Eat whatever you want and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here thinks elimination diets are a good idea (?)

I follow mostly IIFYM but also see no issue with elimination diets if that works for someone.
    Want to eat 'clean', low sugar, no bread, paleo, vegetarian, pescatarian, keto or whatever? Good for you, there are all sorts of roads to get where you want to.

I've happily removed the sadness that are cucumbers from my diet. Elimination, yo!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    100lbs down and maintaining for nearly 2 years doing it this way
  • katiepulcini
    katiepulcini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Agreed! This is my mindset/plan. Eat whatever you want, exercise the excess off. Add me! :smile:
  • Jorggeeeee90
    Jorggeeeee90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I still eat what i want but in moderation of course. I try to leave my extra calories towards the end of the day so i can make sure i hit my fiber, vitamin and mineral intake.
  • JAMsMom13
    JAMsMom13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really love where this thread is going. I have met a lot of great people who have been super successful with this type of weight loss plan. When I started this thread, I fully expected to be bashed for my views, but this is refreshing! Thank you all. Oh btw, I was craving pizza today so I made a home made meat lovers extra cheese large pizza and I have been eating it all day! I measured and weighed all ingredients. 170 calories of heaven per slice. What a lovely way to lose weight! ((ADD ME
  • baileye1
    baileye1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying MyFitnessPal for the second time around. I like this mindset, I want to be happy and healthy, not starved and deprived. Please friend me! I think I only have one friend Lol.
  • JAMsMom13
    Options
    baileye1 wrote: »
    I am trying MyFitnessPal for the second time around. I like this mindset, I want to be happy and healthy, not starved and deprived. Please friend me! I think I only have one friend Lol.

You got it!
  • arhewitt661
    arhewitt661 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes! This is the only way that works for me. I have lost ten pounds so far. When I restrict myself from foods that I love I just end up binging on them sooner rather than later! Today I was able to eat a burger for dinner and chocolate for dessert and stay within my deficit for the day :p food tastes so much better without the guilt!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For around twenty years, I tried every restrictive diet out there. I usually couldn't last more than a few days. When I finally realized that I could just count calories and eat what I wanted, it was as though the heavens opened and and the birds were singing lol. I lost 123 pounds this way and have maintained for over a year. My husband has lost over 140.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I do much better in terms of calorie compliance (and general well-being) when I eat like nutritionists want you to. I also like it, though. I do still occasionally have fast food, but it's a slippery slope for me if I have it too often (e.g. 2 days in a row - that usually leads to 3 or more). That food also just doesn't fill me up for the calories, at all; I have to go over my target to stay as full as I do when I focus on food quality.
  • 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing the whole eating clean thing, but I cant keep it up long-term.
    The only way I know is to limit my calories to 1600 max during the week, because at the weekend I like to have a few beers, maybe some chocolate etc.
    I still eat peanut butter, bread etc. during the week but have to make it fit into my allowance.
    My typical day would go:
    Breakfast: Fruit n fibre cereal with milk or natural peanut butter on toast, and an apple.
    Lunch: Chicken/steak/pork loin with salad.
    Dinner: Chicken/steak/pork/sausages with sweet potato and cabbage.
    Desert: Yogurt with fruit or bar of chocolate.
    This works for me.
  • jennifereck1027
    jennifereck1027 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating what I want but I find that I'm motivated to cut my portions in half to stay within my limits. I've also completely become a "dressing on the side" girl which was the easiest switch to make and save a ton of calories ...
  • belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    86 pounds down and still going. I do not deprive myself of anything, but moderation. Though seeing how many calories some items have, have seriously cut back or cut some snacks out entirely. ( this did not happen overnight ) and I am not a fitness nut either. I get more exercise now because I can and I do enjoy a good long walk.
    I also seem to be eating healthier, just because it helps me get to my goals.
    That said, going to the fair this weekend and mmmmm corn dog is on the menu.
    Open to new friends so feel free to add me.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    JAMsMom13 wrote: »
    So, I find that the only time I don't lose weight is when I don't eat what I want. I am a firm believer in eating what ever the heck I want just in moderation! I'm down almost 20lbs so I must be doing something right! I am looking for friends who share this belief because it seems like everyone is on this no sugar, no salt, no fun lifestyle. I can't live like that... I won't. So, if you are in the same boat and have been successful or even if you are just starting out, please add me!

