Diabetes

Options
valpru
valpru Posts: 8 Member
Newly diagnosed. Looking for low sugar recipes, especially breakfasts.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg. Omelette, etc. Think fat & protein.
  • valpru
    Options
    Thanks. Am not typically a breakfast person but need to get a routine going. Have been told to try porridge but I hate it.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Porridge is high in carbohydrates. Not what you need. A low carb / sugar protein drink may be an option too.
  • valpru
    Options
    It's really confusing. I would agree with you re porridge but diabetes clinicians say low carb diet but start the day with porridge to get the slow released energy it brings.
    I need variety to not only get this under control but to also stick to my weigh less goals.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Don't stick yourself to the idea that breakfast has to be breakfast food. You can have celery and peanut butter for breakfast and it's no different than having it for a morning snack or lunch. Similarly string cheese and sausage sticks, leftovers from the night before, or berries and whipped cream. Also, if you're a coffee drinker, add heavy whipping cream to it instead of milk or creamer, the fat will help offset the impact of whatever carbs you do have on your blood sugar, and you might stay full longer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    First and best advice I got newly diagnosed was the plate method.
    Tools_PlateMethod_4Web.png
    Eating a variety at every meal, every snack helped me get sustained energy without overdoing anything either. Getting in to a routine for breakfast is very good, too. You can get creative with breakfast as long as you find a similar protein to an egg. Like greek yogurt.

Oatmeal/porridge is a slow release carbohydrate because of the high soluble fiber. Here's an article describing the joy of oats.
  • yarwell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    valpru wrote: »
    It's really confusing. I would agree with you re porridge but diabetes clinicians say low carb diet but start the day with porridge to get the slow released energy it brings.
    I need variety to not only get this under control but to also stick to my weigh less goals.

If you have a blood glucose meter go by that - it's the glucose level that will harm you so find foods that keep it down, in general these aren't carbohydrates but it depends what you mix together too. If you don't try and get one $30 or less.

Porridge has a GI of 58 - feed it to chickens and eat their eggs.
  • DaliaMaria73
    DaliaMaria73 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Most clinicians are going by dated guidelines. They think there's enough fiber in porridge to provide slow released glucose. They would be wrong. Most diabetics see a very high blood sugar spike from porridge. I've also seen clinicians recommend low-fat dairy, etc. Fat is useful for slowing the release of glucose into the bloodstream.Full fat in moderation is the way to go. Don't trust any and all medical personnel.

• russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What type of diabetes? I'm slowly getting there...I have a primary autoimmune disease (Addison's) that's leading me slowly to diabetes insipidus (type 1 - also helped by taking catabolic steroids) and it's scary.
    I'm paying close attention to your post because this is my future, too :~
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!
    I'm pre-Type 2 Diabetic, so I'm in a slightly different boat than you. But, I'll tell you what I eat, and you can take what you will.
    When I need something quick and easy in the morning, I eat FiberOne (25g carbs/14g fiber/0g sugar) (Yes, yes, sucralose, but I don't think they put a lot in it: I don't get that metallic taste I get from, say, whey protein shakes.) or Original GoLean (35 carbs/10g fiber/9g sugar), both with unsweetened soymilk (3 carbs/7g protein/1g sugar).
    I also like a smoothie with 1c unsweetened soymilk, 3T hemp protein (12g carb/12g fiber/11g protein/1g sugar), and 2T PB2 w/ chocolate (6g carbs/3g sugar).
    Arnold's Double Fiber bread is also awesome.
    Good luck!
  • valpru
    Options
    Cheers. I don't recognise brands you mention (I am on the UK) but am sure I will find similar. I have a predominantly savoury taste prefere
    Also we don't seem to add as much sugar to things as the USA if cookery shows are anything to go by lol.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Eggs and toast. Make it high fiber bread. Nothing holds me over like eggs. You can make them into and sandwich and take with you if you're in a hurry. They are cheap, good for protein and fat. Good luck. Try to limit carbs to no more than 45g at each meal according to my dietician. (3 times a day).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

T1 or T2? Are you on medication? If it is T2Dm, follow your doctor's recommendations but also ask for a consultation with a Registered Dietician and/or a Certified Diabetic Educator. Most healthcare providers will cover a certain number of consultations for a newly diagnosed diabetic. Just be aware that sugar is not the be-all-and-end-all of diabetes control. Many diabetic educators tell their patients to not even bother tracking sugars, just total carbs (sugars are a subset of carbs) and, depending on the patient, will give a total number allowed anywhere between 100 and 180 grams a day.

Having said all of that, bacon and eggs or an omelette are good low carb breakfasts. So is plain yogurt with fresh berries and a small handful of granola. When I need something quick, I often make a bowl of oatmeal. 1/2 c oats, 1 cup water, and 2 minutes in the microwave. I sweeten mine with Splenda (sucralose) to keep the carbs down. It does spike my glucose some, but it keeps me satisfied all morning so I don't need a mid-morning snack. I also like a slice of high fiber bread with some butter.

ETA: I was diagnosed T2Dm 18 months ago and was able to get my a1c down to the normal range and off the meds within 10 months by losing weight, exercising, and keeping my total carbs under 180 grams a day. YMMV

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

Even the medical community can appear divorced on this

Some treat type 2 similar to type 1. Some seek reversal of relatively newly diagnosed type 2

Vastly different.course of action

My first internist was the first type, and I fired him shortly

Second Dr favored reversal and in 18 months we did it

I don't share about sugar on the forum since it causes a crap storm of kindergarten bickering

Message me if you want to talk
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Some treat type 2 similar to type 1. Some seek reversal of relatively newly diagnosed type 2

Very true. This is why I suggest seeing a diabetes educator, if at all possible, because they are the most likely to be up to date on all of the newest research. GP's and internists are hit or miss. Diabetic educators may be MD's, but are more likely to be Nurse Practitioners (APNP) or Physician Assistants (PA). My primary care is a APNP and I have received better care from her than I ever did from my internist.

• valpru
    Options
    Love the graphic. Thanks for the advice.
  • valpru
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Very true. This is why I suggest seeing a diabetes educator, if at all possible, because they are the most likely to be up to date on all of the newest research. GP's and internists are hit or miss. Diabetic educators may be MD's, but are more likely to be Nurse Practitioners (APNP) or Physician Assistants (PA). My primary care is a APNP and I have received better care from her than I ever did from my internist.

I have seen the nurse practitioner at my GP surgery and then dietician at the hospital clinic. This is the standard approach in the UK. Surprise, surprise they didn't agree; is it any wonder I was confused!?!???

I was diagnosed in January 2015. I am type 2 but not medicated. Am advised to try and control this with diet first. My mmol/L was 53 when I was diagnosed. I have got this down to 6.4 but need to get it below 5.