losing 35lbs

Options
i would like to know how fast could I lose 35lbs in a reasonable time frame. I would like to get my bmi to a 32 or 33%. I am 215lbs I don't have much time to workout right now but I will, starting the last week in june. I really want to tackle a 1500 calorie diet plan and see how that works for me. I am 5'2 or 62 in''. I need help with trying to balance a healthy diet and trying to fit in some exercises until I am able to start working out 5 days a week. I do not have any medical problems or anything like going on with me. if you can help please reply. also I am trying to lose this weight to join the navy, that's the branch I want to go into for personal reasons. thank you

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Fastest recommended healthy weight loss is 2lbs/week (which you'd be fine to aim for at your weight), so in theory you could lose 35lbs in about 17 weeks. Just bear in mind that theory doesn't always translate perfectly to reality so it may take longer than that.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    6 months is reasonable, and not overly aggressive.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    6 months is reasonable, and not overly aggressive.

Agree.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Well, for comparison, I'm also 5'2 and started out at 211.6 lbs. It took me 21 weeks. Basically, 5 1/2 months. So the above advice of 6 months is pretty good.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31lbs in 15 1/2 weeks. My starting weight was 196lbs and I'm 5'4.
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Losing weight to join the military is a great goal. 40+ years ago I had to lose 75 pounds to join the military.
    I would suggest that your goal of joining the Navy is the goal although there is a number attached to your primary goal.

By the way, I lost the 75 pounds and spent 8+ years in the US Army and spent half of that time with the Navy.

You go girl, go Navy!
  • lgermain28
    lgermain28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    I have lost 31lbs in 15 1/2 weeks. My starting weight was 196lbs and I'm 5'4.

Congrats on your weight loss ! How exciting , can you share how you accomplished this ? Thanks !
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have lost 70lbs in a little over 5 months. I was 253lbs at 4'11" on Jan 4th.

It just fell off at first but it has slowed down a lot now. I'm about halfway.

The first 35lbs took exactly 12 weeks.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    It took me 4+ months, but I'm 4" taller and started 15 pounds lighter. I would not put a time frame on it--instead, focus on weighing and logging your foods and the weight will come off without the added stress. The primary driver of your weight loss is going to be how much you eat, whether or not you have time to work out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i would like to know how fast could I lose 35lbs in a reasonable time frame. I would like to get my bmi to a 32 or 33%. I am 215lbs I don't have much time to workout right now but I will, starting the last week in june. I really want to tackle a 1500 calorie diet plan and see how that works for me. I am 5'2 or 62 in''. I need help with trying to balance a healthy diet and trying to fit in some exercises until I am able to start working out 5 days a week. I do not have any medical problems or anything like going on with me. if you can help please reply. also I am trying to lose this weight to join the navy, that's the branch I want to go into for personal reasons. thank you

You've had a lot of advice here however just a quick one on the terms you're using

BMI is a calculation based on weight vs height - it isn't a %age but an index used for populations where health risks are minimised within the 20-25 band

You are talking about percentages of 32 or 33%, do you mean Body Fat % as that seems quite high for acceptance into the military for a woman. Have you confirmed that? (I don't know.. I'm no doubt wrong here and it's just a gut reaction)