10,000 Calorie Cheat Day

Options
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me the pro's and cons and any experiences had with a 10,000 cal cheat day?

Firstly, I'm currently prepping for my first ever bodybuilding show going into the fitness category. I am 9 weeks out at this stage about to start my cutting phase. I am currently sitting at 56kg and approx 16% BF. I have been fairly strict since January this year, started off with 1 cheat meal a week and have slowly just worked it down to whenever i desperately need a cheat meal for my sanity which is approx 1 meal every 3 weeks or so.
I am wondering whether having a 10,000 cal cheat day would be at all beneficial to me, not only for psychological reasons but physical as well.

If i was to do this it would only be a one off and then i would go straight back to my nutrition plan but i had planned to map it out as detailed below, I just have some doubts and am a little scared it could hinder my progress.

60mins High intensity Cardio
Meal 1: 2500 cal
60min Heavy Legs session
Meal 2: 2500 cal
60min Heavy Chest session
Meal 3: 2500 cal
60min Heavy Back session
Meal 4: 2500 cal

Any experience or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated as i don't know what to expect and can't find much info about it on good old google...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    10,000 will certainly negate your weekly deficit, if not more depending on what you're cutting at.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The 10000 calorie cheat is meant as more of a challenge. Its not going to magically do anything for your health. It would be more beneficial to add back in your occasional cheats.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    10,000 will certainly negate your weekly deficit, if not more depending on what you're cutting at.

This, although if you don't mind being set back a week or so, I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. It would depend on your goals, but if you have 9 weeks to prep for your comp, the cheat day takes at least a week out of that cut. A week may not matter for someone slowly losing 100 lbs, but for someone who's trying to lean out for a BB competition, it seems like it would be a pretty big blow.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so you are going to gain three pounds nine weeks before your show??

@SideSteel or @Sarauk2sf could better address this for you ..

it sounds a little extreme to me, but I don't have much expertise in this area...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love to eat, but I think I'd be sick before I could get to 10,000 calories. That's an obscene amount of food!
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I feel like you might feel pretty sick/miserable if you're consuming that much food between workouts. Unless I'm reading that wrong.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I don't know much about it hence why i was asking about the pro's and con's as some forums i have read are starting that the initial weight gain from water and sodium is short lived and afterwards some people have dropped below their initial weight before the cheat day.

I wouldn't eat dead on 10,000 cals but pretty much just eat as close to it as i could without feeling like i want to throw up.

I wasn't to sure on the theory behind it thats why i thought id ask before just going and doing it and ruining 12 months of training for this show.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm like reading this thread like a deer staring into the headlight.lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I don't know much about it hence why i was asking about the pro's and con's as some forums i have read are starting that the initial weight gain from water and sodium is short lived and afterwards some people have dropped below their initial weight before the cheat day.

I wouldn't eat dead on 10,000 cals but pretty much just eat as close to it as i could without feeling like i want to throw up.

I wasn't to sure on the theory behind it thats why i thought id ask before just going and doing it and ruining 12 months of training for this show.

why not just do a regular re feed day and eat up to maintenance or a slight surplus???

it just sound counterproductive to eat that much when you are only 9 weeks out from show...
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What does cutting mean? And why is it important to eat so much?
  • SashThompson
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why not just do a regular re feed day and eat up to maintenance or a slight surplus???

it just sound counterproductive to eat that much when you are only 9 weeks out from show...

I wasnt going to do it for the sole purpose of getting to eat that much, i honestly just wanted to know whether its actually a viable thing to do or not. obviously if the risk is too great i won't be doing it, but just thought I would exhaust all areas of research i could before deciding.

Regarding the re feed.. is that different to a single cheat meal? i've not had a re feed day before, is it just any kinds of food or high carb/low fat kind of thing?
  • SashThompson
    Options
    What does cutting mean? And why is it important to eat so much?

It's really not important to eat that much and its a very unorthodox way to go about it hence why I'm approaching it with caution.

Cutting is just the term people sometimes use to refer to the stage before a bodybuilding show in which they 'cut' or lean down to a stage physique.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are prepping for a show I think its a terrible idea.

10,000 calories will not help physiologically - either for weight loss or performance and trying to cram in 10,000 calories is actually really really hard so I do not see why it would help psychologically either - you will most likely feel uncomfortable and bloated.

It does not take that much food to get a boost to your workouts.

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a cheat day, or a cheat meal. It all goes into the total calories in - calories out equation. Every calorie counts. Your body doesn't care what you call the day.

If you are eating a 500 calorie deficit, your 10,000 calorie day will take you 3 weeks to work off.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pretty sure the people who eat that much may have a reason to do so. ie, they're enhanced and using assistance.

I love food, but think even that would make me feel ill.
  • SashThompson
    Options
    Pretty sure the people who eat that much may have a reason to do so. ie, they're enhanced and using assistance.

I love food, but think even that would make me feel ill.

Oooohhhhh ok that makes sense to me now. Thank you!!! Right well I won't be doing that then haha :P
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It could make you very sick and cause diarrhea.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a cheat day, or a cheat meal. It all goes into the total calories in - calories out equation. Every calorie counts. Your body doesn't care what you call the day.

If you are eating a 500 calorie deficit, your 10,000 calorie day will take you 3 weeks to work off.

Unless your body goes, "Emergency! Evacuate!"

In which case you mostly just have a few very uncomfortable hours in the bathroom. Ahem.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I would be so sick before I even reached anywhere near that amount!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    . . . trying to cram in 10,000 calories is actually really really hard . . .

This, I agree with. Boy, my mouth is watering, just THINKING about how I might be able to do it, though . . .

Seriously, though, I think the whole idea of cheat days or high calorie days are just insane. On top of that, I just got over doing something very similar . . . Last weekend was pretty crazy. I was extremely active, between running and lots of other physical activity, so I pretty much ignored my eating; I figured my activity would make up for it.

I was also around middle school boys for much of the weekend, and at a birthday party.

Over 3 days, I ate 10,000+ calories. This is more than 2X my normal. It included things like stuffed pizza, cake, ice cream, pancakes, etc. Really yummy. But at times I did feel a bit sick to my stomach.

I gained 5 pounds. It came off pretty quickly . . . I should be done with it by tomorrow . . . but it was a real bummer to erase 2 solid weeks of hard work and progress with one weekend binge.