C25K- is it bad to do it 3 days in a row?

Options
melliebee
melliebee Posts: 187 Member
I have a weird schedule this week and have to run 3 days in a row. I just read in a thread that it is not good to run 2-3 days in a row and should be spaced out. Why is this?

Replies

• cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too... I've done a few days in a row as well. Start Week 4 tomorrow! :)
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    You should be fine.
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    even if you are a beginner runner the intervals that the c25k help you build muscle in the thighs and calfs. You'll need a day in between for the muscles to rest and recover before going at it again. i suppose you can do three days in a row if you have to but im sure your performance may suffer as a result (quicker fatigue, lactic acid build up, endurance/stamina)
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Ideally, rest is just as important as exercise. I don't think one time of 3 days in a row will be a problem, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    In my opinion its a case of "Listen to your body" if you want to train consecutive days - if you feel fine, you are good to go - but don't force yourself if you are feeling tired as you are prone to injury...

On the other hand, having had one or two days to recover you should push yourself been if you feel tired - or more importantly if you feel stiff... the run will loosen you up again.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    To give your body time to recuperate, so that you will not get an injury for overdoing it. If it is the only option you have, I would suggest not pushing yourself to run fast. I would keep it a slow and steady pace.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    yea don't sweat it. You just don't want to be running like 5 days in a row if you aren't used to it...you don't want to get an injury. be sure to stretch and drink lots of water

good luck!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I am doing the C25K program, too. The reason they give you a rest day between run days is because your body needs to recover. If you are like me and have NEVER been a runner, or if it has been a long time since you ran, this is a big change for your body and it needs to rest. I take a walk or do other cardio on my off days. Also, the program sets you up to slowly get into running and if you go too fast your body might not respond and you could get injured. Slow is always best when it comes to losing weight/getting in shape so don't rush it! Good luck!