How much water to drink to stop migraines/ EIH?

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
Hi everyone

So I am started to get into the gym. I worked out with my PT yesterday and it was a toughy. I was shaking during the session that my PT noticed and asked if I wanted my water. I swig from my water bottle throughtout our sessions. I had drunk water before and after. But I still got a migraine after the workout. I don't want to be put off exercise, but it is killing me to know that after a session I am likely to get EIH or worse, migraine.

So my question is this... how much water should I be drinking before during and after exercise. Is there a formula? What else could I be doing. I sometimes drink a weak squash with a pinch of salt, but that didn't work yesterday either. Should I drink something like that during exercise?

Any tips or advice much appreciated :-)
Thanks

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It will be a very personal thing so you will just need to experiment
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are shaking during your session maybe it's just too intense for you with your current level of fitness?

If it's dehydration (I used to have post exercise migraines from long & intense exercise and increasing water was enough to fix the issue for me) then colour of urine and frequency of urination is your best guide rather than a specified amount.

Another possibility is electrolytes - maybe worth experimenting with a sports drink or hydration tablets such as these....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/high-5/zero-hydration-tablets-ec024272
  • Lola2248
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are shaking during your session maybe it's just too intense for you with your current level of fitness?

If it's dehydration (I used to have post exercise migraines from long & intense exercise and increasing water was enough to fix the issue for me) then colour of urine and frequency of urination is your best guide rather than a specified amount.

Another possibility is electrolytes - maybe worth experimenting with a sports drink or hydration tablets such as these....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/high-5/zero-hydration-tablets-ec024272

I wonder if it is too intense, and often pick up the weight and look at my PT as if to say - are you serious! But she has faith I can lift these weights, and I am getting stronger. But I do wonder myself.

I will take a look at the hydration drinks/ tablets. I am enjoying getting stronger and fitter so want to push through this. But writing off a few nights a week because of exercise migraines is not good...
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Migraine? Or bad headache? There is a huge difference.
    If your weight lifting is giving you migranes then perhaps may have pinched a nerve in your neck
  • Lola2248
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Migraine? Or bad headache? There is a huge difference.
    If your weight lifting is giving you migranes then perhaps may have pinched a nerve in your neck

Migraine. I have suffered with them for years, and only call a migraine a migraine. A bad headache is bad enough. A Migraine is excruciating.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I got them when I first started running and found that the post exercise nutrition was important. I think I narrowed it down to post workout blood sugar drop + dehydration. If I drink at least 16 oz of water and have some carbs (granola bar or 2-3 oz of juice) and then some protein (protein shake or cottage cheese) I don't get a headache. Good luck - took lots of experimentation for me.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I have chronic migraines and have been getting botox for treatment (after using every med on earth) but I still sometimes get one or two break through especially around my period. I make sure I drink water consistently throughout the day before my workout, during I'll swig water sporadically and then after my workout I refill my bottle and sit in the sauna for 5-10 minutes and finish another bottle in there. A full 2-3 glasses every night with dinner as well. I down about half my body weight in oz. over the course of the day.

Also, before your workout try having a cup of coffee. It does wonders for me! Good luck :smiley:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Enough water to stop the migraine.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could have to do with electrolytes as someone else said. I typically drink 12 cups of water throughout the day, and still whenever I work out I get the shakes (and later on a headache if I don't "feed my brain" as my partner says haha). Try drinking Gatorade throughout your work out to replenish your body of what it's losing.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you drink water an hour before you exercise, it may not be processed by your body that quickly.

I have/had migraines as well. Consider whether specific exercises may be inducing them also. For me, my weakness is shoulders. Any exercise for my shoulders can give me an instant headache. I have to lower my weight and pay close attention to form. I also can't do sit ups and crunches because they put stress on my neck. I find alternatives.

I hope your headaches get better! It is so hard to stay motivated when you're in pain. Good luck!
  • Lola2248
    Options
    I have chronic migraines and have been getting botox for treatment (after using every med on earth) but I still sometimes get one or two break through especially around my period. I make sure I drink water consistently throughout the day before my workout, during I'll swig water sporadically and then after my workout I refill my bottle and sit in the sauna for 5-10 minutes and finish another bottle in there. A full 2-3 glasses every night with dinner as well. I down about half my body weight in oz. over the course of the day.

Also, before your workout try having a cup of coffee. It does wonders for me! Good luck :smiley:

Yes I think the key is hydration. I have increased the amount of water I drink by an extra litre a day. So hopefully that will help.

And I have heard this about coffee too. I will try that from now on. Thanks! :smiley:
  • Lola2248
    Options
    toriraeh wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you drink water an hour before you exercise, it may not be processed by your body that quickly.

I have/had migraines as well. Consider whether specific exercises may be inducing them also. For me, my weakness is shoulders. Any exercise for my shoulders can give me an instant headache. I have to lower my weight and pay close attention to form. I also can't do sit ups and crunches because they put stress on my neck. I find alternatives.

I hope your headaches get better! It is so hard to stay motivated when you're in pain. Good luck!

That's very interesting. The two worst migraines I had after my PT sessions was after some heavy shoulder work I was doing. I will have to think about that one. Thanks for the information!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Migraines are very personal so what works for one doesnt alwaus work for another.

What type of migraines do you get?
    Are you on any medication?

Caffeine can be one of the trigger factors and its usually a combination of your known trigger factors that lead to a migraine, so the strategy is to control those factors.

Hydration might be one so you should be drinking enough before you even get to the gym because you are after warning off starting the distant symtoms. I cna tell 12+ hours before whether something will develop.

Stress can also be a trigger.

The one that id be most interested in is to make sure id eaten properly so that I was fueled for the workout and my blood sugars were stable.

Read this aricle.

http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-exercise-and-migraine-10714
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Oh to answer the question I think I just drink more water overall and stay hydrated. I go by colour of urine as well as probably taking regular fluids on board according to thirst, which cna be c 1/2l per hour or more if im sweating. They key would be to take some before you get there and then sips at regular intervals.
  • Lola2248
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Migraines are very personal so what works for one doesnt alwaus work for another.

What type of migraines do you get?
    Are you on any medication?

Caffeine can be one of the trigger factors and its usually a combination of your known trigger factors that lead to a migraine, so the strategy is to control those factors.

Hydration might be one so you should be drinking enough before you even get to the gym because you are after warning off starting the distant symtoms. I cna tell 12+ hours before whether something will develop.

Stress can also be a trigger.

The one that id be most interested in is to make sure id eaten properly so that I was fueled for the workout and my blood sugars were stable.

Read this aricle.

http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-exercise-and-migraine-10714

thanks for the link. Yes my triggers are alcohol, so I don't drink, strong cheese, Bananas, yoghurt, eggs, some food colourings. Coffee doesn't trigger a migraine for me, but I can not drink it in the middle of an attack.

I do think it could be hydration and sugar levels, so have bought lunch and also a snack to eat around 4 as my gym session is at 5.30 tonight. and I have my dinner cooked for tonight already, so I can get some calories back in me after, to keep my sugar level up.

Have you found your migraines have got less as you have got fitter?

• stephakay
    stephakay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested to find out what does work for you! I have the same problem, and it seems that any workout that produces results also puts too much stress on my body, almost always leading to a migraine and a ruined day. This happens any time I run more than a couple miles, do upper body exercises, or do anything simple in the sun. I feel for you! It seems nutrition and hydration help, but as said in other posts, it's so individual and frustrating to figure out!
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with the personal experience and experimenting. I find if I don't get enough water the day before, I get headaches working out or even muscle soreness. I need about 80 ounces.