Exercise and Crankyness

Does anyone else get so tired when they exercise that they get cranky, I mean to the point that you get in my way someone is going to get hurt cranky?

I was cycling to work 3 days a week and switched out to run/shuffle 2 days a week and I got so tired during the day I was annoying even myself.

After the running I would usually have a couple of scrambled eggs and a glass of milk so I wasn't at all hungry but the mood changed for the rest of the day.

Annoyingly though after 3 weeks of running (and 4 weeks of cycling) I still haven't lost any weight despite counting the calories but I've had to give up on the running.

How do you burn enough calories to lose the weight without getting cranky?

Replies

• breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2015
    I actually thought this thread would be about being cranky because of a lack of exercise.. that's what I experience personally. Do you actually enjoy the exercise you do or are you just doing it to burn calories? Cause I'd be cranky if I was only working out for that purpose. Also, are you eating enough to refuel your body? I would also look into whether there are any vitamins or minerals I was consistently not hitting the goals for (tiredness possibly iron? grumpiness maybe b vits?)
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Oh yes... Very cranking. I was told it's like I get possessed by the devil, I talk with my eyes. Because usually I'm patient, but when I'm dieting nothing is amusing to me, tolerance level for stupidity is really low and everything annoys me.

And then I eat an apple and I'm ok.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    I enjoy the exercise, whats not to like about running along the canal in the morning. I'd considered the vitamins and minerals so I started take a multivitamin just to top up any of my oversights.

I was thinking it might be a low sugar thing having burn't the calories?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Hmm, low blood sugar? im can be a (*&^$^%%^ &^%$% if my blood sugar gets low.
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    re: low blood sugar (if that's what you meant?), depending on how regularly you're currently eating, maybe try eating more often or adding in a few snacks in between meals and see if that improves your mood?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    You're not eating enough to fuel your workouts.
    weeblex wrote: »
    After the running I would usually have a couple of scrambled eggs and a glass of milk so I wasn't at all hungry but the mood changed for the rest of the day

Are you doing fasted cardio?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

For me it's by having an appropriate but not excessive calorie deficit.
    Calorie deficit mostly comes from your diet, exercise should be for fitness, health and enjoyment.

As your profile is private it's all guesswork for you.
    Let me make a guess - you don't eat back your exercise calories?
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    I know how you feel, last week i started back at swimming after an 8 week break and i have been so cranky all this second week. I love swimming in fact it is one of the few exercises apart from walking that i enjoy and can afford so i guess my body has got get back into the swing of things before the crankiness goes and life goes back to normal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Sounds more like a lack of nutrition problem rather than an exercise problem.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Sounds like your diet needs adjusting to me

you need to fuel your body for appropriate exercise
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    yeah, I'm with the "time to up your calorie intake" crowd...

I find that exercise gets rid of the cranky for me, it certainly doesn't cause it. If I'm overly tired it is definitely down to either doing too much or not eating enough - easily figured by just looking at my logs.

If you are using a HRM and doing steady state you can trust the calorie expenditure more than you can for HIIT etc. so don't be afraid to eat some of those calories back, your body needs the fuel.

In regards to weight, it sounds like this exercise program is fairly new to you, ignore your weight for a while. It takes your body a while to adjust. It will fluctuate more depending on hydration, DOMS etc. Give it time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    sijomial wrote: »

Calorie deficit mostly comes from your diet, exercise should be for fitness, health and enjoyment.

^This.

I suffer with fatigue from multiple medical issues. I find exercise invigorating. When it's not, I know I need to eat.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I'm the exact opposite--I would probably throat-punch people if I DIDN'T run or do yoga.

Maybe it's because you were cycling to work, since that makes it more of a duty rather than a release?
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

^This.

I suffer with fatigue from multiple medical issues. I find exercise invigorating. When it's not, I know I need to eat.

I second this. My husband secretly tries to plan physical activities for me to do on my rest days out of fear that I'll go on a rampage. On days I workout I love the world. On days I don't, I turn into a mega b****. Any time I get cranky after exercise it's because I haven't eaten enough.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    OK, so I get the eat more to compensate for the exercise, I do eat more, I was just commenting on my breakfast. I think MFP has me at 1750 Calories + my exercise and I'm usually 100 calories give or take at that and I'm not losing or gaining weight. I wonder if it might be to do with the timing of the calories rather than the quantity?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    OK, so I get the eat more to compensate for the exercise, I do eat more, I was just commenting on my breakfast. I think MFP has me at 1750 Calories + my exercise and I'm usually 100 calories give or take at that and I'm not losing or gaining weight. I wonder if it might be to do with the timing of the calories rather than the quantity?

Yeah. Are you a woman? Our blood sugar is a little lower than men's in the morning. Eat like 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese with some fruit and/or nuts before you work out. Or a piece of toast with ham or cheese. And then work out, and then have your eggs or whatever.