How do I know when I am eating too few calories?

mikeveggie68
mikeveggie68 Posts: 116
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I am dropping my calorie intake, but i am not sure how low i can go without it being unhealthy or counter-productive to my weight loss & exercise regiment.

Replies

• jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Use MFP > Goals tab on the My Home tab. It will set them for you :)
  • nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    The best thing to do is to get a heart rate monitor so you can really track your exercise calories so you have a fairly good idea of what your burning during exercise.. Never go below 1200-1250 calories. If you don't eat enough it will stall your weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I am dropping my calorie intake, but i am not sure how low i can go without it being unhealthy or counter-productive to my weight loss & exercise regiment.

Hunger. If you eat enough healthy food to never be hungry than you should be fine.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I just posted a thread about how eating too little sent me into a six week plateau:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/248810-six-week-plateau-busted-yay

My lesson learned from that experience is to follow MFP. Set your goals and let MFP figure it all out for you. As long as you are logging your food and exercise correctly and not overestimating calorie burn via exercise, it should work!
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Hi. let's introduce some precision into how you can answer this question successfully for YOU.

1) Use the BMR calculator on this site, it is probably the best I have found. I'm pretty sure it adjusts for age which many out there do not. That part is crucial.

2) Next get your best estimate of your activity over and above your BMR. Use a pedometer if necessary. People repeatedly over estimate their exercise calorie values. Google some to get a feel. 8-12 calories per minute of actual moderate aerobic intensity (not standing around or resting or getting water, etc. ACTUAL activity meeting the definition) seems to be a reasonable guideline.

3) Using 1 & 2, set calorie intake targets (adjust accordingly for exercise vs. non exercise days). Factor in your calorie restriction according to the # lbs across time period you wish to lose. Plan your calorie distribution (% protein, carbs, fats).

4) Hard part. STICK TO IT for at least a week, NO FAIL.

5) Evaluate and tweak. Scale readings, Brutal self honesty are crucial.

6) Do not confuse a little bit of hunger with you are being too strict. If you followed the above, the only thing you may need to adjust is % of slow to fast carbs. Also, back out your saturated fat and add 1 tbls Olive Oil or Canola oil for each 100 calories you need to add. Good fats will improve your satiety.

7) Plans that tell you if you follow their scheme you won't feel hungry are trying to sell you something. Any reasonable reduction will feel initially different. Drink an extra 1-2 glasses (12-16 oz size) after your meal--It does wonders for me.

8) Look in the mirror naked and ask yourself "what is more important, feeling full like I used to and continuing to look that way, or slowly changing how much I eat and getting to look like I want to."

9) BIG trap: Cutting too much too fast. Shouldn't happen if you follow above.

GO GET 'EM!
  • webbed1
    By the way, from March when my pic was taken I have dropped 5 lbs and bodyfat down to 9%. Starting a week ago, I quit "adding" my exercise calories back in. I'll see how long I can do this. I know it will provide a jolt. Since March I have kept my protein very clean and constant (lots of boiled boneless skinless chicken breast and protein shakes). I shoot for 1+ grams per lb, usually getting 220-250 grams a day. I have tried low fat and gotten some reduction in bodyfat, and I have tried low carb (50 a day for past week) and what seems to work best for me at my stage is just caloric reduction. I was doing 2000 calories a day, 40% protein, and 3 days ago dropped to 1800 on top of not adding my weight training back in. I'm starting to see meltage already. I just want to get the formula down. I want to hit 7% body fat and increase muscle to hover at 205.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I'd have to say that I'm in almost complete agreement with webbed1's 9 step process. My only difference would be I'd say give yourself more than 1 week on the plan before you make any decisions, I'd say closer to a month, but other than that, awesome job dude!

