Heart rate - Can you push it too high on cardio machines?

Options
Throwing a little question out there - I know they say 'no pain no gain' but is there such a thing has pushing yourself too hard. I did the step machine for my longest time ever (only 20 mins) at the highest speed I could possibly push myself to, and my heart was up at 174, I finished slightly faint, sweating buckets, and despite drinking lots throughout and for hours after, went to bed with what felt like heat stroke.. Is this a good stretch for my body - or could I be damaging it? My BMI is 24 but I have only been exercising intensely for a month now so I am still very unfit (according to my heart), but my body has really gained strength. Opinions please!

Replies

• Miss_Z_87
    Miss_Z_87 Posts: 50
    Options
    A good reference to work out your target HR is 220 minus your age.
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    I can hardly push it beyond 180. I am 30 and I try to run really fast, it never gets over 180, even uphill!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi Pollypoos - check out these links
    http://www.doctorslounge.com/cardiology/forums/backup/topic-28963.html

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-398554.html
    "Safe? Well, it's probably safe.
    Useful? Not really.
    If you are looking to improve your aerobic fitness - especially when you're starting out - then spending a lot of time in your anaerobic zone isn't particularly effective. If you have low fitness, however, you will get better while doing it. Just not as fast or as easily if you work out easier and perhaps a bit longer.
    Being dizzy is a sign that you are working out too hard, as is feeling lung weirdness when you're done.
    If you keep doing this, you will plateau and find it hard to improve.
    More information here:
    http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx/archive/2008/02/25/faster-5-specificity.aspx"
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    This is one of those things I just cant get my head around because I have a really low resting heart rate (58-60bpm) but as soon as I start ANY cardio work it shoots upto 170-180. Now I must admit, my 180bpm is getting more comfortabe and I can now push myself to 190-195 and run at that quite comfortably for about 3-4km before I feel buggered and need to walk for 30 secs before going again. It is also getting really hard to burn any where near the same amount of calories as when I first started 4 months ago :(

If I ws to train in a zone of 127-171 which is suggested for me - I would have to walk!! Now you can get all scientific and say yes you will burn more fat in some zones blah blah blah - you wont burn fat the full time unfortunately! Interval training or HIIT is the best fat burner as it speeds up your metabolism but I personally think the higher your heart rate, the more calories your gonna burn. Just be aware of what is going on in your body - listen to pains and aches, STOP if you get chest pain that feels different to normal exertion and also if you get lightheaded slow down.

Make sure you get good nutrition, LOADS of water and electrolyte replacements if exercising heavy for 1 hr plus, lots of sleep and enjoy it! Since Jan I have gone from couch potato to fitness freak and I love it!

Good luck, hope this helped??

Karen
  • aussie_girl62
    Options
    I am NOT an expert but when undertaking a fitness plan as part of my weight loss it was pointed out to me that to burn fat you don't need to be right up there in that high heart rate zone. To know you are safe and to achieve what you want you should get an expert to test you to see which zone you would best burn fat in. If you get out of that zone (too high) you will not be doing the right thing for your body! I worked with a lady last year who "knew it all" and would go at it like a bull at a gate and didn't seem to achieve anything. However I was going for nice leisurely walks raising my heart rate just enough and lost weight gradually and consistently. The other thing is that if you go at it that hard you'll end up giving it up which won't be the result you want. I was doing a program on my Wii earlier in the year and went a bit hard - ending up straining some thing in my leg which hasn't been the same since and it has meant I haven't been able to get back to the Wii for fear of aggravating it. Not the result I am looking for!
  • pollypoos
    pollypoos Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice. I will be looking for a better balance next time I hit the gym! :0) x
  • Miss_Z_87
    Miss_Z_87 Posts: 50
    Options
    With regards to KarenLouise's post above, I studied Exercise Science for 2 years and was taught that your body requires at least 30 mins of oxygen to burn fat (fat requires oxygen to burn) this is the theory behine the the 'low intensity/ fat burning zone'. I agree that HIT training is an effective measure for burning fat (especially resistance circuits) as your body is expending heaps of energy, but also uses a different energy system (different from oxidative system/ fat burning zone).

A little bit off topic - but my advice is to mix your training up and try a different stimulus, try avoid doing the same type of activity for a long period of time. When this happens your body reaches a plateu and therefore your body wont change or gains wont be made.