me full and happy until early afternoon!
  • CPickMuscles
    CPickMuscles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are all up in this girl's schedule, she sounds busy improving herself all around. I also don't know why it's bad to drink nutrition, because it can help shrink your stomach, stave off hunger and provide essential nutrients.
    I do a smoothie everyday for breakfast. I can mix it up in minutes and bring it with me to work.
    I use: Flax seed, Hemp seed, Chia Seed and Vitamineral Green Powder Ver. 5.2 and a banana. I just use water. It doesn't taste like vomit and it keeps me full (at least 12 g Fiber).
    If I want to up the protein I add homemade almond milk (not strained) or silken tofu (flavorless).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Lately, with coconut milk or cashew milk, I mix a Greek yogurt and the following: Protein powder,Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, Goji powder, Acai powder, cinnamon , Cacao nibs, Hemp, Flax, Powdered Calcium, Vitamin D, Maca, Beets, carrots, pomegranate powder, tart cherry

I used to use orange juice but it's so high in sugar. Tried water but couldn't get it down.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie everyday for lunch. My diary is public if you want to have a look. It's yummy and super filling.

ETA: It's not a meal replacement though.. Just having a cup of protein powder with only milk/water would leave me hungry again 20 minutes later!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ngreenan79 wrote: »
    Wow I must say the shakeology hate here is impressive. You do realize it is not a protein powder right? It is full of nutrition and superfoods but to each their own I guess. When I drank it daily it reversed my high cholesterol and made me feel a ton better. It also helped my boyfriend gain weight after years of struggling to force feed himself all the time cause he wasn't hungry ever. Shakeology actually gave him the nutrition he needed.

Just my two cents for people who have never tried it. I'd say font rule it out cause of haters. If you hate the taste though; and I hated some flavors, go for something you will enjoy. This is a lifelong path and you should enjoy it.

Have you tried yogurt in your smoothie? I like isoflex vanilla protein in a fruit smoothie. If you like sweet it's a good one and makes it really creamy!! Fairly cheap as well

you do realize there is no such thing as 'super foods' right?

I have never used shakeology and I gained weight fine on my bulk.

Finally, I can do the same thing if I take whey + fruit + milk and wash it down with a multivitamin.

and no shakeology did not reverse your cholesterol….getting your diet and weight under control will/did.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Wow I must say the shakeology hate here is impressive. You do realize it is not a protein powder right? It is full of nutrition and superfoods but to each their own I guess. When I drank it daily it reversed my high cholesterol and made me feel a ton better. It also helped my boyfriend gain weight after years of struggling to force feed himself all the time cause he wasn't hungry ever. Shakeology actually gave him the nutrition he needed.

Just my two cents for people who have never tried it. I'd say font rule it out cause of haters. If you hate the taste though; and I hated some flavors, go for something you will enjoy. This is a lifelong path and you should enjoy it.

Have you tried yogurt in your smoothie? I like isoflex vanilla protein in a fruit smoothie. If you like sweet it's a good one and makes it really creamy!! Fairly cheap as well

Lol.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    the sooner everyone just flags Shakeology and other MLM product shill posts for spam, the sooner our lives will improve (if only slightly)

<3
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I totally get it. I'm up at 4 AM with a two hour commute one way and some days I just like a smoothie for breakfast to enjoy in the car. I like Jay Robb vanilla whey powder. Very versatile, good flavor, and good texture. I get it on Amazon or I know Super Supplements carries it too. Good luck finding something!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I will work until 1030 tonight and need to be up by 8

That's 9 1/2 hrs sleep. You can easily spend an hour a day preparing your meals.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

you do realize there is no such thing as 'super foods' right?

So pizza doesn't count as a superfood? You get so many macros in one serving.