Obesity in Poor People

245

Replies

  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,186 Member
    Lol, go to any 3rd world country and most will have processed foods on the shelves. Why aren't they obese? Because they obviously don't eat as many calories per day as the average American does.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Yeah, I disagree too. People get fat because they don't know or they don't care. I don't think economic status has much to do with obesity. Its all about choosing what and how much you eat. If you are exposed to the right information you can make better choices regardless of how much money you spend.

    My uncle recently died a few months ago due to complications from Obesity. Yep, that's what they put on his death certificate. He battled diabetes and heart issues, too. My family is pretty much middle class so he had the opportunity to change his eating habits and didn't. He worked with weight watchers and he worked with dietitians and he worked with doctors. Still he's dead. Complications from obesity. He chose that path.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    What are you considering "poor" for this conversation, that could be subjective. I see people from all economic levels who are extremely obese and others who are a healthy weight. I also have family members who eat all organic nutritious foods who are obese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,186 Member
    Ask anyone who was alive during World War II. How many poor people were obese? Answer is none. Then why are the poorest people the most obese?

    Answer is poor food quality. Today food is cheap. But why? Our food and water is laced with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and other additives to enhance taste and prolong shelf life. If you saw the conditions in which your meat was produced, you would stop eating meat.

    Want an easy weight loss tip? Do what I did. Change as much as you can to organic food. Yes it costs more but you will eat less. You will feel fuller faster and longer. I now save money on groceries because I eat less. I am not as hungry because my body isn't starving for nutrition. You owe it to yourself to try.
    Also go to a penitentiary. The lowest quality of food you can get for a population of people in America. Guess what the obesity rate is?

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    bmorss807 wrote: »
    That is a very interesting observation, and I agree with everything you have said. I have noticed that watching "old" movies...there are not many obese people, and I fully agree that the current situation in is due to stuff like this:

    2013-04-27-20-07-28adj.jpg

    Flourescent lights and shiny floors causes obesity?

    Or is it the coolers and folding chairs on top of the displays?

    Pls explain.

    It's the folding chairs, I've been struggling with weight issues caused by folding chairs for nearly a decade.


    OMG I just put a folding chair in my trunk for the summer season. There go my gainz... :(

    my condolences :(
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Ask anyone who was alive during World War II. How many poor people were obese? Answer is none. Then why are the poorest people the most obese?

    Answer is poor food quality. Today food is cheap. But why? Our food and water is laced with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and other additives to enhance taste and prolong shelf life. If you saw the conditions in which your meat was produced, you would stop eating meat.

    Want an easy weight loss tip? Do what I did. Change as much as you can to organic food. Yes it costs more but you will eat less. You will feel fuller faster and longer. I now save money on groceries because I eat less. I am not as hungry because my body isn't starving for nutrition. You owe it to yourself to try.

    Sorry, just no. There's a lot of structural reasons for obesity in lower income people in the US, but you've got it way backward. Obviously you've convinced yourself you've got the answers and you're on some sort of crusade, but premise is flawed from the start so your conclusions are simply wrong.

    You're welcome to your own opinions, but your self-certainty in your own correctness is bordering on the religious.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    bmorss807 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    bmorss807 wrote: »
    That is a very interesting observation, and I agree with everything you have said. I have noticed that watching "old" movies...there are not many obese people, and I fully agree that the current situation in is due to stuff like this:

    2013-04-27-20-07-28adj.jpg

    Flourescent lights and shiny floors causes obesity?

    Or is it the coolers and folding chairs on top of the displays?

    Pls explain.

    Is this better?

    018.jpg

    Lasagna causes obesity?

  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,209 Member
    725cb6abbf88b1e46a9acac520e1b7ae0c7178d8cbf8fe0b4ed4b501b648ac83.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    bmorss807 wrote: »
    That is a very interesting observation, and I agree with everything you have said. I have noticed that watching "old" movies...there are not many obese people, and I fully agree that the current situation in is due to stuff like this:

    2013-04-27-20-07-28adj.jpg

    Flourescent lights and shiny floors causes obesity?

    Or is it the coolers and folding chairs on top of the displays?

    Pls explain.

    It's the folding chairs, I've been struggling with weight issues caused by folding chairs for nearly a decade.


    OMG I just put a folding chair in my trunk for the summer season. There go my gainz... :(

    my condolences :(

    I'll let everyone know where to send a card
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,888 Member
    edited June 2015
    Ask anyone who was alive during World War II. How many poor people were obese? Answer is none. Then why are the poorest people the most obese?

    Answer is poor food quality. Today food is cheap. But why? Our food and water is laced with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and other additives to enhance taste and prolong shelf life. If you saw the conditions in which your meat was produced, you would stop eating meat.

    Want an easy weight loss tip? Do what I did. Change as much as you can to organic food. Yes it costs more but you will eat less. You will feel fuller faster and longer. I now save money on groceries because I eat less. I am not as hungry because my body isn't starving for nutrition. You owe it to yourself to try.

    actually, food in general was simply not as abundant nor was it cheap....whether it's organic or not is irreverent...whether it's processed or not is irrelevant. Food is cheaper and in abundance...it has everything to do with availability.

    troy_whole_brain_crying.gif
    I eat cheap food that is apparently laced with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and the like...I'm a healthy, fit, and lean mother f'er.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    People in really poor countries are skinny, too. Perhaps you can switch to subsistence diet and lose even faster.

    I don't buy the idea that poor people are obese because they only have access to over-processed food. Foods like beans, lentils, rice, and potatoes are inexpensive and nutritious.

    http://business.time.com/2009/08/18/how-to-eat-on-a-dollar-a-day/
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Darn....this whole time I thought I should be going for a calorie deficit in order to lose weight....I guess I just need to spend more money.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    The2qkos6x2e3mg.gif
    This reference was way before WW2, but it is still funny.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,479 Member
    Our food and water is laced with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides and other additives to enhance taste and prolong shelf life

    I didn't realise water had a shelf life, or that these things would make it taste better.
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Oh and sooooo much of this

    Van-Dame-Funny-GIF.gif

    ^ Can I have both?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    :s
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Kings and rich landowners were fat, while the poor paupers were thin
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,040 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    725cb6abbf88b1e46a9acac520e1b7ae0c7178d8cbf8fe0b4ed4b501b648ac83.jpg

    QFT

    The ignorance about the poor is not even worth countering because it's so far from the truth that the truth would fall on deaf ears.

    I wish I could remember the posters here who are social workers so I could beam them into the thread. This topic has been discussed before.

  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Stouffer's Meat Lover's Lasagna: 420 calories per serving. Sounds like a reasonable part of an average diet to me.
    http://www.stouffers.com/our-dishes/Meat-Lovers-Lasagna/11367

    I'm work in grocery retail. Rich people buy just as much convenience food as the poor. The rich just skew toward different product lines.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Organic foods are the hipster version of broscience
This discussion has been closed.