Fit moms with busy life schedule

Options
jengir87
jengir87 Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
I would love to hear from all the beautiful fit mommies that have had success stories. I started at 181 and now I'm down to 162. Have lost several inches off my waist, hips, and legs . I want to continue being a Fit mom and live a healthy life style although it gets tough with work, school, my two girls and everything else going on around me. How do you ladies manage to not give up? What strategies did you guys use to push for motivation?

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    How? Well, I've been doing this for a year (lost 58lb so far) and really the only answer is to make it a priority in your life just like all the things you listed (I'm a mom of 3 elementary school aged kids and I work two jobs )
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! That's AWESOME!!!

For me, these are the biggest things that keep me going:

1) Having a deep-seated, solid "why". I would remember why I started this whole journey in the first place and how different things are this time around than in the past when I tried to "get healthy" simply to "lose weight". Having an emotional connection to my goal has been HUGE!

WHY do I want to get this weight off? WHAT is going on in my life/has gone on in my life that has held me back from losing weight in the past. HOW will my life be different when I'm at my goal. WHO will it impact other than myself? How will it FEEL to be at my goal? What will happen if I DON'T take control of my health now?

Really digging deep and having a strong emotional attachment to my goal was the #1 way I stay motivated to lose 100lbs. When you find that why, write it down and make it the first thing you think about every morning and keep it on a piece of paper to look at before every meal and every workout.

2) Understanding that, when it comes to goal achievement, consistency trumps motivation every time. Motivation comes and goes constantly but I remind myself on days when I truly can't see the forest for the trees that as long as I stay consistent (consistent in my workouts and consistent in my eating) that my goals WILL happen. Even if they don't happen quicker than I'd like, as long as I stayed consistent in picking myself up when I get knocked down or even just going through the motions will compound over time and I won't regret it. Does that make sense?

3) Create layers and layers of support and accountability. I check in to MULTIPLE places DAILY with not just my fitness but also my food. This includes MFP, several Facebook challenges that I run, my own Facebook page, like page, Instagram and even Twitter. Doing that ensures that if I DON'T check in, someone out there is going to ask what's going on. I also have several friends and my coach who check in on me if they don't hear from in a few days.

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work full time, am married and the mother of a four year old. I would never be able to "find the time" to exercise and keep up with MFP - I have to make time. Keeping a healthy lifestyle and figure is a really high priority for me. I get my exercise in by doing things I enjoy; or incorporate exercise with family time. I don't feel guilty about taking care of myself. Workouts are an emotional outlet for me and I feel so positive afterwards that I really believe it makes me a better wife and mom.

I also agree, consistency is the key! We all have odd days where we overeat or give in to temptation to skip a workout, but the next day I get back to my routine without dwelling or feeling like I failed. I worked really hard to get to where I am now though; the thought of gaining weight and having to lose it again is all the motivation I need to keep going.

Just remember, it's what you do most of the time that matters. :)

• jengir87
    jengir87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ladies I want to thank all three of you for your response. All your words are very motivational and touch makes me think a lot about where my goals are at and how much I'm will to do to achieve them. I want to get back to my prepregnancy weight and in 12 pounds away but after I reach that goal I would love to be back at my weight before o had my first daughter. I do eat very healthy I just feel like maybe I'm not eating enough to fuel my body with the workouts I do. I do cheat once or twic a week but he. Go right back to my eating healthy. Have any of you ladies ever tried carb cycling? Did it work for you?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you've acomplished so far! To me, it's very important to find a gym with childcare, so I can have a break to focus working out. But the most important thing is to be flexible! So I work out at the gym, at home, and outside/parks. I try to do something everyday but life happens so most of the time. I haven't done carb cycling, I have enough going on. I eat what/when I want to :) Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary, I eat a lot!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    brynnsmom wrote: »
    Hi! I work full time, am married and the mother of a four year old. I would never be able to "find the time" to exercise and keep up with MFP - I have to make time. Keeping a healthy lifestyle and figure is a really high priority for me. I get my exercise in by doing things I enjoy; or incorporate exercise with family time. I don't feel guilty about taking care of myself. Workouts are an emotional outlet for me and I feel so positive afterwards that I really believe it makes me a better wife and mom.

I also agree, consistency is the key! We all have odd days where we overeat or give in to temptation to skip a workout, but the next day I get back to my routine without dwelling or feeling like I failed. I worked really hard to get to where I am now though; the thought of gaining weight and having to lose it again is all the motivation I need to keep going.

Just remember, it's what you do most of the time that matters. :)

I agree with all that's is said above...

I have a 5yr old., help taking care of aging mom and help my sister (recently widowed) with her 2 girls and work full time.
    My husband is super supportive, encouraging and also started to live more healthy ( he lost 40lbs).
    I've lost 50 lbs and looking to lose another 20lbs.
    Best advice keep track of what foods and situations work for you. I keep track of foods that don't fill me up or make me feel gross. I've learned not to like them.
    Pay attention to what excuses you have not to workout and try to work on what you can change about it.
    More importantly remember you can do it!!