Best cardio/weight loss machines at the gym

Options
Hello all,

I have just started going to the gym (for the first time ever) and I have no idea what machines I should be using to lose my unwanted love handles.

I have been starting with a 20min run, then a 20min row and then a 20min cycle.

Is it good to mix them up, or stay on one for longer periods?

Any help for a gym newbie would be great!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are no machines or exercise that will reduce fat in specific spots.
    If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than what you burn. This means either eating less and not moving at all, or also upping exercise to increase what you burn.
    Exercise is for fitness and health. If you have goals related to endurance and cardio capacity, you need to focus on cardio. If you have goals related to building muscle or increasing strength, you need some sort of resistance training, dependign on what exactly you want to do. For overall health, ideally you need a combination of both.
    Plus, what you like and find sustainable matters, so start from there. To be honest, for me, the basic problem with your routine that I could never get past, is that I would personally find it incredibly boring to commit to it even for one week, but this is where personal preferences come into the picture.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you enjoy using. You are far more likely to be consistent with your workouts if you enjoy them.

Weight loss is a result of calorie deficit; exercise can help get you there but is more for health.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ofc auddii is correct in that its the one you will use consistently.

There is also the point that the amount of calories you burn will depend on the intensity and duration of your exercise. Whilst what you consume is your port of first call for weight loss and you need to sort that out first then doing consistent exercise will help with that deficit, depending on how much you burn. The exercise and fitness can contribute by giving you greater endurance amd raising your metabolism temporarily. Some people it makes hungrier others it doesnt affect. Its easier not to consume than it is to exercise the equivalent, but if you do a lot of exerccise then you cna burn a useful amount of calories. Music is a boon.

If you cna manage your routine then its fine for variety. You should also do some resistance training, maybe on alternate days because it is complementary and has different benefits.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yea what they said, getting a good heart rate monitor worked for me. I choose a polar because it links up to most gym equipment so I can do a cardio work out and not have to hold the handles. Here are the guidelines that I use. I'm up to 240 to 300 mins a week of vigorous cardio.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
  • superflyrun
    superflyrun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These guys are making it way to difficult, jump on the machine you enjoy the most, for me it is the cross trainer, set it to the levels that allow you to get an intense workout in, whatever that is for YOU, then go for it girl! If you enjoy switching up, then do it. You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are! I gibe about 45 min to my cross trainer, while on it I switch it up I use weights, I change my resistance to work different muscles, ect. Then I gibe about 30 min to weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good! Jump on aachine, rock your workouts, eat healthy and you'll see lbs drop and you'll be happy!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    do whatever you like... its all cake baby! just sweat and thats the good one for you.... i like the stepper and the elliptical...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    These guys are making it way to difficult, jump on the machine you enjoy the most, for me it is the cross trainer, set it to the levels that allow you to get an intense workout in, whatever that is for YOU, then go for it girl! If you enjoy switching up, then do it. You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are! I gibe about 45 min to my cross trainer, while on it I switch it up I use weights, I change my resistance to work different muscles, ect. Then I gibe about 30 min to weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good! Jump on aachine, rock your workouts, eat healthy and you'll see lbs drop and you'll be happy!

And that was simpler?
  • auddii
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

And that was simpler?

Stating the same thing we said but in a longer paragraph is much simpler. Duh.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

How many different ways can I say that this is all wrong?

Exercise doesn't make you lose weight.

You cannot spot tone and lose fat in specific locations.

Just for starters.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so you need to go for overall fat reduction. Which is accomplished with a calorie deficit. So the bottom line is: whichever machine you like using the best, as type of exercise burns calories and helps contribute to your calorie deficit.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You will burn a decent number of calories doing all three exercises you describe and if all you want to do is lose a few pounds it probably doesn't matter which of these you choose. If what you really want is to look leaner, though, not just weigh less, a lot of people on MFP will tell you to consider incorporating strength training from the get go. I prefer running and other cardio to strength training, but I'm forcing myself to do it for this very reason.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello all,

I have just started going to the gym (for the first time ever) and I have no idea what machines I should be using to lose my unwanted love handles.

A good work out is one you enjoy doing.

Unfortunately there is no way to spot reduce fat. Your body chooses where you will lose it. Being in a calorie deficit will help you lose the weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I think rowing's the real burner of all of them. But you should do all three to mix it up and avoid repetitive strain.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Just for starters.

It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work.
  • auddii
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Just for starters.

It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work.

I think you're both right. It isn't necessary, but it can help a lot of people. I do tons of cardio because I like to eat lots of food (and time in the gym before dinner is time I'm not at home in the kitchen snacking).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

And that was simpler?

Stating the same thing we said but in a longer paragraph is much simpler. Duh.

Not quite the same - that poster is also talking about spot-reduction.

So, just a big fat "NO" on that one. Big fat "YES" to the previous others.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Your favorite. Mixing up might increase your total burn, though, by cutting muscle fatigue.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. It helps to create a calorie deficit, but weight loss depends on CICO. Exercise will help to condition, retain lbm, improve fitness, etc. based on the type of training you do, but without a calorie deficit, fat loss isn't going to improve much. Ask any NFL lineman.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    what machine you use is pretty much irrelevant to losing weight. personally, I look at fitness for the sake of fitness...but if all you're interested in is burning calories than know that calorie burn is a bi-product of moving mass a certain distance and the intensity at which that is done...it really has nothing to do with what machine you choose to do that with.

Just my $.02 but establishing some fitness goals that are independent of burning calories or losing weight or whatever will open up a whole new world to you...acknowledging fitness for the sake of fitness will open up a whole other world.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Just for starters.

Where did she say anything about regulating appetite, allowing a margin of error for food and anything about muscle work?