Periods and working out (girls only)

Options
alexistexas33
alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
I have been on Lo-Lostergen FE since I was 17 (so almost 4-5 years now) and I began working out in January. I started on the pill because I wasn't getting my period-I was only getting it maybe once every 6 months. So whatever I go on the pill and it was never regular but there were times I wouldn't get it for a few months, then every month, ect.
So I began working out and the weight had been coming right off. I have been bleeding every 15 days since I began working out. Right on the nose. Recently I have backed off of my workouts, I started only going 3 days a week rather than 5 (I run on the elliptical) and for the first time in almost 6 months I finally had one that was after 28 days.
Should I continue to back off of working out? I am close to 45 pounds lost in almost 18 weeks. I know I should 'see my doctor' but he wants to hook me up to a machine that puts me to sleep and go in with a camera-the last time I went in he wanted a coloscopy or however you spell it just 'to make sure'

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have been on Lo-Lostergen FE since I was 17 (so almost 4-5 years now) and I began working out in January. I started on the pill because I wasn't getting my period-I was only getting it maybe once every 6 months. So whatever I go on the pill and it was never regular but there were times I wouldn't get it for a few months, then every month, ect.
    So I began working out and the weight had been coming right off. I have been bleeding every 15 days since I began working out. Right on the nose. Recently I have backed off of my workouts, I started only going 3 days a week rather than 5 (I run on the elliptical) and for the first time in almost 6 months I finally had one that was after 28 days.
    Should I continue to back off of working out? I am close to 45 pounds lost in almost 18 weeks. I know I should 'see my doctor' but he wants to hook me up to a machine that puts me to sleep and go in with a camera-the last time I went in he wanted a coloscopy or however you spell it just 'to make sure'

If that's where you're bleeding from, you're not doing your period right.
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Really sounds like you should go to your Doctor, if not him then ask for another doctor but if he wants to go in with a camera and do a colonoscopy then something can really be wrong. But, if you think he doesn't know, then go to a different doctor or maybe your gyno to see what they can do.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Could you have PCOS or endometriosis? I would go back to the doctor, maybe try a different birth control. Your body changes, the pill doesn't, sometimes you need to switch it up.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My daughter had the same issue, seems like she was on her period every 15 days. It also took awhile to find the right pill that worked for her. but she didn't work out at all. she's the same age as you. tho I am confused how the colon is related to your period. esp since you are so young. maybe you are under a lot of stress?
  • kissmez
    kissmez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe you *should* see your doctor. It's better to do that and bring your concerns to him than to a forum. Maybe it's time to review your medications and find out why the big change... It's like diabetics who take insulin daily, and then lose a bunch of weight and suddenly don't need injections.

Go to the doctor; I'm not sure why you think he would be sending you for a colonoscopy (up your rectum) if it's a reproductive concern.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My cycle was completely crazy for a long time. I wouldn't have it for like a year, then I'd get it for a month or two. I went to the Dr and she did blood-work and sent me for an internal ultrasound. I don't understand what your Dr would do by putting you to sleep and going in with a camera, or why you would need a colonoscopy. I suggest getting a new Dr and getting checked out. I ended up having PCOS, which can make getting pregnant difficult, and cause high risk pregnancies. This isn't something you should wait to figure out. If something is happening, figure it out and get it under control asap to avoid further complications. So I strongly advise a new Dr, a gynecologist, not just a primary Dr that you see when you're sick.
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

:disappointed:
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Totally get that this is scary... and I really mean that I understand ( I am deathly afraid of doctors, specifically dentists but I've had to bring my mother along with me to OBGYN appointments as a grown woman because I will get up and run out of the waiting room if they take too long to come get me...)

Go to the Doctor.... this isn't normal and the pill isn't working correctly for you any longer... They started me on the pill at 14 and I had to change pills about every 2 years as they just stopped working for me.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can do some odd things to your period. There's hundreds of articles online about it, and I'm sure your doctor would comment something similar. Especially since your weight loss has been so quick (not unhealthily so, but definitely quick!)
    I know I personally am dealing with cycle problems. I have PCOS and just recently wen to my Gyno, to make sure everything was normal, and she said pretty much what I thought she would. It's normal hormonal changes due to weight loss. I would definitely talk to a gynecologist, just to be sure, but decline a colonoscopy... There is 0 reason for that, unless other options have been looked at.

