confused

Options
So I am 19 and 5'5.5. I went to the doctor today and she told me that I weigh 123. Why do I feel so big if im at a normal weight?? I have struggled with my weight forever- ranging from 114 all the way up to 140. I always feel so big and dont know how anyone can look at me as skinny.. is this normal ???

Replies

• russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You might be flirting with an ED or have BDD...I'm a diagnosed anorexic (going through treatment) and I feel the same way. I'm a hair short of 5'7 and less than 100lbs and when people call me skinny I think they're nuts because I genuinely think I'm huge.

You should consider speaking to a therapist/psychologist to get a grip on this before it gets out of control.
  • oliviacrumley
    oliviacrumley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    do you think its that serious? My doctor had a talk with me when I was down to 114 so I raised it a bit.. I only want to lose like 4 pounds as of now...
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is very common, especially among women but it is not healthy. We are constantly being bombarded with publicity using borderline anorexic models and on top of that they are severely photo shopped. No wonder we can never measure up.

I have had similar experiences to you. I am 5'5" and at 120 thought I was fat and starved myself to lose weight. This created a very unhealthy relationship with food. I would starve/binge in a vicious circle and always during my binges would end up fatter than the last time. I reached 220 pounds that way. I think I finally found the way to stop the cycle but won't know until I reach my goal and stay there.

Please eat right, exercise, and don't let anyone make you think you are fat. If you need to, even consult a professional to deal with your body image issues. You have your whole life ahead of you and there is no time to waste on problems thatcare not really there.

Good luck. <3
  • oliviacrumley
    Options
    thank you so much!!! that is very helpful ❤️️good luck to you too
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You might be flirting with an ED or have BDD...I'm a diagnosed anorexic (going through treatment) and I feel the same way. I'm a hair short of 5'7 and less than 100lbs and when people call me skinny I think they're nuts because I genuinely think I'm huge.

You should consider speaking to a therapist/psychologist to get a grip on this before it gets out of control.

My bf who is 39 years old is going through a divorce. Last year she stopped eating. She has always been skinny. She is also 5'7" and she always weighed around 110 - 115. She dropped to 93 pounds and she looked so sick. Luckily she managed to dig herself out of it. She weighs 120 now and she looks great.
    I hope you get your situation under control. I am happy you are here at MFP. You can find some great support here.
  • oliviacrumley
    Options
    thank you so much!!! that is very helpful ❤️️good luck to you too
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am the exact same height and weight as you. I really want to emphasize that what you are feeling is literally just a feeling, it's not necessarily fact and the feeling may pass (if you learn to let it).

All I can say is that even though we may have the same height and weight, we may have completely different body compositions and if you feel like you are too "fluffy", I would suggest that you try some strength/resistence training to build some muscle and maybe lose that bit of fluffiness.

Will 119 really be that much better than 123?? The number doesn't matter, you are the only one that can see it.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and was that size when I was your age and I felt that way. I am now 35, 145 pounds and feel better than I ever did as a teen / 20-something at a much smaller size.

You will get more comfortable in your body as you get older. In the meantime, consider adopting some athletic goals so that you can appreciate what your body can DO rather than how it looks so that you can start to build a healthier foundation in which to see yourself. Best of luck!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's common. I'm 5'5 & 104, I still see myself as big. I hate it when people tell me I'm to skinny, cause I don't see it.
  • oliviacrumley
    Options
    wow 104
  • oliviacrumley
    Options
    im jealous!
  • oliviacrumley
    Options
    I am 5'5 and was that size when I was your age and I felt that way. I am now 35, 145 pounds and feel better than I ever did as a teen / 20-something at a much smaller size.

You will get more comfortable in your body as you get older. In the meantime, consider adopting some athletic goals so that you can appreciate what your body can DO rather than how it looks so that you can start to build a healthier foundation in which to see yourself. Best of luck!

I so appreciate this! Will I gain weight as I age?? that is my worst fear..
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Age doesn't cause weight gain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's common. I'm 5'5 & 104, I still see myself as big. I hate it when people tell me I'm to skinny, cause I don't see it.
    wow 104
    im jealous!

I think you should talk to someone. :worried: Best of luck.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I am your height and was close to your weight (120-125) at your age. When you get into your 40s your metabolism will begin to slow and you will need to be mindful of what you eat since your body doesn't need as many calories any more. Also, women begin losing lean body mass in their mid-40s to 50s. If you are active, exercise and weight train so that you retain muscle, this will help as muscle burns more calories than far. So no, it's not guaranteed that you will gain weight as you age, but it does take more effort to remain at a healthy weight.