EBF and calorie "allowance" help?!

Options
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. MFP doesn't give the option for breastfeeding mothers when setting up a goal. I'm afraid of having too low of a set amount and losing milk supply for my child. Can anyone help me figure this out? I don't really know how to factor in all of the information in order to get an appropriate goal.

Replies

• brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the amount you need for a goal, but if your concern is milk supply, then the recommendation I've always read is a minimum of 1800 calories/day. Some women may need more in order not to negatively affect their supply though! It really depends on the person. Honestly, I'd try starting out higher, then gradually decrease until you find you're slowly losing weight but not having supply issues. Taking the time to figure it out is better than a negative affect on milk supply from having too large of a caloric deficit or cutting back too suddenly.

• kay_rove
    kay_rove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start at 1800, stay there for at least a week. If your supply isn't negatively affected and you are seeing results then stay there for another 1-3 weeks. If your results slow down and you need to lower you can lower to 1500 (after the first 4 week on 1800), test the waters again to see how your supply is. It's not recommended to go under that but I'm a nursing mother and my sweet spot is between 1200-1300 calories at this point in my journey. I drink 169 oz of water daily though and take my prenatals, probiotics, and calcium/zinc/magnesium supplements. I've also been cleared by my doctor and I decreased gradually. I stayed at 1800 the first month, then 1500 the next 3 months after that and just dropped to 1200 this week. Good luck! Go ahead and friend me so you can ask me any questions, chances are, I've tried it ;)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion I saw 2 mothers talk about, and 2 took the suggestion and had success to.

Set MFP to maintain - no weight loss goal. Be honest with non-exercise activity level, Lightly Active if you already have a kid and are moving all day.

Log exercise calories as accurately as you can for time and type/intensity of exercise - eat them back per MFP method.

Do not account for breast feeding - it creates the deficit.
    Upwards of 500 at the start, and as weight drops and deficit should be smaller, you are likely doing less of it and therefore deficit correctly comes down.

May have to put a 1/2 lb weight loss goal in there near the end.

That way - no dealing with it.

And that way there's no need to drop to the bare minimum recommend for sedentary average woman of 1200.
    Don't be average, don't do minimum. Get max benefit from your workouts.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Great suggestion I saw 2 mothers talk about, and 2 took the suggestion and had success to.

Set MFP to maintain - no weight loss goal. Be honest with non-exercise activity level, Lightly Active if you already have a kid and are moving all day.

Log exercise calories as accurately as you can for time and type/intensity of exercise - eat them back per MFP method.

Do not account for breast feeding - it creates the deficit.
    Upwards of 500 at the start, and as weight drops and deficit should be smaller, you are likely doing less of it and therefore deficit correctly comes down.

May have to put a 1/2 lb weight loss goal in there near the end.

That way - no dealing with it.

And that way there's no need to drop to the bare minimum recommend for sedentary average woman of 1200.
    Don't be average, don't do minimum. Get max benefit from your workouts.

^This. Try eating at maintenance, do not account for breastfeeding, readjust after a few weeks if you are losing too fast or too slowly.
    It is very hard to have your supply affected by restricting calories, you will need to literally starve yourself for a while.
  • ElijahsMom1114
    ElijahsMom1114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!