What are your thoughts on fasting

Options
I fast once a week for half a day and feel like it gives my metabolism a boost.. What do you think? Good? Bad? Do u do it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say you "feel" like your metabolism has been boosted, what does that mean exactly?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Seems unlikely, but if you think it helps there's probably no reason not to.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    cmills003 wrote: »
    I fast once a week for half a day and feel like it gives my metabolism a boost.. What do you think? Good? Bad? Do u do it?

Highly doubtful.

I fast intermittently just to help with adherence and satiation.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This abstract says that metabolic effects are small. You can find lots of studies done on people who fast for Ramadan. I figured that would be an applicable situation since it's a half day fast of sorts.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/7/490.abstract
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I follow 16:8 most every day.( +/-) I love it. It makes my life much simpler.
    I'm not sure a half a day once a week is doing much and certainly doesn't "boost metabolism". So maybe try experimenting with more established fasting protocols?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'll add that I also follow an intermittent fasting protocol of 18:6 most days and like rybo, I love it. It also simplifies my life, and fits my schedule and hunger patterns.

OP, if you're not sure what that means, it means that I eat my first meal at noon and my last meal finishes around 6:00 pm. I fast the other 18 hours of the day.

There are other styles of intermittent fasting like 5/2 and other protocols like the one I follow with different fast/feed windows.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the "I'm out of food and don't get paid til Friday" fast. it's not very fun...

Seriously though, I find that delaying meal times helps me stay within my calorie goal. My schedule is erratic so I can't really follow IF...but I do what I can.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

How?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    always about dem feelz....

43c9ea85b9a654fdca82c5d974182355.jpg
    rybo wrote: »
    I follow 16:8 most every day.( +/-) I love it. It makes my life much simpler.
    I'm not sure a half a day once a week is doing much and certainly doesn't "boost metabolism". So maybe try experimenting with more established fasting protocols?

also this ^^^...because it's really not about dem feelz....
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Did you say for a half a day, as in 12 hours? So like, from 10 PM to 10 AM? I'm guessing many people likely wouldn't even consider that a fast. I do that fairly routinely as I hate eating in the morning.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Did you say for a half a day, as in 12 hours? So like, from 10 PM to 10 AM? I'm guessing many people likely wouldn't even consider that a fast. I do that fairly routinely as I hate eating in the morning.

I do that 3 times a week, I call it sleeping lol. (I get maybe 5 hours the other 4 days so I "hibernate" on my non-work days lol).
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Found out I was fasting 16:8 without knowing it. :D I tend to eat all my calories between 12p.m - 8p.m. I don't think its really helped boost anything. I sleep like a rock though.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, there's no reason to stop. Enjoy!
  • cmills003
    cmills003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you say you "feel" like your metabolism has been boosted, what does that mean exactly?

More energy
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't intentionally fast (not consume food) unless it's for medical testing. You could say I do fast from 11.30p to 7.30a because I don't eat during my sleep. If it works for you, have at it. I don't think it boosts metabolism though.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

More energy

Ah yes energy, I find, is better for me too. So finish dinner night before and nothing till lunch next day? That's, as mentioned, a (roughly)16/8 protocol.

Lots of different ways of eating. You've just tapped into one that suits your WOE. Now you've just got to be prepared to bust the myth of eating breakfast first thing in morning to "kickstart the metabolism" time and again to others and you're good to go!

This group has info on the different fasting methods if you'd like more info. It's worth a read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting