HR mointer and fitness tracker

Options
Hi

Any recommendations for a combined HR mointer and fitness tracker?

Thanks

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a polar loop, I like it, would like more training features, but it works well.
  • zoelolarawlings
    zoelolarawlings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love my fitbit charge HR!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I'd separate them

I'd go for a basic activity monitor like a Fitbit one or Zip that you can clip into a pocket or your bra

Then a Chestband HRM for specific workouts such as a Polar FT4 - bear in mind that the calorie estimate is only really accurate (ish) for steady-state cardio

It will cost slightly less than the wristband HRMs and in my view give a more accurate reading over time
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Mine are separate. It would bother me to have something on my wrist all the time, so no special reason for me!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you participate in? What data do you want to track?
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I just recently (this week) upgraded to a Polar A300. I had a Polar Loop and didn't really like it. I also had a Polar FT4 and found myself going back to that for dedicated exercise and then wearing a cheap (and small) tracker, the Misfit Flash. I like the screen on the FT4 much better than the Loops display, hence the A300. I can have the display of the FT4 but with tracking and different exercise profiles. So far I love it BUT yesterday I had it linked to my H7 chest strap and had the Polar Beat app going for GPS for a training hike. When I synced everything I was counted double for distance, one from the steps on the A300 and one from the GPS. Annoying yes, but not a deal breaker. I think I will use a different GPS app next time to keep that from happening.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I generally run. Just getting back onto my diet and back into running after having a nasty ankle break. It's more to make sure the exercise cals are as accurate as possible.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7! I use it to help estimate my burns for all sorts of activities. It also helps me keep an eye on my HR (obviously) during long and intensive training sessions. Any tool you use, you will have an adjustment period figuring out how close the estimate is, which activities its more accurate on, etc. Guess and check.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    aneary1980 wrote: »
    I generally run. Just getting back onto my diet and back into running after having a nasty ankle break. It's more to make sure the exercise cals are as accurate as possible.

A GPS with HRM works ok for tracking running. The GPS will accurately track pace and distance with the ability to monitor that data over time. HRMs are great for tracking heart beats ... can be ok for some caloric estimations during steady state cardio such as running without rapid changes in effort and speed ... and are inaccurate for intervals, lifting, yoga, etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

A GPS with HRM works ok for tracking running. The GPS will accurately track pace and distance with the ability to monitor that data over time. HRMs are great for tracking heart beats ... can be ok for some caloric estimations during steady state cardio such as running without rapid changes in effort and speed ... and are inaccurate for intervals, lifting, yoga, etc.

All this...I don't own a HRM..never really saw the point. Even now that I am running I probably won't get one.

I am sticking with my activity tracker alone...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

All this...I don't own a HRM..never really saw the point. Even now that I am running I probably won't get one.

I am sticking with my activity tracker alone...

HRMs can be an extremely useful training tool. I use mine every workout (except swimming because Garmin does not pick up the sensor in the water). It is not as useful for calorie estimations.
    A lot of people also find it very useful as an indicator of effort which they use to push themselves.
    Pointless for some, yes, but it really depends on how you use it.
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin. for what I do works great. That's running and cycling but when I get my HR # I don't even know what they mean lol.