Personal training ! .... What's your opinion ?

Options
Sorry about the soppy post but I really do have the most amazing Personal trainer , I went to school with her and she works at the gym at my work (which I get for free) , she's so supportive and really works to my needs , she knows my limits so will push me when I'm slacking and will adapt the session if I am really struggling so that I get the most out of my hour with her.

Does anyone else have a PT and how often do you see them ?

I have her twice a week for 1 hour

Monday's to get me started after the weekend and Fridays to get me working hard after a long week at work

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It really depends...a lot of PTs are just shy of worthless. It took me almost 2 years to find the right guy...I see my coach once per month now...sometimes twice after spending several months working with him weekly on my Oly lifts and whatnot.

I know more than a lot of the average or below average PTs at my previous gym...my coach on the other hand is a retired professional athlete and was a strength and conditioning coach at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs...he is well worth it and a wealth of knowledge as are all of his employees.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had a different to get me in shape before my wedding , she wasn't great and when I was struggling she let me slow down so I didn't lose much , enough to fit into my dress but I binned her off after . I regret not trying to get slimmer for my wedding, but they are making good before pictures lol
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, I know one, she's my sister. Being skinny all her life she decided to do a few courses here and to become a PT. She's never struggled with any body/nutritional issues. As a result she can easily sell her fit image at the local gym where she works but as the poster above said, there is neither knowledge nor passion to follow. I sometimes test her by asking question re latest trends in nutrition and she knows nothing or very little.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Very good for you. I think wolfman hit the nail on the head though, that there are many personal trainers who arent so great and id rather train myself. they have to have soemthing worth paying for and you have to be in a better position than doing it on your own.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Options
    The good thing about mine is she has a lot of passion and she's always doing courses to further her knowledge. She trains 6 days a week and will try out her training programme on me. She's currently doing a nutrition course so tells me about what she is learning during our sessions.

She keeps trying to get me on the protein shake bandwagon but it just seems like extra calories to me : /
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i looooove my trainer.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student and mother, so I really can't shell out the money for a PT. One of the trainers at my gym is a good friend of mine, though, and she would be great, but I would rather learn to do things myself than break the bank.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Options
    I'm a nursing student and mother, so I really can't shell out the money for a PT. One of the trainers at my gym is a good friend of mine, though, and she would be great, but I would rather learn to do things myself than break the bank.

If she's a friend could she maybe write you a programme to stick to ?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Well, I know one, she's my sister. Being skinny all her life she decided to do a few courses here and to become a PT. She's never struggled with any body/nutritional issues. As a result she can easily sell her fit image at the local gym where she works but as the poster above said, there is neither knowledge nor passion to follow. I sometimes test her by asking question re latest trends in nutrition and she knows nothing or very little.

I agree with this because here to be a "Personal Trainer" you have to take a course which is a couple weekends long or something and all of a sudden you are a certified personal trainer. . . when you may not know anything really about the human body and how it works.

Also, my gym tries to sell everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - on their special program of having a personal trainer when you first sign up and you get it for like 6 weeks at a steeply discounted rate and then to continue on it's some ridiculous price. When I first started I didn't sign up for the PT but they told me someone would do my body assessment every 6 - 8 weeks so I could see how I was progressing. Every single time she tried to sell me on PT . . . and so one of them times I humoured her and listened to what she had to say. After, when I asked how much she first looked at me like no one had every asked her how much it costs, they just do it and then when she told me I was like this is more than my car payment every month. She had the typical response of well it's your health and I said well yes, but I still have to live somehow. She said well the more you put down the less it will be every month. I was so turned off by this that I stopped using her for my check in assessments. I was pretty mad she thought I would just sign up, no questions asked. She didn't even give me a reason to think she could make better changes than I already had made for myself.

I do not like the PTs at my gym, that's for sure! They also only want to train people who are already naturally fit because they don't know much about people who have a lot of weight to lose. It's unfortunate.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have never felt that I could afford one, but would definitely try if money were no object. I thought I might ask a few of my fellow faculty members that also have coached various sports for years about ideas for my workouts and personal goals.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Options
    I'm really lucky that I get the gym for free and my PT only charges me £10 per hour. Some of the other trainers at the gym are really steep but they do seem to know their stuff.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My coaches are worth their weight in gold. I get full programming, and as much feedback on my lifts as I need.

They make sure that I stay in muscular balance and that my overall workload is appropriate for where I am in my competitive season.

Now my old personal trainer? She was okay, but we wound up parting ways when we started having fundamental differences of opinion on how heavy I should lift.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

I agree with this because here to be a "Personal Trainer" you have to take a course which is a couple weekends long or something and all of a sudden you are a certified personal trainer. . . when you may not know anything really about the human body and how it works.

Also, my gym tries to sell everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - on their special program of having a personal trainer when you first sign up and you get it for like 6 weeks at a steeply discounted rate and then to continue on it's some ridiculous price. When I first started I didn't sign up for the PT but they told me someone would do my body assessment every 6 - 8 weeks so I could see how I was progressing. Every single time she tried to sell me on PT . . . and so one of them times I humoured her and listened to what she had to say. After, when I asked how much she first looked at me like no one had every asked her how much it costs, they just do it and then when she told me I was like this is more than my car payment every month. She had the typical response of well it's your health and I said well yes, but I still have to live somehow. She said well the more you put down the less it will be every month. I was so turned off by this that I stopped using her for my check in assessments. I was pretty mad she thought I would just sign up, no questions asked. She didn't even give me a reason to think she could make better changes than I already had made for myself.

I do not like the PTs at my gym, that's for sure! They also only want to train people who are already naturally fit because they don't know much about people who have a lot of weight to lose. It's unfortunate.
    Must be LA Fitness. Just guessing.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm on PT #3. Everyone is different and everyone likes different things. So it really is an individual thing.

Trainer #1 changed my life hands down. He was my rock at the start of my weight loss journey. I worked with him almost weekly for a little over 2 years. He gave me that excuse and reason to continue. I didn't want to let him down. Complete stand up guy who really truly cared. My gym was bought out and he lost his job though. We still stay in touch.

Trainer #2 was more aggressive and helped me push my limits for 6 months. She ended up having some personal issues and our scheduling didn't match up anymore.

Trainer #3 lives states away and we do things online. I have the dedication and form down, she helps me strategically plan my workouts around my races. I do a lot of Beach Body stuff. She is a BB Coach but she is also a certified PT and nutritionist. Her passion is CRAZY. And I love her approach and philosophy. It's been 5 weeks since i started working with her and the results are pretty outstanding. Had the best race of my life this past weekend. I'm looking forward to see what happens over the next few months. She is also cheaper and more involved than the other two. But obviously she is not there watching me do everything.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

Must be LA Fitness. Just guessing.

It's Goodlife, actually which I don't know if they have outside of Canada if you aren't from Canada.