Food dependencies - this is an interesting article - what's your opinion ?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it comes from a website trying to sell a service (and not cheap) that says "forget about calorie counting"

it's a load of crap.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The research on this issue is ongoing and is far from settled, even according to the authors of the Yale Food Addiction Scale.

I'll wait until they put the diagnosis in the DSM before deciding how I feel on the whole thing.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of woo in the article. The references are mainly to discussion pieces not peer reviewed research. The only research that is mentioned are 2 studies that support the standpoint of the article and considering the amount of research out there it makes me think they've only looked at things that support there point of view. I understand the article is not meant to be a full analysis of the science but if your going to talk about things as if they are scientific fact you need to put multiple points of view across. There are some interesting points in there but too much stating things as fact when the research is ongoing and not conclusive

Overall a poor article
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    it comes from a website trying to sell a service (and not cheap) that says "forget about calorie counting"

it's a load of crap.

I should have shortened my response to this ;)

• hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

it's a load of crap.

yes, you are right, they want to sell their service but nevertheless I thought it was interesting as the debate about food dependencies is ongoing on this website.
  • hupsii
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    There's a lot of woo in the article. The references are mainly to discussion pieces not peer reviewed research. The only research that is mentioned are 2 studies that support the standpoint of the article and considering the amount of research out there it makes me think they've only looked at things that support there point of view. I understand the article is not meant to be a full analysis of the science but if your going to talk about things as if they are scientific fact you need to put multiple points of view across. There are some interesting points in there but too much stating things as fact when the research is ongoing and not conclusive

Overall a poor article

thanks for commenting
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The research on this issue is ongoing and is far from settled, even according to the authors of the Yale Food Addiction Scale.

I'll wait until they put the diagnosis in the DSM before deciding how I feel on the whole thing.

Technically it exists already in the DSM. Substance abuse and substance dependence. It does not matter the substance as long as the person meets the diagnostic criteria.

I do believe food addiction exists, but it is rare. I think people speak about it in a really general way, but someone doesn't have a dependence unless they can meet the diagnostic criteria. I would say few if any who are overweight or obese do.

Eh... they leave it vague, but the leading researchers don't agree. Until they specifically put it there? I'll wait.

I think you and I can agree on this point -- if it exists? Self-diagnosis doesn't count.

And therein lies my problem with what we see on the boards. Everyone who comes here self-diagnoses. If they had some clinical backing for their claims I might pay them more mind.

• flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to be honest and I'd appreciate not being flamed for it because it is still uncomfortable for me even though I don't actually know you guys and girls.

Yes food addiction does exist although it is rare and yes my doctor diagnosis me with it BUT I had to have a loaf of tests including a brain scan while been shown pictures of food, while eating etc. before she was willing to actually commit to it being an addiction.

As for a"cure", well I've been told there isn't one as such, is not like the doctors can give me a pill that means eating will make me ill, because I need to eat too live. What I am doing is cognitive therapy to try to help me manage it and try and find out what caused it. (I've been told that most addictions are rooted in something else).

The article is right in some ways one helpful thing is to find triggers and avoid them, but my psychologist says I have an addictive personality and we are working on changing my addiction to a healthier substance, I'm my case exercise.

I joke about having a food addiction (and it is ANY food not just one as the article says). But in reality it is hard, sometimes I have eaten so much I feel sick if I move and yes in a way it has ruled and ruIned my life, it's only been this year that I've been actually been able to start coming to grips with it.

There's also not a lot of help even once it has been diagnosed, mostly because people think it's an excuse not a real thing, and I certainly haven't been able to find a local support group like an alcoholic or drug user could. Thankfully I do have a very supportive family and friends circle who go out of their way to help me. My psychologist and doctor are always available as well even to the point that I can get in touch with them on a weekend and out of hours if I really need them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Technically it exists already in the DSM. Substance abuse and substance dependence. It does not matter the substance as long as the person meets the diagnostic criteria.

I do believe food addiction exists, but it is rare. I think people speak about it in a really general way, but someone doesn't have a dependence unless they can meet the diagnostic criteria. I would say few if any who are overweight or obese do.

