Scale says 166, my mind thinks of me as 136

Options
Anybody else out there whose mind messes with them? I was petite 5'3" and thin until 21 and my mind remembers that very well. I know I am buying big sized clothes and others think of me as overweight but inside I feel 4 sizes smaller. I also don't have a full length mirror so that may not be helping as I am pear shaped and my upper and lower bodies are definately different sizes. :# I'd like to bring the reality part together. I suppose the only way to do that is lose the 30 lbs.

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I feel like that too! I also have a mirror that makes me look great, but then I see myself in others and think wtf??? Unfortunately I realised that the other mirrors were the ones I should be paying attention to, the one at home was only showing me what I could be like if I made an effort :(
  • pjfarm
    pjfarm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel like that too! I also have a mirror that makes me look great, but then I see myself in others and think wtf??? Unfortunately I realised that the other mirrors were the ones I should be paying attention to, the one at home was only showing me what I could be like if I made an effort :(

I think Mirrors should be regulated by the government :smile: It is very hard to judge in stores, etc.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Absolutely x
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That's interesting because most people, especially women, usually feel that they are much larger then they really are.

Our own self image is a powerful thing, so I would say use that positively. In other words most women don't see themselves as pretty or attractive, or whatever word you want to use, when they are above their "ideal" weight, so since you see yourself at a certain weight you can use that as motivation to actually get there.

My wife and I have been married for almost 19 years and she is the total opposite. She was around 105 pounds for most of her adult life even after two kids. Just in the last few years she gained some weight and now is working on losing it. I can tell she only needs to lose about five more to get to where she wants to be but she sees herself as needing to lose 50, not really 50 but you get the point. It has taken a long time for her to actually see that she is not as big as she sees herself.

Hope that makes sense. Just a guy's perspective. :)
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you feel happy and confident in the size then you rock that feeling girl ;)
  • kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am just the opposite: I am 50, 5'6"/168 cm and started at 287 lbs/130kg 16 month ago. I have now been about 170-175 lbs/77.5-79.5kg for 6 month. My doc says for my body type/ bone structure-frame/age I am good at that weight (I would like to get to 160lbs/72.5kg). I have to say the last time I was at this weight was when I was around 18. I was always the chubby one even asa child. My 22 year old son was in for a major shock when he saw me for the first time after loosing over 110 lbs (he knew of course due to talking, facebook pictures etc., but he had not seen me in person for the 10 month it took me to loose the weight - he lives in California and I in Texas. After all this timeI still look in the mirror expecting to see 200+ lbs. When shopping I always drift towards the plus sizes where nothing fits me. When people tell me they think I look skinny I have to remind myself that I have lost all that weight. Just yesterday I was told that after comenting on feeling chilly after getting out of the pool (it was 90F/42C with a good breeze) before drying off: that is because you do not have no fat....The bottom line is that it is really hard to loose the thinking about oneself that we are used to. We need to keep in mind that not all of us can look like models, the weight/ height scales are not taking our body composition/frame in account (we should go by our docs there) and our goal should not be a certain size (the one we used to be or the one we wish we were), but our overall health - things like the cholesterol level, blood sugar etc. Remember the body changes with age!!!!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite... I've always been slender...I'm 5'5 and my normal weight was ~130. I started losing at 183 and am down to 127 and I still don't feel right when I look in a mirror. It might just be that the weight is all distributed differently..having kids does that!
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too! Some days I'm startled by the butt in the mirror! I guess I still see myself as younger/thinner. I figure it's a good thing though. Keep that in mind though as you eat and exercise. I'm a big believer in what you envision becomes your reality. If you assume you'll never succeed or will always be overweight, or whatever that's what happens. If you can see yourself successful you can accomplish that!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is me. In my mind i am much thinner than reality. I am trying very hard to make the two match up, but i will never be as thin again as I was at 21, unless I was very ill. That's okay with me, if I could get within 5-10 pounds of my driver's license weight, that would be enough- 8-13 pounds to go for that to happen!
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I started out thin, then quickly packed on more than 50lbs...during that time I still saw myself as 125lbs. When I saw a picture of myself (my before on my profile pic) I saw I was NOT 125, but MASSIVE! Now, I'm 129 (struggling to lose 5 lbs) and I see myself as big. Though, my clothing size says I'm petite, I have a very hard time seeing it. This whole weight loss thing is more mental than anything. Soon our minds will catch up to where we are and can see ourselves as others see us. But if you feel like your a size 4 and aren't.....Good for you for rocking that confidence!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am totally the opposite. I was 257lbs six years ago and am now 139lbs but I still feel obese and expect to see that fat woman every time I look in the mirror... I know realistically that I am not fat anymore but that is just how I 'see myself'! I almost feel guilty and like a fraud when I go into a shop and ask for my 'new' size UK 8 to 10 like the assistant is going to laugh and say ' but you're a UK28' like I used to be!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just ignore the scale anyway. I weigh 10 pounds more right now than I did 3 years ago at the end of my 55 pound weight loss, but I wear on average a size 4 or Small clothes. At the end of my weight loss I was wearing a size 10. So thankful for strength training and the changes it has made in my physique :)
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also feel 30 lbs lighter. Then I pull something from the closet and I'm surprised that it is too small. And I have a real mirror.....
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I find this very interesting. I wonder if it has any impact on our ability to succeed at weight loss? I am also one of those who feels thin, because hell, that's me, I have always been thin! I look in the mirror and see this chubby person or feel my belly hanging over my jeans and I just feel annoyed, rather than resigned. I feel as though the norm I need to get back to is thin and I am driven to "fix" this anomaly, by continuing to lose weight.