Good luck and congrats on your success
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Seriously?? come on... go find another thread to play around in...
  • joeykay818
    joeykay818 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your body sounds as if it is completely off . Losing weight rapidly will do that. Fat holds estrogen, you've lost a lot of that, so yeah your hormones could be in flux. But your current form of birth control could be adding to the problem. There are many reasons for you to be experiencing this, and it sounds as if you do not trust your doctor. In any case find a gyno, maybe a woman if it makes you more comfortable, and get some tests and advice. You need to take care of your reproductive health, especailly if children are in your the future. Please see an expert.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor wants to do a COLPOSCOPY (http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/colposcopy/basics/definition/prc-20014027). That would make sense based on the symptoms you're describing. You should not have to be hooked to a machine and put to sleep, though. Ask more questions about that. Also, if you have abnormal bleeding, it's best to have it looked into by a medical professional. It could be nothing, it could be something serious that you're being given the opportunity to catch early.

Also, usually the more a woman exercises, the less likely she is to have periods. Amenorrhea (or lack of a period) is fairly common in female athletes and fitness professionals. I don't think I've heard of more exercise causing additional periods. But, I suppose anything is possible - bodies are weird.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. But, truth, you need to go to the doctor.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you should stay at 3 days a week and see if you can have a consistent period for the next month or two then see what your doctor has to say. Maybe even lighten the intensity that you work out. For me a drastic change in diet and/or exercise can make my period fluctuate even on BC. In any case, healthy weight loss like you've had should improve hormone levels thus more consistent period unless there's another underlying cause. Hope this helps!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is a doctor-question and not a regular (sorry) ladies question!

I don't know how much (if any) weight you should lose, but 45 pounds in 18 weeks is a lot, you have had a large calorie deficit, meaning - you have eaten very little and worked out very hard, and that may be a lot of strain on your body. Your body has ways to let you know that. Changes in periods is one.

I don't really get why your doctor would send you to colonoscopy for irregular periods, and you should really be able to discuss alternatives with your doctor and opt out of anything you aren't comfortable with - but if you are sedated through the procedure, what's the problem?

It sounds to me like there is more going on here?
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Could your doctor have wanted to do a COLPOSCOPY, not a colonoscopy? He may suspect that you have uterine polyps and go in to check and remove them. They can cause all kinds of cycle issues, and lead to more serious stuff.

I actually had it done a few years ago because while I was getting a normal period, I was also spotting on and off for the week before and week after, so I basically bled 3 out of 4 weeks. They didn't find polyps, but they did a D&C to kind of "reset" everything and things have been just fine ever since.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »

Also, usually the more a woman exercises, the less likely she is to have periods. Amenorrhea (or lack of a period) is fairly common in female athletes and fitness professionals. I don't think I've heard of more exercise causing additional periods. But, I suppose anything is possible - bodies are weird.

that's what I was thinking. It usually goes the other way around. I know I pretty well don't get mine in the summer. Maybe one or two really light/hardly worth a mention ones which is probably because I run more (at least 20 - 30km a day) and I also read something about how longer daylight hours can mess with hormones in such a way as to throw off the cycle....I don't know about that, but anything is possible I suppose.

Anyhoo....to reiterate what everyone else is saying...off to the doctor with you. Just make sure you ask lots of questions. What, exactly, are you doing? Why is this necessary? etc. Might as well actually understand what's going on

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had a colposcopy with a biopsy after an irregular pap smear. No need to be put to sleep. It didn't hurt at all. I got to watch the procedure on a monitor... kinda neat seeing your cervix. And that was about 20 years ago, so I'm sure it's even easier now.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    OP's username is catchy....
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    OP's username is catchy....

I feel like I've seen it before... Stuffed in between two giant black, never mind...