Diatomaceous Earth

Options
RaidenK
RaidenK Posts: 4 Member
Does anyone take food grade diatomaceous earth? Have you noticed any benefits from it? I know someone who has been taking it for a couple years with great benefits. I'm just looking for more opinions/experiences with it before I make my decision.

I'd like to add that I would not use it to lose weight, but to aid in digestion and for the benefits it could give me, like better hair, nails, and better nutrient absorption, etc...

If you have never taken or researched this please do not bother to comment negatively. I'm not looking to be attacked here by people spouting opinions that are formed with no actual knowledge of the product. I do know what it is and how it works. I'm looking for personal experiences, good or bad.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It kills bed bugs pretty well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RaidenK wrote: »
    Does anyone take food grade diatomaceous earth? Have you noticed any benefits from it? I know someone who has been taking it for a couple years with great benefits. I'm just looking for more opinions/experiences with it before I make my decision.

I'd like to add that I would not use it to lose weight, but to aid in digestion and for the benefits it could give me, like better hair, nails, and better nutrient absorption, etc...

If you have never taken or researched this please do not bother to comment negatively. I'm not looking to be attacked here by people spouting opinions that are formed with no actual knowledge of the product. I do know what it is and how it works. I'm looking for personal experiences, good or bad .
    This is an open forum, people can comment if they want. :)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    eat pharmaceutical grade bentonite if you feel like eating dirt...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow, a bug killer that you can eat?!?! I gotta google this, hold on...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

and fleas. Though it ruined my vacuum in the process sigh....

OP, I've never eaten it, though I know some people add it to their smoothies and such. I did a lot of reading on it back when my indoor cats developed a flea problem, and from everything I read as long as it's the food grade kind (which you can get pretty cheap on Amazon), it's pretty harmless. I don't know if it actually does anything beneficial for humans though.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    i'm an arthropod and I had adverse effects taking this... DO NOT USE!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I think I ate dirt as a child, not really sure.

What is the benefit of eating dirt? How does it aid digestion or do the other things you mentioned?

I eat gelatine (Jello) every day it it seems to do a lot for my nails.

How many calories in a gram of dirt?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my son worked in a hardware store and they were required to wear masks(like doctors do) to prevent the dust from getting into their lungs due to the fact that it can cause microscopic cuts in your lungs. which can be bad,so I font think i would want to ingest it either.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    my son worked in a hardware store and they were required to wear masks(like doctors do) to prevent the dust from getting into their lungs due to the fact that it can cause microscopic cuts in your lungs. which can be bad,so I font think i would want to ingest it either.

That's not Food grade. The other kind is used in swimming pool filters and such, and yes you have to wear protective gear when handling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Chiggers too.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What will they come up with next...
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I spread it in my chicken coop and on my compost pile. I also mix it with water for my chickens every six months for de-worming. But would I eat the stuff, why? What would it do other than keep me worm free?

Rigger
  • Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love it - restored my energy levels and has killed worms I had
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think I ate dirt as a child, not really sure.

What is the benefit of eating dirt? How does it aid digestion or do the other things you mentioned?

I eat gelatine (Jello) every day it it seems to do a lot for my nails.

How many calories in a gram of dirt?

I know several people who eat it (actually mix a spoonful in a glass of water and drink it) because the silica is supposed to be beneficial to the hair (which makes it closer to sand than dirt). The results are mixed. Some say it makes their hair thicker and stronger and others said it did nothing. I haven't heard anyone claim anything about digestion.

• RaidenK
    RaidenK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not dirt, it is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. It can do many things as read here http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/resources/health-news/793-health-benefits-of-diatomaceous-earth- and there was a study done that showed it can lower cholesterol, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9533930
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's not Food grade. The other kind is used in swimming pool filters and such, and yes you have to wear protective gear when handling.
    yes,it was even food grade.

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun to play Jeopardy in these Message Boards. Read all the answers and then try to guess what the OP was. Not sure if that's even possible anymore, tho :noway:
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    its not gasoline, its just a highly refined and purified product of fossilized buried dead organisms!!
    imczude0cdhb.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Was that food grade, or the kind used with animals?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Was that food grade, or the kind used with animals?
    food grade, they had to wear it with the non food grade as well.