What about the people though, who feel that their norm is fat? Is it easier for them or harder for them? I see many stories about people who have lost tons of weight and still feel fat, is it more of a struggle to keep it off? Does a part of you want to reset to the "norm"?

I don't have any answers. I just find it very interesting and I look forward to hearing more stories.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That was totally me. When I was very heavy, I saw myself as much thinner in the mirror than I actually was, it was only in pictures that I could see the shocking truth. I think that actually hindered me because it allowed me to live in denial about how overweight I really was.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I never saw myself totally like that... it was more like the weight crept up and I didn't notice in the mirror as much, but really noticed in pictures. Now, I've lost the weight, but still see myself as bigger, except sometimes in pictures. I constantly have to steer myself away from the larger sizes in the store, it's a force of habit. In the mirror, all I can see is all the work that still needs to be done! I think this is why a lot of people don't realize just how important before & after pics are... sometimes, they are your only true way to judge your progress.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I find this very interesting. I wonder if it has any impact on our ability to succeed at weight loss? I am also one of those who feels thin, because hell, that's me, I have always been thin! I look in the mirror and see this chubby person or feel my belly hanging over my jeans and I just feel annoyed, rather than resigned. I feel as though the norm I need to get back to is thin and I am driven to "fix" this anomaly, by continuing to lose weight.

What about the people though, who feel that their norm is fat? Is it easier for them or harder for them? I see many stories about people who have lost tons of weight and still feel fat, is it more of a struggle to keep it off? Does a part of you want to reset to the "norm"?

I don't have any answers. I just find it very interesting and I look forward to hearing more stories.

Now that I've lost a large amount of weight, it's the opposite for me. When I was obese, I used to see a much smaller person in the mirror and be shocked at how big I looked in pictures. Now I'm shocked at how "thin" I look when I see pictures of myself. It's weird.

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I never saw myself totally like that... it was more like the weight crept up and I didn't notice in the mirror as much, but really noticed in pictures. Now, I've lost the weight, but still see myself as bigger, except sometimes in pictures. I constantly have to steer myself away from the larger sizes in the store, it's a force of habit. In the mirror, all I can see is all the work that still needs to be done! I think this is why a lot of people don't realize just how important before & after pics are... sometimes, they are your only true way to judge your progress.

Definitiely , photos and measurements plus favourite clothes can really show you how well you have done. I would never go so long without weighing myself or not paying attention to clothes not fitting again and thinking they had shrunk in the wash
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm struggling with this too. I worked so hard to accept myself I didn't realize I became overweight. But numbers don't lie. I guess I'm always going to have to monitor my weight somewhat.