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been doing "diets" off and on for the last 35 years, and they haven't worked because restriction just makes me want to eat.

Low carb, which I've attempted many times, just messes with my head.

My sister gave me a NutriBullet a couple of years ago, and I was able to lose 22 pounds, but I don't always want to drink my meals, so that's kind of fallen by the wayside.

I've regained 10 of the pounds I had lost, and want to stop the regain and get back to losing, so I'm going to give tracking with MFP a try and see if that helps at all. I refuse to cut out any food categories, and I'm not going to eat food I don't like just for the sake of weight loss (fat free crap, plain veggies without butter, etc.)

Seeing that several of you here have lost a lot of weight by eating what you like gives me hope that this might work for me too.

• bsl94
    bsl94 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am following this way of life too after totally falling off the wagon being too strict with clean eating and putting on 2 stone of my 6.5 stone lost in the last 6 months...Feeling positive and I know what works for me so going back to calorie counting and feeling in control...Please add me :) xxx
  • JAMsMom13
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    For around twenty years, I tried every restrictive diet out there. I usually couldn't last more than a few days. When I finally realized that I could just count calories and eat what I wanted, it was as though the heavens opened and and the birds were singing lol. I lost 123 pounds this way and have maintained for over a year. My husband has lost over 140.

Simply awesome!
  • JAMsMom13
    Options
    beckyf3506 wrote: »
    JAMsMom13 wrote: »
    So, I find that the only time I don't lose weight is when I don't eat what I want. I am a firm believer in eating what ever the heck I want just in moderation! I'm down almost 20lbs so I must be doing something right! I am looking for friends who share this belief because it seems like everyone is on this no sugar, no salt, no fun lifestyle. I can't live like that... I won't. So, if you are in the same boat and have been successful or even if you are just starting out, please add me!

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been doing "diets" off and on for the last 35 years, and they haven't worked because restriction just makes me want to eat.

Low carb, which I've attempted many times, just messes with my head.

My sister gave me a NutriBullet a couple of years ago, and I was able to lose 22 pounds, but I don't always want to drink my meals, so that's kind of fallen by the wayside.

I've regained 10 of the pounds I had lost, and want to stop the regain and get back to losing, so I'm going to give tracking with MFP a try and see if that helps at all. I refuse to cut out any food categories, and I'm not going to eat food I don't like just for the sake of weight loss (fat free crap, plain veggies without butter, etc.)

Seeing that several of you here have lost a lot of weight by eating what you like gives me hope that this might work for me too.

We are here for you! Trust me, it's all about budgeting and eventually you get to the point when you say, "do I want to spend $100 on this 1 shirt or buy 5 for $20 each?" Rich foods can be calorically expensive but I say, eat whatever makes you happy as long as your budget allows.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat what i want in moderation and still stick around 1200 cals a day. Im down 30lbs. Just stopped doing soda, candy and fast food every single day. I still do fast food occasionally but opt for no bun and no fries. Sauces are the hard part for me.... Cant live life without mayo or fry sauce lol even without the fries!
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eliminating everything either. If I am hungry for something "forbidden", then I make a plan to include that or I eat it and cut something else out. I don't force myself to have breakfast if I'm not hungry for it, and there have been a few days where I don't eat until supper time. I have cut out 95% of sugary foods (I can't give up my ice cream altogether) and potatoes and rice for the most part. I will have bread, but it will only be once a day. I don't think I am deprived at all. When I did MFP back in August 2012, I bought into the whole "you won't lose weight because your body is in starvation mode", and I ate around 1600 calories then and still lost weight, although it was very slow going. Now I can average anywhere from 1100 calories to 1400 calories most days, but there are still times occasionally where I'll go over that. I have found that my appetite has changed over the years but especially with cutting out the sugar - it's just plain easier.