Issue with Fitbit calorie adjustment

Options
Okay, so I screwed up. Here's what happened today and hopefully someone out there can help:

>Logged non-walking exercise on MFP for the first time (swimming)
>Info ported over to Fitbit just fine
>Realized I marked the duration of exercising longer than it was
>Lowered amount of minutes in MFP
>Info would not port to MFP
>Deleted exercise from Fitbit
>Deleted exercise from MFP, started over, now with correct time
>Still wasn't updating. Turned phone off and on.
>Success! Correct time now showing up on Fitbit
>Bad news: Calorie adjustment on MFP is now 0 and hasn't changed in hours even though I've been very active today even without the swimming.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Replies

• cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you don't have negative adjustments enabled, and that MFP has overestimated how much energy you burnt whilst swimming. So Fitbit is reporting a lower burn rate than your MFP total, but can't do a negative adjustment...
  • CarlaSol90
    CarlaSol90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Hmmm, well the previous day I was just as active, only I didn't swim and had a 400 calorie adjustment. Still might be that I don't have negative adjustments enabled? Is this a problem I should expect when entering exercises to MFP?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No need to log any step-based exercise—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Last night my husband was having an issue in that info was not syncing between MFP & FItbit. So it could have been just a temporary glitch. (My updates synced immediately - so it was odd.)
  • CarlaSol90
    Options
    Hey editorgrrl! I'm not logging exercises in both, that's not the problem. Thanks for the tips.

Hi StaciMarie1974! Hmmm, perhaps it's a glitch. I guess I'll see if I still have issues today or if I'll just consider yesterday an off day.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I was trying to suggest you log your exercise in Fitbit rather than in MFP. It's way easier.
  • CarlaSol90
    Options
    Ah! Is there a way to log swimming? I've only seen the options to add walk/hike/run.
  • CarlaSol90
    Options
    Never mind, I found it. Thank you! I'll do that from now on.
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How do you enable the negative calorie adjustments? I am having a similar experience. Say if I'm running on the treadmill, I'll set my stopwatch on my fitbit and it says that I burn 200 calories. I can't get that activity to show up on MFP.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    How do you enable the negative calorie adjustments? I am having a similar experience. Say if I'm running on the treadmill, I'll set my stopwatch on my fitbit and it says that I burn 200 calories. I can't get that activity to show up on MFP.

You could post it on MFP for the correct time so it will cancel out the extra calories on FitBit from that time, but I've heard people with FitBits say it's easier for them to just post a status update saying what you burned so people know you did it. I don't write it as a status update or add it to MFP so I look like I don't do anything but my calories still transfer over so I don't mind. It's up to you what you want to do.
  • editorgrrl
    Options

They're two entirely different things. If you want your Fitbit exercise, steps, stats, etc. to appear in your MFP newsfeed, post a status update.

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings If you don't, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level.