Diatomaceous Earth

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    RaidenK wrote: »
    Does anyone take food grade diatomaceous earth? Have you noticed any benefits from it? I know someone who has been taking it for a couple years with great benefits. I'm just looking for more opinions/experiences with it before I make my decision.

I'd like to add that I would not use it to lose weight, but to aid in digestion and for the benefits it could give me, like better hair, nails, and better nutrient absorption, etc...

If you have never taken or researched this please do not bother to comment negatively. I'm not looking to be attacked here by people spouting opinions that are formed with no actual knowledge of the product. I do know what it is and how it works. I'm looking for personal experiences, good or bad.

I have never used this product, so it looks like by your rules, OP, that I'm not allowed to comment in a negative fashion.

So while I am not an expert on diatomaceous earth, I can still comment on it because I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

holiday-inn-calgary-macleod.jpg

With that out of the way, if you decide that eating this stuff doesn't give you the awesome hair and nails that you are looking for, you can always use it to kill ants and roaches.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I spread it in my chicken coop and on my compost pile. I also mix it with water for my chickens every six months for de-worming. But would I eat the stuff, why? What would it do other than keep me worm free?

Rigger

i doubt you use food grade in your coop You won't find food grade at Tractor Supply
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed I thought this was going to be a thread about Dinosaurs
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've ordered and used it to kill bugs but hear its good to put in horses water it keeps fly's away.
  • Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Jurassic world woohoo
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I think I ate dirt as a child, not really sure.

What is the benefit of eating dirt? How does it aid digestion or do the other things you mentioned?

I eat gelatine (Jello) every day it it seems to do a lot for my nails.

How many calories in a gram of dirt?

I know several people who eat it (actually mix a spoonful in a glass of water and drink it) because the silica is supposed to be beneficial to the hair (which makes it closer to sand than dirt). The results are mixed. Some say it makes their hair thicker and stronger and others said it did nothing. I haven't heard anyone claim anything about digestion.

All they have to do is boil bones and drink the geletin rich broth or take beef geletin for hair nails wrinkles and health benefits.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my son worked in a hardware store and they were required to wear masks(like doctors do) to prevent the dust from getting into their lungs due to the fact that it can cause microscopic cuts in your lungs. which can be bad,so I font think i would want to ingest it either.

That's not Food grade. The other kind is used in swimming pool filters and such, and yes you have to wear protective gear when handling.
    yeah it was food grade. he can read labels. I think he would know the difference. the hardware store he works in was picky about knowing things about their products they sold.
    its only called food grade because it is supposedly safe to use in grains and on plants you grow and eat.

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I spread it in my chicken coop and on my compost pile. I also mix it with water for my chickens every six months for de-worming. But would I eat the stuff, why? What would it do other than keep me worm free?

Rigger

Same here. I give it to my hens every so often when their poo is looking a little runny, but there's no way I'm eating the stuff.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I think I ate dirt as a child, not really sure.

What is the benefit of eating dirt? How does it aid digestion or do the other things you mentioned?

I eat gelatine (Jello) every day it it seems to do a lot for my nails.

How many calories in a gram of dirt?

I know several people who eat it (actually mix a spoonful in a glass of water and drink it) because the silica is supposed to be beneficial to the hair (which makes it closer to sand than dirt). The results are mixed. Some say it makes their hair thicker and stronger and others said it did nothing. I haven't heard anyone claim anything about digestion.

All they have to do is boil bones and drink the geletin rich broth or take beef geletin for hair nails wrinkles and health benefits.

Gelatin provides protein. DE is supposed to provide silica. I found that eating enough protein and fat improved my hair so I won't be trying DE any day soon.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    Wow, a bug killer that you can eat?!?! I gotta google this, hold on...
    Chocolate is technically a dog killer you can eat.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used it for a couple of months. It usually took me an hour to get the gumption up to drink the stuff. Drinking that dirt milkshake was a most displeasing process :sick:

But I kept at it, and honestly, I didn't notice any difference :tired_face: I ended up using the rest of the pack on my bed and carpets. Had I noticed any positive changes I would have continued, but it just wasn't worth the yuckness factor for no noticeable difference.

One bonus however, was cleaner teeth, as I had to brush afterward to get the grit out from between my teeth.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Rigger

i doubt you use food grade in your coop You won't find food grade at Tractor Supply

Actually I do use food grade, and I buy it at Cal Ranch, they carry both, and so does IFA and Tractor Supply. I still wouldn't eat the stuff.

Rigger

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    DE is used to filter beer.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My husband, two kids and myself all take food grade DE every few days. My oldest son kept getting pinworm and the DE keeps them away. Other than parasite prevention, we haven't noticed anything.

We also sprinkle it in our chicken coop to keep fleas and mites away.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Can someone link me to where it shows it can work for either worms (pinworms) or fleas (cats)? Would be interested in sharing the info to someone who might need it! lol
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The guy at Tractor Supply scooped up a finger full & ingested it right in front of me. I originally bought it for my chickens, goats & dogs as a supplement to fend off insects & mosquitos. I'll definitely check out the pros & cons of human consumption.

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not infested with ticks, fleas, or carpet beetles, I'll take a pass.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The guy at Tractor Supply scooped up a finger full & ingested it right in front of me. I originally bought it for my chickens, goats & dogs as a supplement to fend off insects & mosquitos. I'll definitely check out the pros & cons of human consumption.

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

I dunno...Tractor Supply doesn't exactly scream "Good source for dietary information" to me.