White Potatoes

Options
TrishLG
TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
White Potatoes are no villains. They are very high in potassium that is heart necessary. They have fiber because they are a crunchy vegetable. Even cooked, the fiber is still there.
But get this! Other than seaweed which I can not choke down for love nor money, they are the vegetable highest in iodine!
Ever thought your thyroid was sluggish, but it tested normal? Then you diet and exercise and no weight comes off? The thyroid needs iodine.
Iodine is in seaweed, fish, shellfish, but also potatoes, cranberries, and sunflower seeds.
I have never seen in in a supplement, but have seen it in multiple vitamins.

A nurse friend visited and saw me using a baked potato as a snack. A medium one only has about 100 calories. I was losing weight fine, but she went off the deep end and told me to stop eating white potatoes. I did and stopped losing weight. I added them back and am doing better.

Some government program did not include potatoes in their program. The head of the Potatoes Growers Association went on a Potato Diet and lost weight, his BP dropped, and his cholesterol dropped. While I do not recommend his diet, I do recommend the vegetable.

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes and will eat them any way I can get them! ;)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes and will eat them any way I can get them! ;)

same here ! I love smashed potatoes mmmm and good ol' mashed

ALL THE 'TATOES !

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I had smashed tators tonight! :D
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love them too. That's the problem with the information age, it also allows misinformation. But it's always been like that, so you just try to filter it out as best you can. I think the problem is the low carb diet labelled them as evil. Luckily most at MFP don't have to worry about that much, just CICO
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1-2 a day! I love yukon gold (yellow) potatoes. Mmm.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I had like 400 some-odd grams of russet potato last night for dinner. I made a totally halfassed "twice baked" potato and it was delicious! :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't trust people who think potatoes are bad. What did they ever do to them? :(
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without potatoes. Seriously, I don't think I could carry on. Lol
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Try telling this to the low carb peeps....
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I'm not even Irish, but I can cook potatoes better than anyone I know (even my fellow Chef buddies)... Ask away if you have a question here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32830703
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n2patsaCTX1tvizo2o1_500.gif

Mmmmm!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    tumblr_n2patsaCTX1tvizo2o1_500.gi

Mmmmm!

Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew?
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight. The potato portion (sans gravy and the butter and cashew milk making them creamy) is only 180 calories (and 6 g of protein and fiber... and 1200mg potassium):wzvgplvwdyfy.jpg

Nearly all of my weeknight dinners include 296g of potatoes cooked in one of many, MANY ways. Yay potatoes!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    roasted potatoes with salt, pepper, olive oil and rosemary are the best! having that tomorrow night with my NY strip ...
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight. The potato portion (sans gravy and the butter and cashew milk making them creamy) is only 180 calories (and 6 g of protein and fiber... and 1200mg potassium):wzvgplvwdyfy.jpg

Nearly all of my weeknight dinners include 296g of potatoes cooked in one of many, MANY ways. Yay potatoes!

That looks fantastic!
  • britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love both white and sweet potatoes!! I eat one or the other 3 -4 times a week.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    TrishLG wrote: »
    Ever thought your thyroid was sluggish, but it tested normal?

How do I tell if my thyroid is sluggish??

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Ughhh want that right now. Right nowwww. lol
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

Ughhh want that right now. Right nowwww. lol

It is SO good! I ended up with half my husband's steak and carrots cause I didn't realize he'd be gone, but as pictured - including any oil used to cook - it's less than 600 calories for all of that (the steaks are veeerry thin -- it's only 4.5 oz). Was going to mash the carrots in with the potatoes to 'fill them out' and then realized just how huge and fluffy just two servings of potatoes ends up mashed with butter and 'milk'. Potatoes are just the best thing to fill out your meal for a moderate amount of calories :D