Headphones/earbuds shorting out from sweat

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
What do you do about that? Do you invest in a schwanky waterproof set, or just buy $10-20 earbuds every couple of months?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I got mine from a Groupon, so slightly schwanky but a great deal and although my ear sweat is definitely gross, they have never shorted.

They're these but an older (and hot pink) version: http://www.jbl.com/on-sale-headphones/FOCUS+200.html?dwvar_FOCUS 200_color=Black&cgid=on-sale-headphones#start=1
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I shorted out my phone screen with sweat so stopped running with tunes after $125 repair. Ziplock baggy protects it when I must have phone with me. Still using same phones though.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've never had a pair short out from sweat but my cat loves to chew on earbud cords and manages to wrestle one about once a month. I buy the Philips earbuds at Target for $15 and they suit me just fine.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't get on with in ear headphones so haven't experienced this problem so much.

I rotate a couple of sets of mid price over ear headphones and it has never been a problem. I have my eyes on this for the lulz though:

runnersneed.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=7873
  • tomatoey
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I got mine from a Groupon, so slightly schwanky but a great deal and although my ear sweat is definitely gross, they have never shorted.

They're these but an older (and hot pink) version: http://www.jbl.com/on-sale-headphones/FOCUS+200.html?dwvar_FOCUS 200_color=Black&cgid=on-sale-headphones#start=1

Woot! "Sweatproof", even! Nice :) They're reasonably priced too! (Totally lied to by the guy at the tech store, who said only this one $99 pair was waterproof!) Thanks :)

I thought I could get by with really cheap ones from the Dollarama but there is NO bass at all - just screeching, no matter what's playing. I had to chuck them after like ten minutes
  • tomatoey
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I don't get on with in ear headphones so haven't experienced this problem so much.

I rotate a couple of sets of mid price over ear headphones and it has never been a problem. I have my eyes on this for the lulz though:

runnersneed.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=7873

Ha! Nice :) Good strategy, thanks :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I've never had a pair short out from sweat but my cat loves to chew on earbud cords and manages to wrestle one about once a month. I buy the Philips earbuds at Target for $15 and they suit me just fine.

Maybe I have unusually sweaty ears. Gross. Sorry.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Woot! "Sweatproof", even! Nice :) They're reasonably priced too! (Totally lied to by the guy at the tech store, who said only this one $99 pair was waterproof!) Thanks :)

I thought I could get by with really cheap ones from the Dollarama but there is NO bass at all - just screeching, no matter what's playing. I had to chuck them after like ten minutes

Yeah I really like the over-ear type because regular ones fall out of my ears unless I really jam them in which isn't cool lol. They also sound really nice although of course I always want more bass from teeny tiny mics :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem, but if you do then you should invest in a pair that are designed for ym work or use larger size on ear ones. Yurbuds, sennheiser cx685i theres loads, just look at the reviews. i dont have sweaty ears, so dont have the problem.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like the Motorola bluetooth headphones. Right now I am on the S11-HD, no cords to tangle, five hour playtime, over the ear so they don't fall off. They also don't seal so at lower volumes I can still hear what is around me. If a call rings I can answer and talk through them too. I can skip, pause or replay a song if needed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My jaybirds have a "sweat warranty".
  • tomatoey
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Never had that problem, but if you do then you should invest in a pair that are designed for ym work or use larger size on ear ones. Yurbuds, sennheiser cx685i theres loads, just look at the reviews. i dont have sweaty ears, so dont have the problem.

Haha, ok - you don't have this problem :) Thanks for the tips :)

Yeah I really like the over-ear type because regular ones fall out of my ears unless I really jam them in which isn't cool lol. They also sound really nice although of course I always want more bass from teeny tiny mics :)

That is such a good point. I think maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe the jammed-in buds are creating a groove for sweat to run down. Yes, more bass always!
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like the Motorola bluetooth headphones. Right now I am on the S11-HD, no cords to tangle, five hour playtime, over the ear so they don't fall off. They also don't seal so at lower volumes I can still hear what is around me. If a call rings I can answer and talk through them too. I can skip, pause or replay a song if needed.

No cords would be sweet. Thanks for the rec!
    My jaybirds have a "sweat warranty".

That sounds like just what I need :) Thanks!
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Dodnt ralise id repeated it. It was more just a surprise that people sweat there. Theres also earbuds designed for swimming, so you cna wash them out. I also want sound isolation from my phones as well as what sofa said about not having them fall out.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-exercise-headphones/

http://www.whathifi.com/news/5-best-sports-headphones-under-ps50

http://www.mensfitness.com/styleandgrooming/fashion/best-workout-headphones
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Dodnt ralise id repeated it. It was more just a surprise that people sweat there. Theres also earbuds designed for swimming, so you cna wash them out. I also want sound isolation from my phones as well as what sofa said about not having them fall out.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-exercise-headphones/

http://www.whathifi.com/news/5-best-sports-headphones-under-ps50

http://www.mensfitness.com/styleandgrooming/fashion/best-workout-headphones

These are great resources, thank you :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    What do you do about that? Do you invest in a schwanky waterproof set, or just buy $10-20 earbuds every couple of months?
    I have this problem. I resolved it with the bluetooth wireless yurbuds you can find over at REI. Very much worth the investment.

Nice - thank you!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Dodnt ralise id repeated it. It was more just a surprise that people sweat there.
    Only if you are putting in real work. Which is why a lot of people are surprised by sweat there.

Some people just don't sweat as much, though
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Or it may have something to do with variations in ear anatomy
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Dodnt ralise id repeated it. It was more just a surprise that people sweat there.
    Only if you are putting in real work. Which is why a lot of people are surprised by sweat there.

Nope I put in real work and i sweat, just never had the problem from there. Sweat isnt an altogether reliable method of judging whether you are working hard or not.

If you cna find the model you want then id use ebay.
  • tomatoey
    Options

If you cna find the model you want then id use ebay.

Good call!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options

Maybe I have unusually sweaty ears. Gross. Sorry.

I'm with ya! I had this exact problem a few months ago and I asked the question on another thread. I ended up with JBL's as well. So far so good. They stay in my ears MUCH better than my Apple ones and they were only like $20.00. I sweat a lot and these are working well. I'll see if I can find exactly which ones I bought...