What motivated you to start your fitness journey?

Options

Replies

• berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been obsessed with Halloween for as long as I can remember, but being large really reduces the number of costumes I can pull off well. Every year I have a hundred ideas of things I'd like to wear, but the last three years I've wound up staying in and handing out candy because I felt ashamed. I don't want my weight to take away my favorite holiday anymore. I will be Daenerys Targaryen, and I will ROCK IT!

I'm gonna dress for Halloween this year too! Determined to have fun
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to take my kids swimming and changed my mind after I saw myself in my bathing suit. I was so sad that my lack of confidence in my suit deterred us from a fun time. It really has driven me to be a better mom, get in shape and be active with the kiddos.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Unflattering pictures.

Oh yeah, and staying healthy for my kids, blah, blah, blah (seriously, the pictures).

Yep!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mediocrity scares the bejessus out of me.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Chest Pains; and hard time breathing when trying to tie shoes.
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sweating and being out of breath trying to keep up with a rambunctious three-year-old boy.

And not being able to button my work pants. #NoBueno
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to take my kids swimming and changed my mind after I saw myself in my bathing suit. I was so sad that my lack of confidence in my suit deterred us from a fun time. It really has driven me to be a better mom, get in shape and be active with the kiddos.

oh gosh yes, the swimsuits. the dreaded swimsuit season
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I couldn't bend down to tie my shoe without completely losing my breath. There were a lot of other reasons such as to be able to play with my kids more and such, but the losing breath while tying my shoe was the final thing to happen before I started to lose weight.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There were many reasons, but the one that was most important was I wanted to stop being the mom who said "no" every time my son asked me to play something active. He was 4 then, and 9 now...and I find myself saying, "COME ON, let's play tennis LONGER!" or whatever it is we are doing! I'm now the mom who jumps in and plays kickball at a birthday party because the teams are uneven. That's how I always pictured myself and I am thankful that I got out of the trap of excuses I was in sooner rather than later in my son's life!
  • laurac48
    laurac48 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I miss fashion /clothes and the buzz of getting dressed up on the weekend , I always wore nice trendy clothes but when I packed on the pounds I stopped caring , well I care again thank god lol, working my *kitten* off to get back what I let go , good luck to all
  • tristecharlie
    tristecharlie Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy; luckily I have now recovered from it but my blood pressure was in the clouds back then.
    I decided to stop my unhealthy eating habits and I started riding my bike to work everyday. Not only have I lost weight, but I've saved tons of money on gas as well hahaha :)
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight for a while. I was pretty chunky at 5'0 and 180 lbs. I wouldn't let people take pictures of me and honestly I just didn't care all that much.... until my horse's vet told me I had to lose weight if I wanted him to stay healthy! OUCH! So I'm down 26 lbs (154 lbs) so far and working out has helped my mental state so much. Now I'm working on getting fit... I love seeing the muscles coming in!!! :-) Also I now have a goal to ride ponies... so I have to shed another 15-20 lbs or so.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was always fit, very active, etc. growing up. About 3 years ago though I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, had surgery, then took a desk job. The weight crept up on me as I was just sitting all day and couldn't exercise like I used to for some time. When I was given a green light from the Dr to start exercising again I put myself on a plan to get back in shape. A coworker was using mfp and it seemed like a useful tool, so here I am.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Was tired of making excuses...and decided to get it done.
  • berndanddana
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    I was always fit, very active, etc. growing up. About 3 years ago though I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, had surgery, then took a desk job. The weight crept up on me as I was just sitting all day and couldn't exercise like I used to for some time. When I was given a green light from the Dr to start exercising again I put myself on a plan to get back in shape. A coworker was using mfp and it seemed like a useful tool, so here I am.

Very cool!
  • berndanddana
    Options
    cc3833 wrote: »
    I wanted to lose weight for a while. I was pretty chunky at 5'0 and 180 lbs. I wouldn't let people take pictures of me and honestly I just didn't care all that much.... until my horse's vet told me I had to lose weight if I wanted him to stay healthy! OUCH! So I'm down 26 lbs (154 lbs) so far and working out has helped my mental state so much. Now I'm working on getting fit... I love seeing the muscles coming in!!! :-) Also I now have a goal to ride ponies... so I have to shed another 15-20 lbs or so.

And riding is such great exercise! Awesome story
  • berndanddana
    Options
    aneveryguy wrote: »
    About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy; luckily I have now recovered from it but my blood pressure was in the clouds back then.
    I decided to stop my unhealthy eating habits and I started riding my bike to work everyday. Not only have I lost weight, but I've saved tons of money on gas as well hahaha :)

Congrats on recovery!
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When the scale hit 208 and my age crowded 49 I decided I would not be the fat, depressed, middle age bag. I walked into the gym in January 2014 in tears and now I walk through the door 55 pounds down ripping the weights and wearing a size 6 jean.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All the typical health reasons... But I think my neighbor asking when the baby was due is what finally pushed me over the edge.
  • berndanddana
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    When the scale hit 208 and my age crowded 49 I decided I would not be the fat, depressed, middle age bag. I walked into the gym in January 2014 in tears and now I walk through the door 55 pounds down ripping the weights and wearing a size 6 jean.

Yay you!!!