Why would it not count?

Options
I need counsel, please. I cannot run or jog normally; never could because of double joints in my ankles. As a work-around, I have added jogging in place or back and forth in my house. If it's going to happen, I'd rather fall on my carpet than on concrete. I am up to 5 minutes a session and add this to my daily walking.

Someone told me that doing this, "...does not count. You cannot log it as jogging." because I am not pulling myself along and I am wasting energy on something that will not help me get in shape.

I call bull honky on this opinion. I raise my heart-rate considerably and I work up a sweat during each session.
What say you?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Oh it counts as exercise! I believe MFP has an exercise entry called "Jogging in place". You can see how that calorie burns compare to that of regular jogging. I'm not sure what the difference is. I would think that if you're counting it as "walking" in the MFP database, you're being conservative.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I say keep it up and if you are not losing at your expected rate over time, adjust accordingly.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I say it counts as fitness, getting heart healthy but I wouldn't add any calorie burns to mfp.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Someone is always going to tell you that you're not doing it right, just have to remember it's just their opinion, if you're getting the results you want stick with it.
  • brandlefly
    brandlefly Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the constructive opinions, everyone. I really do appreciate it.
    Someone is always going to tell you that you're not doing it right, just have to remember it's just their opinion, if you're getting the results you want stick with it.

That is the truth. I have found a lot of judgement here and rarely use the forums now. There are good people all around us.

I contacted a personal trainer at a local gym and this is what she told me:

"It absolutely counts! The amount of calories you burn, which counts toward your fat burn, while jogging in place, depends on your body mass, intensity and speed while jogging in place. Jogging in place burns 400 to 600 calories per hour. If you slow down to rest and catch your breath a lot, your calorie burn will be lower. However, if you stay at a consistent pace throughout your session, you'll burn more calories.

This also strengthens your joints, muscles and increases blood flow. There are many benefits to jogging in place; even walking sessions around the home, and it should not ever be discouraged."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    brandlefly wrote: »
    Someone told me that doing this, "...does not count. You cannot log it as jogging." because I am not pulling myself along and I am wasting energy on something that will not help me get in shape.

It rather depends what you're expecting from it, and what prompted the comment.

Yes it's beneficial, but it's not running and you can't really compare it. The metabolic equivalent value of running in place is significantly lower than running, so as suggested log it as running in place.

As far as the effect is concerned, as you continue you should see your endurance increase, so that you can do it for longer. That's an indicator of improved fitness.

We all have limitations on what we can do, anything that we can do to work within those limitations, or push their boundaries, helps us.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I need counsel, please. I cannot run or jog normally; never could because of double joints in my ankles. As a work-around, I have added jogging in place or back and forth in my house. If it's going to happen, I'd rather fall on my carpet than on concrete. I am up to 5 minutes a session and add this to my daily walking.

I call bull honky on this opinion. I raise my heart-rate considerably and I work up a sweat during each session.
    What say you?

First of all, it counts!

Have you considered finding a pool and doing some water jogging? There are different ways to do it but all are great for joints as well as working against the resistance of the water, and if you fall you have a wet but soft landing. Some will wear a flotation belt and actually jog in deep water where their feet never touch the bottom. That is especially good if you have joint issues.

• SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    because of double joints in my ankles
    What does this mean?

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Water jogging is amazing exercise! I second this idea!

And if people look down on you for not burning mega amounts of calories like they do, just remember that you are *miles* ahead of all of those that are just sittin' on the couch. :)
  • brandlefly
    Options
    SallyinIL wrote: »
    What does this mean?

It is a form of "Hypermobility". Some suffer terribly from this and have deformities all the way up to the inability to walk. For me, I am lucky. When I run on pavement or at a good pace, one or both of my ankles will make a popping noise, similar to cracking your knuckles (the sound is actually gas being released from the joint), and my joint collapses causing me to fall.
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What does this mean?

It is a form of "Hypermobility". Some suffer terribly from this and have deformities all the way up to the inability to walk. For me, I am lucky. When I run on pavement or at a good pace, one or both of my ankles will make a popping noise, similar to cracking your knuckles (the sound is actually gas being released from the joint), and my joint collapses causing me to fall.
    Thank you for explaining.
  • brandlefly
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    First of all, it counts!

Have you considered finding a pool and doing some water jogging? There are different ways to do it but all are great for joints as well as working against the resistance of the water, and if you fall you have a wet but soft landing. Some will wear a flotation belt and actually jog in deep water where their feet never touch the bottom. That is especially good if you have joint issues.

I do have a swimming pool and it is wonderful for non-impact exercising. I highly recommend it. However, I am a busy person and do not have time to jump in much. Doing these 5 minute jogs up to 6x per day, has been good for me. I do not count my exercise calories. I stick to my daily given value. So, that is not an issue.

It is SO self motivating to look at your day and see what you've achieved. As I said above in a new comment, the personal trainer I spoke with a while ago, was an amazing help and I feel really good again about what I am doing.
  • brandlefly
    Options
    Thank you for explaining.

You are most welcome. And thank you for showing interest. You've learned something today! :)

• brandlefly
    Options
    Water jogging is amazing exercise! I second this idea!

And if people look down on you for not burning mega amounts of calories like they do, just remember that you are *miles* ahead of all of those that are just sittin' on the couch. :)

I say that all the time! My Mother used to say it to us and it stuck. Thank you for your kindness.