Gaining

Options
Ron_TheArtist
Ron_TheArtist Posts: 5 Member
By gaining weight are we getting fatter or heavier?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    both
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    That depends. I get heavier from drinking water, but it's not going to make me fatter.

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you want to pick it apart - gaining fat means you're fatter, gaining weight means you're heavier.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    That's the big fear for me. I'm currently eating at a deficit and training to reduce fat and maintain muscle. Once I hit my target weight I will be upping the calories and working to gain muscle but I know some extra fat will come with that. It's scary thinking I could be back where I started and accidentally just gain a whole load of fat!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You're going to put on fat. It's going to happen in a bulk.

It's best to come to terms with it psychologically before you start and then you won't be afraid to eat when you do it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You're going to put on fat. It's going to happen in a bulk.

It's best to come to terms with it psychologically before you start and then you won't be afraid to eat when you do it.

this.

if you gain ten pounds at a 1:1 ratio you are going to add five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle. No way around it…accept it and bulk, or don't….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    That's the big fear for me. I'm currently eating at a deficit and training to reduce fat and maintain muscle. Once I hit my target weight I will be upping the calories and working to gain muscle but I know some extra fat will come with that. It's scary thinking I could be back where I started and accidentally just gain a whole load of fat!

you just need to keep weighing and measuring. IF you gain too fast then back off the calories…

this is why most recommend going slow with .5 pound per week gain ..hard to put on that much fat with only 250 calorie increase …but there will be some.
  • jpwoods326
    jpwoods326 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What is the best protein shake out there , i need more protein to gain my 25lbs ? All replies would help , i am 34 yrs old and stuck @ 140 lbs since 20 yrs old and want to be around 175 lbs
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jpwoods326 wrote: »
    What is the best protein shake out there , i need more protein to gain my 25lbs ? All replies would help , i am 34 yrs old and stuck @ 140 lbs since 20 yrs old and want to be around 175 lbs

No, a calorie surplus is what will help you gain mass. You are probably underestimating your caloric intake.

Keep adding 100-150 cals a day until you hit the sweet spot that you're gaining 0.5-1lb/week. If it looks like you rate of gain is tailing off, add more cals. Rinse. Repeat.

If you're eating enough to get that kind of gain, you'll get the optimal fat/muscle gain (if your training's on point) and you'll get ample protein. Carbs are what you really want to be concerned with: make sure you eat your pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. Carb-o-phobes don't make good bulkers....

You'll probably want to have a few bulk/cut runs at adding 30+lbs. Aim to set aside a year or two, training intelligently and eat sufficient food. If you can't commit to this kind of timescale you probably won't get very far. These kind of things are multi-year efforts.