I'd like to point out one thing about the second post, for all of those who read this, he's at a very specific (and very fit) stage in his progress, where specific body fat gains (losses actually) are difficult to come by and you have to make more specific and drastic cuts to your nutrition to see tangible results. For the average joe or jane doe, this is probably an unnecessary thing if you just want to get into the normal body fat range (7% body fat is elite fitness level usually only achieved by professional athletes, and generally not sustained, and FYI, it's what I'd love to hit one day, it's just very difficult to do, especially for someone approaching 40 with a 10 hour a day, sedentary job, I'm shooting for about 9% at this point).
  • webbed1
    SHBoss1673, thanks for chiming in and adding needed clarification. I agree with you wholeheartedly about taking the month to evaluate vs. the week, but for people I've worked with, they hear "month" they lose confidence. So I switched to something less psychologically intimidating--I tell people now, "Ok, now do another week." You are right, that if the 9 steps are dialed in as I outlined, they should indeed be able to hit a month, especially since if they do the steps, #9 should be impossible.

I have heard people come to me in gym or people from the gym who see me around ask, "my nutritionist told me to go on a 2200 calorie diet and I don't think I can do that." Quick visual assessment by me (I don't say this) indicates possibly 80+ lbs overweight. So when I ask how many calories they were eating, they reply with 3500-4500, something like that. I always tell them I am not going to countermand their nutritionist, but I do tell them to find another one. Counseling someone to cut 1000-2000+ calories daily inside a month will probably always create failure. It could be medically disasterous. It drives me nuts to hear nonsense like that.

FYI--I'm 43 with a sedentary job, you are right, it is SO hard.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    SHBoss1673, thanks for chiming in and adding needed clarification. I agree with you wholeheartedly about taking the month to evaluate vs. the week, but for people I've worked with, they hear "month" they lose confidence. So I switched to something less psychologically intimidating--I tell people now, "Ok, now do another week." You are right, that if the 9 steps are dialed in as I outlined, they should indeed be able to hit a month, especially since if they do the steps, #9 should be impossible.

I have heard people come to me in gym or people from the gym who see me around ask, "my nutritionist told me to go on a 2200 calorie diet and I don't think I can do that." Quick visual assessment by me (I don't say this) indicates possibly 80+ lbs overweight. So when I ask how many calories they were eating, they reply with 3500-4500, something like that. I always tell them I am not going to countermand their nutritionist, but I do tell them to find another one. Counseling someone to cut 1000-2000+ calories daily inside a month will probably always create failure. It could be medically disasterous. It drives me nuts to hear nonsense like that.

FYI--I'm 43 with a sedentary job, you are right, it is SO hard.

Man I like your style guy. Can't disagree with anything you're saying on here, and have to agree about the nutritionist stuff. course I DO contradict some nutritionist advice, but only after checking their credentials and making sure I'm fully confident that they're an idiot! I almost always tell someone that comes to me with "my nutritionist said" statements to go see a registered dietitian. I have one that I work exclusively with that I refer clients to if they ask. Its so worth it though, as soon as someone matches up the qualifications needed for a nutritionist (basically zero in Massachusetts, just enough money to print business cards) and what's needed for a registered dietitian (a 4 year degree and a re-occurring qualification test), they're usually convinced right away.

I'm a little jealous of your BF% actually. I'm at about 11% or so right now (although I haven't checked in a month now, should probably get back to that bod pod soon) and with all my extra curricular stuff, I'm finding it really hard to get down to 10. Which makes me sad. But then again, my focus is more about explosive sports performance rather than body fat % and those are two very divergent paths with regards to calories consumed and training schedule (I do a ton of plyo and agility stuff, which doesn't necessarily lend itself to a fat burning regime, too much anaerobic work for it to be optimal), but I'll be damned if I'm not 1 full tenth of a second faster on my 40 time this year than last year (that's a big deal for an explosive athlete).
  • webbed1
    Sounds like you are training optimally for YOUR focus. If people aligned their training and nutrition to be sport/activity specific, they would enjoy better, faster results. Me, I am training bodybuilding style with some functional movement/strength stuff rotated in, and a third module of more power style training cycled in for 2-3 months of the year. My fascination with bodyfat at the moment is purely a function of my insistence that I discover a fairly precise formula for doing it, personally document low fat vs. low carb vs. balanced restricted calories, and get ready for a swimsuit and underwear photo shoot in 6 months--I think I am going to call it "Guys over 40 that rock"

Keep up the good work and hope to keep seeing you around.

Peace!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Awesome posts guys...lots to let absorb :).

Still on my phone so a full post is difficult lol..but I wanted to thank you for sharing!

Cris
This discussion has been closed.