My LAST 10 lbs, HELP

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
Okay, I have the last 10 to lose, and I need help. Heres my usual routine:

Monday - Thursday Eat between 1100-1400 cals a day - no mattet how Many work out calories I am allowed to eat back
Monday - Thursday work outs usually 40 mins of cardio at the gym, run outside, 1 day of 30 DS
Weekends - Friday is usually a cheat night for me - Drinks, maybe a naughty food, but mainly drinks. Sat I run my *kitten* off at the bar I work at for 11 hours straight. Sunday...Lazy day. Maybe one big meal that day with family, or a friend.

I know I need to step up my cardio probably, and to more strength training to get more toned. Any suggestions? I have been hearing alot about this HIIT and will google it later to get some ideas, but I would love some advice.

Replies

• bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The last bit is always the hardest!! I can't wait to be down to my last 10lb!! Looking at your pic though you don't look as though you need to lose anymore. Well done for it so far though. x
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I remember when I hit goal of 135in 2009, the last 10-15lbs was HORRIFIC and so hard to get OFF...it took me the longest time.. My suggestions would be to have HIGH cal day, then a very low cal day, then normal days.... you are going to have to confuse your body. More vigourous cardio workouts, push yourself harder then before...
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm right there with you, I've got the last 10 pounds to go also! I stepped up my cardio and I also added strength training to my routine so I'm hoping that works! Good luck to you!!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree with more cardio, but you should also try to increase your strength training. I'm sure you have heard it all before but muscle helps you burn fat.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I remember when I hit goal of 135in 2009, the last 10-15lbs was HORRIFIC and so hard to get OFF...it took me the longest time.. My suggestions would be to have HIGH cal day, then a very low cal day, then normal days.... you are going to have to confuse your body. More vigourous cardio workouts, push yourself harder then before...

Hmmmm. Imma give this a try. I'm on my last 10 as well.
  • Lsnitkin
    Lsnitkin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You asked, so here goes:

1. Eat as "clean" as possible. Your body will fight you for those last 10#

2. Add HIIT; the exercise "afterburn" (EPOC) is significantly higher than running. It will also add lean muscle mass and give you that "tone." Have you ever noticed that sprinters appear to be much more fit than marathon runners?

3. The MFP goal numbers may seem questionable at times, but they're the best guidelines I've ever seen. Make sure that you are eating back the calories necessary (in the right percentages) to hit the MFP goal calories +/- 100. Otherwise, your body will think it's starving, and will hold on to the fat. Eat small amounts often to fool your body into relaxing it's survival settings.

Check this out: http://www.thefitnesschronicles.com/150/hiit-cardio-hiit-workout-routine/

and this: www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

You've done great! Keep up your new lifestyle.
  • JennaM222
    Options
    I am thinking doing like 20-30 mins warm up on eliptical, the doing some sprint/jog intervals on the treadmill tO puSh my body more. Usually I will just run 2 miles at an okay pace, I think my body is just used to it and needs to be challanged
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not good with acronyms. Whats HIIT?
  • JennaM222
    Options
    You asked, so here goes:

1. Eat as "clean" as possible. Your body will fight you for those last 10#

2. Add HIIT; the exercise "afterburn" (EPOC) is significantly higher than running. It will also add lean muscle mass and give you that "tone." Have you ever noticed that sprinters appear to be much more fit than marathon runners?

3. The MFP goal numbers may seem questionable at times, but they're the best guidelines I've ever seen. Make sure that you are eating back the calories necessary (in the right percentages) to hit the MFP goal calories +/- 100. Otherwise, your body will think it's starving, and will hold on to the fat. Eat small amounts often to fool your body into relaxing it's survival settings.

Check this out: http://www.thefitnesschronicles.com/150/hiit-cardio-hiit-workout-routine/

and this: www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

You've done great! Keep up your new lifestyle.

Eating back all the calories is my biggest struggle, it scares me so I need to try and be better at that! also totally agree with the HIIT
  • JennaM222
    Options
    Not good with acronyms. Whats HIIT?

Hight Intensity Interval Training
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm also working on losing my last 10 pounds or so. My method is really just slow and steady. I'm preparing my body to maintain this weight for the rest of my life, so I need to start getting it used to that. My deficit is usually only like 200-400 cals. or so now.

I'm stepping up the strength / weights to really help shape my body as I go along, and just trying to have a variety of cardio. I'm not really upping the intensity of my cardio, because I'm just trying to develop habits now that I can maintain for a lifetime. So far, it seems like a combination of a couple walks, a couple / few days at the gym, and one fun activity like tennis is a good and maintainable weekly combo for me.

I'm preparing for this to take me 3 or 4 months. It's frustrating when I took off 10 pounds in a month my first month before MFP. But I konw it's better to lose at a slow and steady rate. It will be a long three months or so, but I think my body will thank me for taking it slowly.