This is exactly how I feel. I think even if one thinks seriously and honestly about the criteria most people claiming addiction on MFP could not possibly fit. For example--negative consequences as in I eat and get fat are not enough. Do you literally feel so uncomfortable not eating for a time or unable to stop that you miss work, avoid seeing friends, can't go out of the house on the weekends except to buy food, stuff like that. If you eat out of a bag people routinely overeat, so using that as a sign of addiction is dumb. But do you routinely feel compelled to keep eating well after the food is enjoyable because stopping seems uncomfortable? Are you stuffing yourself beyond pleasure regularly and not just because you eat too fast but even after the food stops being enjoyable.

My main disagreement with the usual MFP discussion is the idea that real addiction had anything to do with eating being pleasurable or food being so tasty that you want to keep eating. That's just normal, yet it's why most are fat, really, along with emotional stuff, of course. And on those lines I don't think eating to self comfort qualifies either, although it may be a step along the continuum. (Similarly people seem to use binge to mean ate more than I intended, which is not sufficient to make a binge.)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to be honest and I'd appreciate not being flamed for it because it is still uncomfortable for me even though I don't actually know you guys and girls.

Yes food addiction does exist although it is rare and yes my doctor diagnosis me with it BUT I had to have a loaf of tests including a brain scan while been shown pictures of food, while eating etc. before she was willing to actually commit to it being an addiction.

As for a"cure", well I've been told there isn't one as such, is not like the doctors can give me a pill that means eating will make me ill, because I need to eat too live. What I am doing is cognitive therapy to try to help me manage it and try and find out what caused it. (I've been told that most addictions are rooted in something else).

The article is right in some ways one helpful thing is to find triggers and avoid them, but my psychologist says I have an addictive personality and we are working on changing my addiction to a healthier substance, I'm my case exercise.

I joke about having a food addiction (and it is ANY food not just one as the article says). But in reality it is hard, sometimes I have eaten so much I feel sick if I move and yes in a way it has ruled and ruIned my life, it's only been this year that I've been actually been able to start coming to grips with it.

There's also not a lot of help even once it has been diagnosed, mostly because people think it's an excuse not a real thing, and I certainly haven't been able to find a local support group like an alcoholic or drug user could. Thankfully I do have a very supportive family and friends circle who go out of their way to help me. My psychologist and doctor are always available as well even to the point that I can get in touch with them on a weekend and out of hours if I really need them.

That was brave to post this.

I hope you find the support and strength you need.

People get addicted to all kinds of things

There are probably people here addicted to Internet forums
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My opinion is I think it's malarkey!
  • hupsii
    Options

Yes, very brave ! I hope you will find your way out of this. There is a group I believe that are called Anonymous Overeater or something similar - perhaps you can check this out ?

I must say that I remember an occasion where I had invited someone for coffee and set out some chocolate cookies. I was staring at these cookies and could no longer concentrate on the conversation. I was quite shocked about my behaviour. I used to smoke a lot and after giving up cigarettes, I "rewarded" myself with fun food. This is nowhere close to what you are experiencing but I can relate. Be kind to yourself !
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, it does mean a lot to me.

Hupsii, thank you very much. I've never heard of them before, but there is an overeaters anonymous group about 30 miles away from me, and talking to my psychologist she said it might be a good support group. So we are going to try and arrange a meeting with the leader to see if it will be suitable. It's a bit of a trek but plenty of people will be happy to take me there and pick me up when hubby is on nights.

• hupsii
    Options
    Thanks for the support, it does mean a lot to me.

Hupsii, thank you very much. I've never heard of them before, but there is an overeaters anonymous group about 30 miles away from me, and talking to my psychologist she said it might be a good support group. So we are going to try and arrange a meeting with the leader to see if it will be suitable. It's a bit of a trek but plenty of people will be happy to take me there and pick me up when hubby is on nights.

That sounds great ! I hope you will find the help you need and meet lots of great people !
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    addiction comes in many forms. I believe food can be one of them. one can be addicted to the feeling something gives a person. alcohol and drugs can numb a person or make them feel more comfortable in a situation. food is comforting. food does not judge or ask silly questions. but the fact is food is only food and food cannot provide the support people can.
    obsession is also a thing. and it can lead to compulsion which then can lead to an addiction once you feel the relief of fulfilling the compulsion
    I'm guessing you will be fine with OA, as it helps redefine food relationships. and maybe once/if you like it, you could start a group in your area. I believe there is also an online forum with OA.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dependency, yes (and yes to dependency above and beyond the need to continue living).
    Addiction, no.