What are your thoughts on fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also do intermittent fasting, did it even before I ever heard of IF. I do it because I don't like breakfast eating (not hungry) and am usually not hungry at lunch. I get home from work at 3:30 and eat from about 3:31 (lol) until about 10.

This makes it easier to stay within my calorie goals which makes me happier.
  • cmills003
    cmills003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »
    I'm currently on the "I'm out of food and don't get paid til Friday" fast. it's not very fun...

Seriously though, I find that delaying meal times helps me stay within my calorie goal. My schedule is erratic so I can't really follow IF...but I do what I can.

• cmills003
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I fast every night when I go to bed, until I eat the next day :smiley:
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've done intermittent fasting (Lean Gains 16:8) and really like it. I stopped when I got pregnant last year though. I think it's beneficial for some people, for example, if you're a person who prefers larger meals over smaller frequent ones. That way you can have your larger meals while maintaining the calorie deficit needed. It really just depends on how you prefer to achieve your deficit. If I was at a social event or going out for a meal, I'd just adjust my 8 hour eating window accordingly for that day, but typically kept my meals between 10am-6pm.

Really though, as long as you've got a calorie deficit you should have results.
  • cmills003
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments - was just curious what people thought out there - ie good/bad/pointless
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How long is your fast and from when to when?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I always thought fasting went on for days at the time. Sometimes I fast all day long when I am too busy doing something.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Deprivation is so good for one's halo. :innocent:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cmills003 wrote: »
    I fast once a week for half a day and feel like it gives my metabolism a boost.. What do you think? Good? Bad? Do u do it?

I think fasting does not boost or de-boost metabolism.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Some research suggests it can prolong lifespan
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7230/edsumm/e090205-11.html

I read somewhere that it might not be ideal for women, though, for hormonal reasons
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do it as a planned activity but I'm pretty sure I regularly fast for 12 hours due to sleep and delaying breakfast
    It might give a psychological boost but not a metabolic one
    Fasting for those who do it is a way to keep weekly calories in check

Those are my thoughts

• NearlyMelaine
    NearlyMelaine Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit off topic to what you're saying, but I find going to sleep feeling hungry increasing the overnight fast boosts my weightloss and also helps me eat a good substantial breakfast in the morning to start the day. Personally, I highly recommend it, although I'm aware some people maybe averse to the idea...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I think I accidentally do 16:8. It doesn't bother me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Op you haven't explained your routine. .

What I'm seeing is you skip breakfast once a week. Is that correct?

I don't eat till 12pm every day, but I drink tea with milk up until then, so I wouldn't call it fasting.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit off topic to what you're saying, but I find going to sleep feeling hungry increasing the overnight fast boosts my weightloss and also helps me eat a good substantial breakfast in the morning to start the day. Personally, I highly recommend it, although I'm aware some people maybe averse to the idea...

sorry it's another 'dem feels' with no rational science to back it up

but if you like doing it you should